Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

move to cornwall..

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:
    OH NOES! A MAN FIGHT!
    We could fight in a bath of Branston Pickle. 

It would be officially the least erotic thing that's ever happened.
    Depends how much you like Branston I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited January 2015
    Thinking of just this. Live in London fortunately with a lot of equity. So looking to move to Devon and maybe relax a little career wise. Although have to wait till daughter finishes A levels.

Anywhere in mind? 

The AxeMeisters of Axminster has a nice ring to it.

Pity Axminster isn't in Somerset. GLORIOUS Somerset.
    My V key is broken
     maybe Branston is now Drew's trump card in the location wars!
    Nah mate, Japanese women are my patriarchal trump card in this debate.
  • holnrew said
    Pity Axminster is in Somerset. GLORIOUS Somerset.

The mighty Wikipedia says Devon.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    holnrew said
    Pity Axminster isn't in Somerset. GLORIOUS Somerset.

The mighty Wikipedia says Devon.
    Yes, I was right all along.
    My V key is broken
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17727
    tFB Trader

Hold the front page... I see that Branston used to made in Burton upon Trent... and only moved to Suffolk 10 years ago (so - hardly a Suffolk success story!)... and now - shock horror - Branston is owned by a Japanese company... so maybe Branston is now Drew's trump card in the location wars!

I actually only found out about it today which was the main reason I mentioned it. 

The biggest thing where I live is British Sugar which weirdly enough was designed by Stephen Fry's dad. 
  • It's something I've long thought about and would still love to do. Penzance, Newlyn or Mousehole would be my dream destination.
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235

Right.

Moved to Cornwall in 2004(retired). It is a very lovely place but:

The stuff down here that's free ie:beaches/scenery etc is fab

Stuff you have to pay for ie: social life, resturants etc are very patchy in their quality. Think setting the lowest standard and continually failing to achieve it.

Guitars shops in Cornwall are all pants. No stock and attitude.

Nothing like Guitar Village or Nevadas that I was used to.

Gardening jobs. Yes there are loads of old codgers down here that have their gardens done, so there is a market.As already said jobs are not easy to get and the pay is rubbish.

Houses:Just avoid buying a house near the coast or in any resort. You will be ripped off. Check out the prices in Rock or Porthleven.

Surfing is good down here.

Cream teas are the best and of course so are the pasties, despite what the other side of the border may claim.

Good luck if you move.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785
    Stevepage said:
    Me and the Mrs bought our little flat in Watford nearly two years ago and we've come to the realisation that we fecking hate this area. Properties are far too much for what they are and we don't fell safe.

The plan is to move to a house this year though we're not sure what area to move to next. Our dream is to move to Cornwall though we couldn't do that move just yet.

However it's a dream we desperately wish to have in the future. Has any one else done a big move down to the west country?

I work as a gardener/landscaper (not much landscaping though) and she works in retail but wants to get out of it. Is there a decent amount of work down there for gardeners?

Any advice is welcome.
    If you're thinking about having kids soon then seriously consider how far away from parents/inlaws you would want to be - I lived 300miles from any relatives when my first was born, now only 3miles since my 2nd was born and its brilliant having them so close to help.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Move North, seriously. Grew up in Thurrock, Essex, Hatfield for Uni, then moved to Watford (Langley Road, loved it, whereabouts are you?), then Brighton, now in Wakefield.

Seriously, every things half the price and basically the same as the South, but people smile at you.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15709
    just want to counter this myth that houses in the SW are expensive. It is expensive if you stick to the honeypot areas, but get away from that and it seem pretty reasonable to me, for example, we sold our 2 up 2 down in a Hertfordshire commuter village and was able to buy a 3 bed semi detached cob cottage with just shy of an acre, multiple out buildings and that backs onto open fields in a tiny village in a very rural part of the county with the proceeds. From memory, our neighbours paid less than 200k for their 3 bed cottage with a more normal sized garden.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    Move North, seriously. Grew up in Thurrock, Essex, Hatfield for Uni, then moved to Watford (Langley Road, loved it, whereabouts are you?), then Brighton, now in Wakefield.

Seriously, every things half the price and basically the same as the South, but people smile at you.
    We only smile at you because we feel sorry for you. Coming from the South and all that.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_Munkee said:
    We only smile at you because we feel sorry for you. Coming from the South and all that.
    I thought it was just trapped wind.
    :)
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited January 2015
    Is Cornwall any cheaper than Watford? I heard that Cornwall had the most unaffordable part of the UK in terms of ratio of house prices to local wages.

Is there anywhere else that not such a big move? @monquixote mentioned Suffolk. Maybe also consider Norfolk? Norwich is a nice city, not too expensive and seems pretty safe (apart from the usual Saturday night rowdiness on Prince of Wales Road), and nice countryside and the Broads nearby, West Norfolk coast is lovely.  In-laws live in Norwich and they love it. You could probably swap your Watford flat for a small terraced house not too far from the centre.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12034

The problem with Cornwall is that its full of Londoners who have moved there to get away from Londoners.
    I noticed that too
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12034
    If you're going to play 'the beer card', Mr Monquixote... I'll never get to leave the Home Counties! Not sure I could countenance living anywhere that didn't have Fullers' ESB on tap within a reasonable drive (for my wife - the designated driver).
    We also have Adnams and Aspall Cyder which makes us the best :)
    There speaks a man that simply has not invested sufficient time supping copious quantities of Fullers' ESB.
    ;)
    Not so. 

I used to live near Chiswick and I've done the Fullers tour :p

ESP is very nice, but Broadside is better.

of course you'd have to move to Staffordshire for bitter really, since we invented it

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    FX_Munkee said:
    I thought it was just trapped wind.
    :)
    yeah, sorry about that. I blame it on all that tripe that we have to eat due to contractual stereotype reasons.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • I don't know anything about Cornwall (other than a holiday about 15 years ago), but I can recommend Suffolk as a place to live (yes I know it's the opposite direction). It's got good countryside, lowish crime rates, lots of nice countryside and coast, lots of sun and not much rain, not insane house prices and it's largely rural which would suggest there would be plenty of outdoorsy work for you to do.

Also in my home town we make most of the UK's sugar, Greene King IPA, and Branston Pickle, what's not to love?
    Keep it quiet mate! We can't take any more "furriners". The place is already suffering from burgeoning new "developments"

@Stevepage I tell you IT'S CRAP. DON'T COME HERE
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15709
    mellowsun said:
    Is Cornwall any cheaper than Watford? I heard that Cornwall had the most unaffordable part of the UK in terms of ratio of house prices to local wages.

erm yes. Wages are low, but so are house prices. Just as an example (you can look up house prices on the internet, who knew?!?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E1408&minBedrooms=2&displayPropertyType=flats&googleAnalyticsChannel=buying 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E1365&insId=1&minBedrooms=2&displayPropertyType=flats&oldDisplayPropertyType=flats&googleAnalyticsChannel=buying

just picked a town in cornwall of a similar size to Watford.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

If you move to Cornland, you'll have to learn the language. Think about it...