Clay / Game Shooters

What's Hot

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    10,000 birds in a day does not resemble most shoots. More like 400 for ten guns, of your lucky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    VimFuego said:

Only shot game once though, that was a complete waste of time. Sat in a field of cabbages, or some other crop, waiting for pigeons to come in to land for absolutely ages, and no sign of the bastards whatsoever. We finally got so bored, we packed our gear up and as we trudged back to the van, what appeared to be the entire pigeon population of Kent took off from the same fucking field. Bastards.

oddly enough, I'm more than happy to sit in a field somewhere for hours and not get a thing, but have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a range.

I did go once or twice more, but that time in the field I think it had been the farmer asking us to do some pest-control. Not we controlled any pests that day. Rough shooting was therefore a cheap day, not bad if the weather was good, but I found it disappointing if I never shot at least a pigeon. Which I never did.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Oddly enough, wild pheasants, which I shoot, need a serious cull each year if the pheasant is to survive as a wild bird. In Ireland we are prohibited from shooting wild hen pheasants, only cocks may be shot. This I believe is a mistake as families need to be broken up and scattered to strengthen the breed. Shooting pigeons feeding on barley or peas is simple enough but more slaughter than sport. And I did my share - in return for rough shooting permissions. Easy easy. Sit near the field gate and watch the field for a half hour. Pigeons feed together and for some unknown reason choose a small part (of a big field) to eat on that day. Set up a hide at that spot, set out a few decoys and have enough ammunition to hand. I usually carried a carton (250) with another in the car. A second gun is handy when the first gets too warm! In those situations hides are often not needed, the birds behave like kamikaze pilots. The pickup afterwards is not pleasant work. But crop protection shooting has to be done, a flock of pigeons can destroy 20% of a crop in a few days. Such shooting is not sport, not by any meaning of the word.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited January 2015
    VimFuego said:

what can I say, some people in the world are arseholes, including some people who shoot. Some people who play guitar are also arseholes, but I would never go round calling all people who play guitar dicks or saying they played guitar to compensate for a small dick.

Okay, I'll rephrase. People who shoot game for fun (I was using game in the 'competitive activity' sense), have small dicks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I wouldn't know, I've not seen their penises.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    VimFuego said:
    imalone said:
    VimFuego said:

eating meat entails killing an animal, if you eat meat you are responsible for that death, it's no different if you pulled the trigger or had it done to some terrified animal in a slaughter house somewhere. I respect vegetarians who dislike hunting, I have no respect for meat eaters who condemn hunters.

I wouldn't say I'm against hunting except in its crueller forms, but there is a line somewhere between animals being killed for meat and shooting 10,000 birds in a day (impressive as that may be).
    Is there a line? Does the 10,000th bird feel worse for being shot than the 1st. Why is 10k birds being shot wrong but 10k chickens being killed in a slaughter house OK? What exactly is it you are objecting to here?
    Partly wastefulness I suppose, and partly that it stops resembling hunting.

Evilmags said:
    10,000 birds in a day does not resemble most shoots. More like 400 for ten guns, of your lucky.
    Yes, the world record is around this, and that's really another part of what I find a bit extreme about it, doing it to hit a record.

wasn't the 10k birds thing one of them Edwardian shooting parties? I'm not up on  the shooting scene, but I'd be amazed if anywhere near that number were shot today. Bit harsh to judge todays shooters with the antics of people 100 years ago.

As for wastefulness, I also abhor waste, but I'm pretty sure the birds didn't give a flying fuck that they were going to be eaten or not.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    VimFuego said:

wasn't the 10k birds thing one of them Edwardian shooting parties? I'm not up on  the shooting scene, but I'd be amazed if anywhere near that number were shot today. Bit harsh to judge todays shooters with the antics of people 100 years ago.

As for wastefulness, I also abhor waste, but I'm pretty sure the birds didn't give a flying fuck that they were going to be eaten or not.

It just seems excessive. That one's actually quite recent, don't know if this is the current record or not http://www.dovehuntinginargentina.org/dr-todd-white-dove-shooting-world-record.html There's a population control justification, don't know whether it's real or not, Amazonian loggers would probably tell you they've got too many trees. It's seriously impressive, but maybe stretches the term hunting.
    ah, Argentina, I kinda assumed we were basically restricting this discussion to shooting in Britain (and Ireland).

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    VimFuego said:
    ah, Argentina, I kinda assumed we were basically restricting this discussion to shooting in Britain (and Ireland).
    Heh..............all I originally asked was if there were anyone here who game or clay shoot.........lookeee what I started!  :-SS

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    edited January 2015
    I eat meat and I have no difficulty with hunting if the animal is going to be eaten.

In fact I think a long range shot to the head without warning / fear is far more humane than an abattoir.

Culls for scientifically valid reasons - a necessary evil.

But hunting just for the enjoyment of killing when the animal is considered a disposable plaything - nope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't personally like trophy hunting, however so long as the animal is killed as humanely as possible and has lived a natural life then I feel there are worse evils in the world. IME animals don't care why you kill them, none of them enjoy it. They don't sit there, on their little cloud in animal heaven and think, well at least I died to feed someone.

edited January 2015

EDITED cos I'm an arse.

edited January 2015

Did you see this lass on the news (sorry for the DM link) Rachel Carrie Trolled on twitter for shooting stuff, I don't think she gives two shits about trolls though.

I quite like the idea of being able to hunt/shoot an animal, kill it, prep it, and eat it. I eat meat so I feel better knowing where it came from. Plus on some level its more fair to the animal as it has a chance to escape (especially trout and salmon .. have you seen my fly casting?). No animals ever escape from the abattoir.

I don't get trophy hunting, but I'm quite happy with fox hunting.

(btw enjoy that link, she's a babe)

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

edited January 2015
    VimFuego said:
    Somert about someting.
    Edited cos he's an arse

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774

Did you see this lass on the news (sorry for the DM link) Rachel Carrie Trolled on twitter for shooting stuff, I don't think she gives two shits about trolls though.

I quite like the idea of being able to hunt/shoot an animal, kill it, prep it, and eat it. I eat meat so I feel better knowing where it came from. Plus on some level its more fair to the animal as it has a chance to escape (especially trout and salmon .. have you seen my fly casting?). No animals ever escape from the abattoir.

Ahem....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-13503690

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

it took me a couple of seconds but I got there.

lol'd

lloyd said:

Ahem....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-13503690

my primary school was located next door to the village butcher (who had an abattoir attached) and every so often we'd be kept in lock down cos a pig had escaped and they had to recapture it.