Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Victory Amps Launching tomorrow!!

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

For what it's worth, I seem to recall Rob talking about Victory branching out into a cheaper made-in-the-East range too. That might fix the former...

I guess the plan is to bring out the flagship mega expensive models, get the guitar geeks lusting after them, a few sales, then release the cheaper off shore produced range to satisify the larger section of the market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Is there a customer service telephone number with someone actually answering it? If there isn't then the victory fate is sealed in my opinion
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8566

I guess Blackstar did the same, started with the handwired amps (albeit manufactured in the East), then moved on from there, and they seem to be doing OK for themselves.

There's maybe a (small) market so long as Marshall sit on their considerable laurals and do nothing of note.

I'm not in the market for one, but good luck to them, a UK made amp from a well respected amp designer.

• dindude said:

I guess Blackstar did the same, started with the handwired amps (albeit manufactured in the East), then moved on from there, and they seem to be doing OK for themselves.

There's maybe a (small) market so long as Marshall sit on their considerable laurals and do nothing of note.

I'm not in the market for one, but good luck to them, a UK made amp from a well respected amp designer.

Blackstar seemed to go heavy on getting big as well as up and coming named acts on the roster fairly quickly.  No idea how they did it but it seems to be a good plan because a lot of people know the brand internationally judging from webforums.

I still can't think of more than a handful of Cornford players off the top of my head.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10517

Unfortunately with a product like this it's  priced too high because (relatively speaking ) no one will buy it. Small sales mean a big old margin in needed on each and everyone. What depresses me is companies keep turning out the same old stuff all the time and rely on "hand wired" or "designed from the ground up" as the ad slang to sell it rather than actually coming up with anything new. 

The 10 watts wouldn't bother me, that's plenty when your mic'ed up and I don't care what it looks like as it's meant to be a tool not a piece of furniture. But for that kind of money I want more than another tired old valve amp in a box. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1957

I think the terminology is spot on here, they have 'picked up' a couple of endorsees. I don't know what these guys relationship is with Victory, but to me, there is just a travelling circuit of players who endorse stuff...to me, does not mean a damn thing. I know one Cornford endorsee who thought they were absolute rubbish, and wouldn't use them beyond a backup rig. There are very few endorsements where I think there is anything meaningful in the relationship.

Like the comment about Chappers fans not being able to afford them...bit bitchy, but made me laugh :-)

digitalscream;47548" said:

The other problem is that he's effectively picked up two medium-profile players - Guthrie and Rob Chapman. Unfortunately, most of Guthrie's fans already know exactly what they want (and, generally-speaking, already have it). 99% of Rob's fans wouldn't have a hope in hell of being able to drop £1500 - £2000 on a giggable amp.

For what it's worth, I seem to recall Rob talking about Victory branching out into a cheaper made-in-the-East range too. That might fix the former...
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    It seems that there is a general air of negativity about these amps, and this is before anyone has played through one!

I would agree that for £1500-2000 you have a massive choice of amps, both new and vintage.

These amps are clearly aimed at the gap in the market left by the demise of Cornford. Conford amps had a following, so presumably the backers of this venture are convinced that there is a market for Victory amps.

I have to admit I was not a fan of Cornford amps on several levels, however I never felt the need to fulminate on the subject on internet fora.

No one who wants to earn a very large amount of money (or possibly any money) would start an amp company (I know...), so the people behind this will be doing it because they believe in the product.

To describe the appearance of these amps on the market as "depressing" is daft.

There is a ton of gear on the market I have no interest in, so I simply ignore it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I have nothing against these amps just the customer service of Cornford amps to which he's associated with. I just hope it's been implemented in the scheme of things with price tags like those etc :)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8566
    jpfamps said:
    It seems that there is a general air of negativity about these amps, and this is before anyone has played through one!

I would agree that for £1500-2000 you have a massive choice of amps, both new and vintage.

These amps are clearly aimed at the gap in the market left by the demise of Cornford. Conford amps had a following, so presumably the backers of this venture are convinced that there is a market for Victory amps.

I have to admit I was not a fan of Cornford amps on several levels, however I never felt the need to fulminate on the subject on internet fora.

No one who wants to earn a very large amount of money (or possibly any money) would start an amp company (I know...), so the people behind this will be doing it because they believe in the product.

To describe the appearance of these amps on the market as "depressing" is daft.

There is a ton of gear on the market I have no interest in, so I simply ignore it.

Thank you and goodnight, sense at last!

PS: I await the latest piece of chinese manufactured throw-away shite that also doen't move the game on but everyone on here raves about. This place is like the anti-TGP at times, you ain't nobody if you ain't got a board full of mooers and an Argos bought Nux pedal.

I'm being deliberatly confrontational, so facepalm away ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    Ugly
    Expensive
    Not really giggable next to a loud drummer.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Ugly
    Expensive
    Not really giggable next to a loud drummer.

You forgot to mention "Monkey Lord" *chortle*
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    I agree though a lot of negativity but it must have come from somewhere. Whatever Cornford has done in the past has caused a bit of a firing line for himself. Don't screw with your public I say, let alone guitarists with a lot of money to spend ;)
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:

PS: I await the latest piece of chinese manufactured throw-away shite that also doen't move the game on but everyone on here raves about. This place is like the anti-TGP at times, you ain't nobody if you ain't got a board full of mooers and an Argos bought Nux pedal.

Heh heh! :)  Some truth there!

Some quite negative reviews here, considering no-ones heard them. It might sound amazing. Maybe its a "face fits" thing? The Cornford association? Other brands (I won't mention them) make amps that are just as, or more, expensive and are hardly earth shattering in terms of novelty, yet there's never a bad word spoken of them. 

:-/ :-/
  • Lodious said:

Like the comment about Chappers fans not being able to afford them...bit bitchy, but made me laugh :-)

I wasn't intending to be bitchy - hell, I'm one of his fans (mostly), and I know I couldn't possibly justify spending that much on an amp. It's just simple demographics...given that most of his fans seem to be in the 12 - 21 age group, I think it's a fairly safe bet that they couldn't either.
    <space for hire>
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1957
    OK, fair enough, sorry for taking the comment out of context.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29046
    I thought that one was funny.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Hey! What happens if they sound f@@kin awesome? (Thought I'd just sling in the curve ball!) he he! \:D/
  • Lodious said:
    OK, fair enough, sorry for taking the comment out of context.
    No worries, I can see how you'd come to that conclusion :)

Sporky said:
    I thought that one was funny.
    Well, I thought it deserved a Wisdom, but it seems nobody agrees with either of us ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Hey! What happens if they sound f@@kin awesome? (Thought I'd just sling in the curve ball!) he he! \:D/
    They'll still be Too Damn Expensive ;)
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    Hey! What happens if they sound f@@kin awesome? (Thought I'd just sling in the curve ball!) he he! \:D/
    They'll still be Too Damn Expensive ;)

And not loud enough.