"Guilty" Pleasures

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    edited July 2014
    "Underneath" By Hanson.

They'd all growed up by this point - "Penny and Me" is an absolutely perfect summer song. The whole album is, quite frankly, poptastic. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    I'm sure there's loads more too, but that one springs to mind straight away. 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I love The Pet Shop Boys, (I think their version of Always on My Mind is one of the best cover tunes ever), Erasure, Abba, 80s New Romantics genre, and whilst some here may baulk and feel nauseous, even Joe Bonamassa ;-)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24877
    I'm busy building a 'Guilty Pleasures' play-list on my iPod for long car journeys. By down-loading them it seems less remiss that having a CD on a shelf advertising my musical taste....

I shall be rereading this thread to check if there's anything I've missed....
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    ...oh, and The Feeling. Cheesy as a Dominoes kitchen floor, but I like 'em. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    Right Said Fred's first album - "Up". Superb, I'll never sell it*

*(because who the hell would buy it?)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27842
    IanSavage said:
    ...oh, and The Feeling. Cheesy as a Dominoes kitchen floor, but I like 'em. 
    Definitely. Great pop music there and decent musicians. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24877
    bluechargeboy;305869" said:

Only someone who was Deeply Dippy....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73116

I did :). Although you may have guessed that given how much other random rubbish I like!

Actually I later gave it to a charity shop… my enthusiasm for it wore off after a while. It wasn't bad, but a bit of a one-trick pony.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10778
    All of Duran Duran, all of Nik Kershaw, and all of Rachmaninov, no matter how sloshy. How's that.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73116
    viz said:
    All of Duran Duran, all of Nik Kershaw, and all of Rachmaninov, no matter how sloshy. How's that.
    lol… Rachmaninov. Have you no shame?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10778
    Ha, though he is truly and imo unjustly the looked-down-on composer in many classical circles; no idea why because some of his compositions are just incredible and absolutely not drawn-out overly-melodramatic bits of slush (ops 33 and 39 for example if anyone's interested in giving it a go).
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    edited July 2014
    Man cannot live by metal alone thus I've got loads of "guilty pleasures" ....but the ultimate is probably Dollar's Mirror Mirror, which to me represents perfect pop music.

I get to hear lots of shit through DJing but occassionally you get a few diamonds.... and they reside on my "guilty pleasures" playlist on my phone (along with Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Livin' Joy and Donna Lewis.)

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10426
    edited July 2014
    @RobDavies Dedication To My Ex by Lloyd is a brilliant song.Nothing to feel guilty about in my eyes.And I'm a metalhead too :D
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I've got Duran Duran's greatest hits somewhere. Plus I love early 90s dance...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23742

I don't know about "guilty" pleasures as such, but as a kid in the late Seventies and early Eighties I religiously listened to the Top 40 every week and all that stuff is permanently burned into my brain, whether I actually liked it or not.

I couldn't name anything in this week's Top 40.  In fact I could hardly name any chart hits of the last 10 or 15 years.

Anyway, to be specific and get to the point.... Boogie Nights by Heatwave is the greatest single ever released, ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    Roxette - Look Sharp!

It's not even guilty, I love it.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 699
    Scissor Sisters. MEN Arena in 2007 remains one of the best shows I've ever seen.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited August 2014
    I wouldn't admit to being a huge Prog metal, Metalcore and Post-hardcore fan on a first date (They get the wrong idea if I tell them I like screamo) However my other pleasures such as dire straits, aren't exactly endearing either ;) 
    Needless to say, I have appalling music taste...
    Oddly it's a taste I share with my girlfriend xD We introduce each other to all sorts of new stuff, so it's all cool.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bump for the best thing on the radio by miles. 100 millions youtube hits in 4 weeks, and that's not counting all the duplicates.

And this, which is probably a one-hit-wonder but also a really catchy song

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires