Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

move to cornwall..

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11953
    We searched long and hard, and the best compromise was Cheshire

Barclays did a survey on the most affluent constituency, initially about 10 years ago, it was Tatton (Osborne's the MP)
    2nd or 3rd highest income after Kensington and Chelsea, but house prices much lower
    http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/archive/2005/12/14/5335808.Welcome_to_the_wealthy_world_of_Tatton/?ref=arc
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1525870/Why-theyre-better-off-up-North.html
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/2002/aug/14/uknews1
    Remember, this are includes loads of normal housing too, and those well off people need gardeners etc

a more recent survey said similar, but more London areas with higher incomes now:
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2007/aug/24/politics.communities

In the "normal" parts of Tatton, house prices in pretty villages recently have been - 5 bed detached 70s/80s build for £225k, 3 mins walk from Ofsted outstanding. No strong local accent to make you feel alien, easy commute into Manc or Liverpool.
    Weather is far better than anywhere nearby
    Gardeners here charge up to £35 an hour, typically £15 for a lawn mow
    cash in hand odd jobs from neighbours who want extra cash runs at £10 an hour

You can get very cheap houses in Liverpool, you can get a 2 bed terrace in good condition for £35k, but it's not a holiday vibe of course, and that is in a poorer area

Out in Wirral, you can get a 3 bed terrace for £125k, and it has a lovely beach, and easy commute into Liverpool for other work
    on the whole I'd recommend central Cheshire for quality of life vs earning potential and opportunities for anyone's kids
    I considered Cornwall a long time ago, and concluded that if you're not a GP, solicitor, teacher, policeman, etc., then Cornwall is best to retire to than to work in
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One of the reasons I've considering Devon (around the Exeter area), is that it is only about 2 hours to Paddington.
    I work a an IT consultant so used to be on the road all the time. When not working from home I'm at a customer site, with travel and hotels paid for.
    Moving to Devon I could halve my mortgage, yet get a fully detached 5 to 7 bed character house with a nice plot of land, moving from run of the mill Victorian 4 bed terrace in SE London.

One of the reasons I've considering Devon (around the Exeter area), is that it is only about 2 hours to Paddington.
    I work a an IT consultant so used to be on the road all the time. When not working from home I'm at a customer site, with travel and hotels paid for.
    Moving to Devon I could halve my mortgage, yet get a fully detached 5 to 7 bed character house with a nice plot of land, moving from run of the mill Victorian 4 bed terrace in SE London.

Lichfield is 1 hour to London, it's a lovely town

Crewe is 1.5 hours to London, town centre average but surrounding villages lovely

HS2 coming too
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    can you really get from Lichfield to London in an hour ? Lovely little town though it is.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • One of the reasons I've considering Devon (around the Exeter area), is that it is only about 2 hours to Paddington.

Lichfield is 1 hour to London, it's a lovely town

Crewe is 1.5 hours to London, town centre average but surrounding villages lovely

HS2 coming too
    I'm Devonshire born and bred (with a stint in Germany), I also prefer the climate in the SW.

edited January 2015
    can you really get from Lichfield to London in an hour ? Lovely little town though it is.
    my recollection was an hour when I researched 10 years ago when I thought of moving back to the west mids
    1:15 into Euston now apparently
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Quite surprised. I don't know Lichfield well but it seems nice. I had a blind date there once with a woman who turned out to be a bit mental so I didn't feel like going back for a long time !
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Quite surprised. I don't know Lichfield well but it seems nice. I had a blind date there once with a woman who turned out to be a bit mental so I didn't feel like going back for a long time !
    England's third cathedral city, seen as a posh commuter town for brum, and a classier town to live in than the neighbours. Like any town, still has council estates of course, but not scary ones