Clay / Game Shooters

What's Hot
SRichSRich Frets: 762
Just renewing my shotgun licence and wondered if there were any here who partake?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Yes my friend, I do. Sporting clays these days, Recently I sold my side by side game gun as I had lost interest in rough shooting and driven pheasants is expensive in Ireland. Good to know that there are a few of us kicking around....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065

I had a go at Clay shooting once.   Got nine out of ten on my first go and haven't picked up a gun since. 

It just wasn't very exciting.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    My father-in-law and brother-in-law are big shooters. They both get GAS for various shooty things just like I do with guitars.

Been a few times with them and it is great fun.

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I'm a wannabe shooter. Probably have a go after the pheasant season is finished as a mate here at work runs a shoot on the weekends. Once the pheasants are done he said he'll give me a go at some clays.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I partake from time to time - clays only these days.

Raised on a farm so I do enjoy shooting, shotgun or rifle. Would like to do more but it's an expensive hobby outside the farm.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited January 2015
    I have heard it popular in France these days.....................to soon??
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Its never too soon on this forum. Deirdre Barlow told me that.

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to give it a go. I wonder how I could get involved... find someone with some land that goes shooting and befriend them?
  • Was big into shooting of all types in the past. I used to compete internationally at Practical Pistol and atNational level at Police Pistol. Had a very nice custom made 7.62 rifle that used to shoot at Bisley with open sights up to 1000 yds. It was a fantastic rifle.
    In those days I had 12 Pistols/Revolvers a couple of Rifles and shotguns.
    Did a fair amount of Clay stuff , but never any rough shooting. I always fancied a Beretta 686 , but used  to use a nice Shotgun called a "Lincoln" which had screw in variable chokes. Don't know much about it , but just felt right when I bought it.
    If I remember I traded in a .44 Magnum 3" snub nose revolver made by Astra. That was a real beast!

Not fired a firearm really since Dunblane and most of my guns were taken in and destroyed. Often thought about going back to Clays , but most shooting is a bit tame after Practical Pistol.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    RobDavies said:

I had a go at Clay shooting once.   Got nine out of ten on my first go and haven't picked up a gun since. 

It just wasn't very exciting.

This - plus it fooking hurt and I was deaf in one ear for days .....

Calling @filthy_phil - he's a shootist.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485

used to do a fair bit of game shooting and some clays (generally find target shooting boring and only do it to improve/maintain skills for game shooting) but mostly now limit myself to "stranger" and "people I don't like" shooting. Better practice for the inevitable zombie uprising/collapse of civilisation as we know it.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    I'd love to give it a go. I wonder how I could get involved... find someone with some land that goes shooting and befriend them?
    You'd be better doing a quick google for Clay Shooting Clubs / Grounds or just simply Clay Shooting and you'll probably find a local club that shoots on Sunday mornings. If you present yourself there one day and speak with the membership guy, they will almost certainly give you a try to see if you like it........most local clubs are quite friendly and welcome newbies. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I fancy trying clay pigeon shooting, but I'm an animal homo and hate game shooting.
    My V key is broken
  • I'm down with clay shooting, but game shooting is for people who need tweezers to masterbate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'm down with clay shooting, but game shooting is for people who need tweezers to masterbate.

Or people who like eating game?

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I'm down with clay shooting, but game shooting is for people who need tweezers to masterbate.
    darn right, no way we should be killing any animals for food. It's unnatural and wrong.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited January 2015
    I have far less of a problem with people doing it if they are actually eating it if I'm honest, but people who think they are hunters when they are shooting a nervous bird that flies vertically (like a quail) are the ones I have an issue with. We used to get them sneaking through the forest next to my house. One minute your enjoying the peace out with the animals, next thing a shotgun goes off, shocking you and terrifying the animals we kept to the point where they'd shake. Pheasants are bred to be shot, they leave them food in barrels so they stay nearby. Proper hunting that is.

So yeah, not a fan is my mild way of putting it. Anecdotal evidence, but I have many to choose from. Like the time we complained to a bunch of them who were killing rabbits. They kindly left a baby rabbit floating in a water trough for us.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
     Like the time we complained to a bunch of them who were killing rabbits. They kindly left a baby rabbit floating in a water trough for us.  

That was lucky

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I have less of a problem with shooting true wild animals to eat, but gaming reserves and game keeping are bad for wildlife and I personally don't like the idea of almost raising animals to kill for fun.
    My V key is broken
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited January 2015
    @Col_Decker - Yeah, shame he couldn't do a Dick Cheney to one of his mates really. Life is seldom that poetic.