Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Victory Amps Launching tomorrow!!

What's Hot

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2378
    There are cheaper handwired amps, but those are made in the far east, and this is made in the UK. That's the bulk of the cost difference right there.
    I paid £280 for my hayden petite 5. Admittedly, it was that time Andertons had them on offer, but still. I wouldn't have wanted to pay much more for a low wattage amp, even a good one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540

Miserable bunch off gits the lot of ya ;)

Honestly, have listen to yourself, all I've read is curmudgeon, curmudgeon, curmudgeon.

BTW, a Carrera retailed for just below a grand - 8 YEARS AGO!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Dave_Mc said:
    I paid £280 for my hayden petite 5. Admittedly, it was that time Andertons had them on offer, but still. I wouldn't have wanted to pay much more for a low wattage amp, even a good one.

Point gone well over my head. I wouldn't pay £4.50 for a Hayden based on the few I've tried, doesn't mean I wouldn't pay over a grand for a great amp though, if funds allowed.
    8->

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited October 2013
    Fretwired said:
    I'm not sure about the logo or name ...
    I'm sure. I think they are terrible. 
    @GuitarMonkey having seem them in the video I think the laurel leaf with the V just looks naff. It's the sort of thing you'd see on some high-end designer hand bag not a guitar amp.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Look b****y awful ......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:

Miserable bunch off gits the lot of ya ;)

Honestly, have listen to yourself, all I've read is curmudgeon, curmudgeon, curmudgeon.

BTW, a Carrera retailed for just below a grand - 8 YEARS AGO!

Yup, and I wouldn't have paid a grand for it back then either ;)
    <space for hire>
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    These amps are doing nothing for me. Just makes me realise how happy I am with my rig etc :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • These amps are doing nothing for me. Just makes me realise how happy I am with my rig etc :)

What are you playing through these days amp wise!

Looking at EVH 5150iii now. Seems to be good across the board. Rockmonster seems to rate them.

I have a lazy J20 and love it :)
    Fortheloveofguitar;47196" said:
    hotpickups said:

These amps are doing nothing for me. Just makes me realise how happy I am with my rig etc :)

What are you playing through these days amp wise!Looking at EVH 5150iii now. Seems to be good across the board. Rockmonster seems to rate them.
  • Aren't there enough amps on the market already? From very cheap to very expensive, it seems to me that the variety of amps available now is ridiculous...

I wish anyone with the bottle to start a business the best of luck. I'm not convinced there's the demand out there to ensure their survival.

I hope I'm wrong....
    Yes I agree. I think he's missed the boat. Unless it can do the dishes too ;)
    richardhomer;47224" said:
    Aren't there enough amps on the market already? From very cheap to very expensive, it seems to me that the variety of amps available now is ridiculous...

I wish anyone with the bottle to start a business the best of luck. I'm not convinced there's the demand out there to ensure their survival.

I hope I'm wrong....
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Aren't there enough amps on the market already? From very cheap to very expensive, it seems to me that the variety of amps available now is ridiculous...

I hope I'm wrong....
    Finally got directed to this forum!

There probably aren't many UK companies that rely solely on building amps themselves (rather than contracting out the work) as their major source of income.

As you aren't going to be competing on price if you manufacturer in the UK, you have to do something that stands out.

At least these amps have their styling and don't seem to be copies of anything else.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2378
    edited October 2013
    dindude said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Point gone well over my head. I wouldn't pay £4.50 for a Hayden based on the few I've tried, doesn't mean I wouldn't pay over a grand for a great amp though, if funds allowed.
    8->

I quite like my hayden

I didn't much like the carrera (which is weird, I went in expecting to like it as i'd really liked the hurricane I'd tried)

But the bigger point I was trying to make is that those low wattage amps are kind of a one-trick pony that often falls between two stools. But I suppose if they suit what you need (recording, i guess), they might be worth it...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm basically the prime target for the 100watter and I wouldn't buy it.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 839
    edited October 2013
    I liked the hurricane but it wasn't man enough to do what I need in a band but I thought the carrera was bloody awful! I used Mk50's for years.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947

I don't want be negative, but they look abysmal,and apart from the rank styling, I can't see it being any different of the other UK brands that have started and faded over the last 10/20/30 years. I predict good reviews in Guitarist magazine and making a big deal over some minor tweak to a 40 year old circuit, some mega reviews on internet forums, your wealthy mate buying one, a few youtube reviews by b-list guitar clebs....then they will then start appearing in classified ad's with the formentioned internet reviewers ditching them because actually, they weren't much different to what they had before, and there is a new brand in town....

Actually, reading back, I obviously do want to be negative and i'll probably get a lot of shit for posting this, which means I won't ever be able to use the classifieds until I reinvent myself...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lodious said:

I don't want be negative, but they look abysmal,and apart from the rank styling, I can't see it being any different of the other UK brands that have started and faded over the last 10/20/30 years. I predict good reviews in Guitarist magazine and making a big deal over some minor tweak to a 40 year old circuit, some mega reviews on internet forums, your wealthy mate buying one, a few youtube reviews by b-list guitar clebs....then they will then start appearing in classified ad's with the formentioned internet reviewers ditching them because actually, they weren't much different to what they had before, and there is a new brand in town....

Actually, reading back, I obviously do want to be negative and i'll probably get a lot of shit for posting this, which means I won't ever be able to use the classifieds until I reinvent myself...

Ha ha!
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    jpfamps said:

Finally got directed to this forum!
    Welcome to  theFB , glad you made it. :)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Lodious said:

I predict good reviews in Guitarist magazine and making a big deal over some minor tweak to a 40 year old circuit, 

It's more likely that they are a tweak of a more recent design, most probably the Cornford amps as they were designed by the same person Martin Kidd.

In my view there was far more innovation in valve circuits in the 50s and 60s than there are now as guitar amp circuits have become more "standardized" (for example nearly all guitar amps use the tonestack invented by Fender in the late 50s, even though there are plenty of other tone control circuits), so a variation on a 40 year old design may actually be more interesting than a tweak of a more recent design.

• Gotta say, I actually quite like the way they look.

However, the main thing anybody has to do when they're bringing a new product to the market is that they have to solve a problem that's out there, or do something useful that nothing else does.

I really can't see that being the case here.

The other problem is that he's effectively picked up two medium-profile players - Guthrie and Rob Chapman. Unfortunately, most of Guthrie's fans already know exactly what they want (and, generally-speaking, already have it). 99% of Rob's fans wouldn't have a hope in hell of being able to drop £1500 - £2000 on a giggable amp.

For what it's worth, I seem to recall Rob talking about Victory branching out into a cheaper made-in-the-East range too. That might fix the former...
    <space for hire>