Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Victory Amps Launching tomorrow!!

What's Hot
spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
Well I'm just full of new toy info today aren't I! There are a few sneaky demos out there already. I know I'll be checking these out. Just concerned about the price tag!

http://www.victoryamps.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Price leaked a little on the Andertons site:

Interesting features, but not sure they really justify the price.
    <space for hire>
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    I'm waiting for the release of their 'Biggles' 3x10 combo.

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 841
    edited October 2013
    Re-worked carrera for twice the price? And a couple of reworked MK 50's. Wasn't a 100 MK50 made for Gary Moore?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The V100 isn't a rework of the MK50, I don't think. It was specced from the ground up by Rob Chapman, and now Guthrie's using one too.
    <space for hire>
  • Old cynic that I am ha ha! Yep knew Guthrie was using one, will be interesting to hear one.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited October 2013
    The V100 isn't a rework of the MK50, I don't think. It was specced from the ground up by Rob Chapman, and now Guthrie's using one too.
    I'm not sure. The was a 'Monkey Lord' amp with the Monkey logo which mutated into a Victory amp and is being launched as a Rob Chapman signature model under the moniker Silverback. I'm pretty sure the amp Guthrie has is in the 'Cornford' ball park sound wise. Rob Chapman has used Cornford amps in the past. I gleaned this info from posts on the Cornford and Rob Chapman forums. It could all be bollocks though ..

I'm not sure about the logo or name ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7504
    edited October 2013
    Quite expensive, for a ten watter!

I never trust "specced from the ground up". It's probably just a modded existing circuit, like a Marshall alike, or a cornford alike.

Truthfully, I always thought cornfords sounded like a Marshall with some krang smoothed out...

So, they probably sound like something available cheaper. My Oh my, I'm one cynical son of a gun.

That said, if they are original, unique sounding (and I mean unique, not just "slightly different to a...") amps, then I'll happily eat humble pie :)

Not really into Guthrie 's live tone, it's a bit too tame and tasteful for me. Designed to not offend, I suppose... But his sounds on record are pretty good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    The V100 isn't a rework of the MK50, I don't think. It was specced from the ground up by Rob Chapman, and now Guthrie's using one too.
    I'm not sure. The was a 'Monkey Lord' amp with the Monkey logo which mutated into a Victory amp and is being launched as a Rob Chapman signature model under the moniker Silverback. I'm pretty sure the amp Guthrie has is in the 'Cornford' ball park sound wise. Rob Chapman has used Cornford amps in the past. I gleaned this info from posts on the Cornford and Rob Chapman forums. It could all be bollocks though ..

That's kind of it - Rob wanted an amp, but he didn't want it known as the "Rob Chapman Signature"; MK was launching a new brand, so they decided to work together based on the fact that MK wanted a kickstart to his launch campaign (without the £££££ associated with landing a big-name artist) and Rob loves MK's work.

Guthrie's comments about the graphics on the early Silverback protos were rather amusing, though - something like "...this ridiculous monkey-lettering..." :D
    <space for hire>
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    not a massive fan of Guthrie's tone, but it works well for his style to highlight all the nuances of his playing. wasn't the RK Cornford the good one ?

• Re-worked carrera for twice the price? And a couple of reworked MK 50's. Wasn't a 100 MK50 made for Gary Moore?

I agree!

These are based on the old Cornford circuits with some pcb sections to keep costs down. Is just a rebadged Cornford brand with a couple of 'New features' to avoid being a carbon copy.

Pick up a seconhand Cornford and save your money!

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Lets hope their customer service is better than the poxy service one got from Cornford. I won't buy aby amp let alone a Cornford again without a reasonable customer service
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    wow that's even more expensive than the carrera. and i thought the carrera was pretty expensive.
  • Obviously it'll depend on the headroom of this particular amp, but it strikes me that 10W isn't going to be enough for a gigging context; the minimum I'd usually consider is 15W, but preferably 20W. Then again, 10W is way too much for home use without if you like cranking it a bit without an attenuator. That leaves recording.

£1200+ for a recording amp isn't something I feel comfortable with...I have a feeling that this amp is going to have a fairly small niche ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Fretwired said:
    I'm sure. I think they are terrible. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575

this kind of comment always "amuses" me
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • From looks alone I'll find them easy to swerve. If they sound anything like the Cornford's I've had, even easier. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7504
    edited October 2013
    bertie;46807" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

this kind of comment always "amuses" me
    There are other hand wired single channel amps for a lot less in that power bracket. I know wattage doesn't equal cost, but this does still seem really pricey for what it is!

From what I've seen, more powerful amps have a lot more going on inside, so they can justify the cost.

Edit: there are hand wired vox or orange amps that cost less. Okay, feature wise, I don't know how they'll fare, but it doesn't look like this one offers anything particularly different?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27460
    There are other hand wired single channel amps for a lot less in that power bracket. I know wattage doesn't equal cost, but this does still seem really pricey for what it is! 

From what I've seen, more powerful amps have a lot more going on inside, so they can justify the cost.

Edit: there are hand wired vox or orange amps that cost less. Okay, feature wise, I don't know how they'll fare, but it doesn't look like this one offers anything particularly different?
    There are cheaper handwired amps, but those are made in the far east, and this is made in the UK. That's the bulk of the cost difference right there.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddle;46846" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

There are cheaper handwired amps, but those are made in the far east, and this is made in the UK. That's the bulk of the cost difference right there.
    *eats own words*

I take it all back. Didn't realise they were far eastern manufactured!

I eagerly anticipate the video demos.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6402
    Left feeling a bit meh overall .....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback