"Guilty" Pleasures

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I'm feeling brave enough to mention Dido too.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    edited October 2013
    @breakstuff - hopelessly devoted is a completely amazing song. A mate of mine plays keys in olivia newton john's band and says he gets prickles every time they do it. Check recent youtube versions, she still belts it out as well as ever. Here's them last year. Beautiful.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Megii;47216" said:
    I seem to have collected just about everything ever released by Everything But The Girl....
    Baby the Stars Shine Bright is a corking album.

INXS
    Simple Minds, the early stuff up til and including New Gold Dream
    Hanson - A Minute Without You, great pop song loved it since its release.
    Ah now we've hit on one of mine, then, cos I love Simple Minds' latest two or three albums. Saw them in April, effing loved it.

I really like quite a few Sugababes songs but I've never got round to buying them

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444
    Yep she's still got it.Great tone in her voice.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73173

Superstar by Jamelia.Great pop song.
    I've got two of Jamelia's albums (including the one that's on), they're very good.

breakstuff said:

Also most of Robbie Williams early stuff.Really dropped a bollock when he let Guy Chambers go.
    Good call. Have some Wisdom. Angels might be overplayed (or at least it was around 2000), but it's brilliant song.
    Escapology - his last album with Chambers - is really good. It was about this time he got most of his personal issues sorted out and met his (now) wife too - he's probably a lot happier, and while that's obviously a good thing for him, it seems all too common that it affects the quality of an artist's output! "Happy people make shitty art" as someone (I can't remember who) once said...

I really like quite a few Sugababes songs but I've never got round to buying them
    The problem with the Sugababes is that with all the line-up changes, the music ends up sounding a bit too generic - although I admit there are some great pop songs among them. (I've got most of the albums :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have a secret love of 90s dance music. Get some of this up yeh:

Also I think coal chambers first album was awesome:

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    I feel guilty about likely a few Biffy Clyro songs. They're a great singles band, but I defo feel that if I went to a gig people would think I was a werido.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    The last single I bought, about 5 years ago - No Air by Jordin Sparks with Chris Brown. Love that song.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    I hate this idea of "guilty pleasures". If you like music and it moves you then it's good.

For me, people always talk about it as a guilty pleasure, but I LOVE Bryan Adams' "Reckless" album. OK, so the production's a little dated with the huge 80s snare sound and chorus all over the guitar sounds, but the songs are superb; really well put together and not a duff track on the album.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
    tFB Trader
    I hate this idea of "guilty pleasures". If you like music and it moves you then it's good.
    Agree with this. 

I like what I like, cheesy pop music and all. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited March 2014
    I've been listening to "Waiting for a Star to Fall" a lot recently.

Wetter than northern Scotland, but it's such an absolute banger that I am completely not ashamed. I LOVE it.

And Wham. Seriously, not ashamed. Fight me.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited March 2014

Now I can't be facepalmed I guess I should also add that I bloody love Coldplay. I've seen them live loads of times and they're always brilliant. Jonny Buckland is a cracking guitar player with loads of really nice Teles too.
    I liked Coldplay, before I saw them live and realised they are great.
    mike_l said:
    I'm feeling brave enough to mention Dido too.
    You know those moments when everyone's making admissions and it seems open and accepting and you finally unburden yourself and there's this sudden awkward silence? That.

Okay, I do have a couple of Dido albums somewhere. And I have them because of the Eminem track. I like Eminem. There, I said it. <Awkward silence returns>
    Edit: I guess Kate Bush is cool again and no longer counts as a guilty pleasure.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    imalone said: I like Eminem. There, I said it. <Awkward silence returns>
    I fucking love Eminem.

I was a huge fan when I was around 10-11, mainly because he swore a lot and my parents hated him. Now I can really appreciate it, and he's an absolutely brilliant lyricist, whose words are never, ever boring or clichéd. And his rhyming technique is something else...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    I love Christian Rock from the seventies, Larry Norman, the Cliff track I just posted in the unusual intros discussion, Bob Dylan's Slow Train coming album. Listen to the first minute of this - you can practically hear the flares flapping, and I bet Phil Keaggy (amazing guitarist incidentally, credited in this month's Guitar Techniques magazine with discovering King's X) had a rainbow strap on his guitar :-)

imalone said:
    Okay, I do have a couple of Dido albums somewhere. And I have them because of the Eminem track. I like Eminem. There, I said it. <Awkward silence returns>
    So have I, and for the same reason - although I'm not that big a fan of Eminem's whole output, his best material by far is the familiar singles. (I find the same with many other slightly-off-mainstream artists.)

Anyway, Dido's brother was in Faithless, so that makes her OK :).

imalone said:
    Edit: I guess Kate Bush is cool again and no longer counts as a guilty pleasure.
    Kate Bush was never, ever a guilty pleasure. Anyone who feels guilty about liking Kate Bush on any level or in any way needs to go and see a doctor immediately ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444
    Been listening to this a lot lately.Great song.

Don't know whether this should be classed as a guilty pleasure but I know it's a bit uncool to listen to anything by Phil Collins,

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    edited March 2014

Don't know whether this should be classed as a guilty pleasure but I know it's a bit uncool to listen to anything by Phil Collins

That's not one of my favourites, but I do like a lot of his stuff. Not so much at the end, but he did plenty that's not horrible even solo, and certainly with Genesis.

A drummer I used to know - a guy built like the proverbial brick outhouse, only in his case one that would withstand nuclear attack - wore a Phil Collins T-shirt to gigs, I think mostly to see if anyone would dare to argue with him about it :). (And because he genuinely thought Collins was a great drummer, which I agree with.)

• Bucket said:
    imalone said: I like Eminem. There, I said it. <Awkward silence returns>
    I fucking love Eminem.

I was a huge fan when I was around 10-11, mainly because he swore a lot and my parents hated him. Now I can really appreciate it, and he's an absolutely brilliant lyricist, whose words are never, ever boring or clichéd. And his rhyming technique is something else...
    I lost real interest after the Marshall Mathers LP, but every album has at least one brilliantly witty, awesome track.

Highlights include 'Still Don't Give a Fuck', 'The Way I am', 'Kim' and 'Stan'.  
    Although the entirety of the Slim Shady LP is genius.  
  • HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 129
    edited July 2014
    Just ordered this, I love 70's pop.

Oh year and it's on the Frilly Pink label, wanna make something of it :)

They don't want your name, they just want your number.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2957
    Alanis Morrissette. There, I said it.