"Guilty" Pleasures

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Just discovered this. Lush jazz-funk soul from 1996, with a fantastic bassline

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    viz said:
    Ha, though he is truly and imo unjustly the looked-down-on composer in many classical circles; no idea why because some of his compositions are just incredible and absolutely not drawn-out overly-melodramatic bits of slush (ops 33 and 39 for example if anyone's interested in giving it a go).
    @viz - The Rachmaninov recommendations are greatly appreciated - I never know where to start with classical composers. Just listened to Op.33 and it was brilliant.  I'll give Op.39 a listen tomorrow. Until then, I think a bit of Backstreet Boys before I hit the hay! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know why, but I like this song.

• vizviz Frets: 10778
    beed84 said:
    viz said:
    Ha, though he is truly and imo unjustly the looked-down-on composer in many classical circles; no idea why because some of his compositions are just incredible and absolutely not drawn-out overly-melodramatic bits of slush (ops 33 and 39 for example if anyone's interested in giving it a go).
    @viz - The Rachmaninov recommendations are greatly appreciated - I never know where to start with classical composers. Just listened to Op.33 and it was brilliant.  I'll give Op.39 a listen tomorrow. Until then, I think a bit of Backstreet Boys before I hit the hay! 

Brilliant, well you've definitely not started at the easy end with the etudes! They're among his most unconventional, unpredictable and uneasy compositions and the 2nd set is even darker :)

If you fancy something a little easier to fall in love with, most would recommend his Piano Concerto number 2 or 3, or his 2nd symphony. Here's a clip of the finale of the 3rd piano concerto - the culmination of the whole thing climaxes from 7:51 but you can find the complete performance on youtube - enjoy, she gives it 100% :)

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Late 80s hip hop. Loves me a bit of Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy and Beasties.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793

A real guilty pleasure is busted - they were big when I was a teenager and they had guitars and looked like they were having a whole load of fun! As pop music goes I still think its entertainingly good :-)

I like a little bit of Bryan Adams too due to having one album (I think its called On a Day Like Today?) in the car whilst driving round France once summer.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Early 90s dance and reggae; Urban Cookie Collective, Shamen, Chaka Demus & Pliers etc...