Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do people hate dreadlocks on white guys so much?

What's Hot
I don't think it's a good look, but it seems to provoke a stronger reaction than that in some people

is it because it's perceived as stealing a defining feature from another ethnic group?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It never bothered me, it seems that it doesn't bother you, but you've observed that it bothers some other people? tbh I haven't, and worked once for a guy who had mahoosive dreads, and he held a position of respect in an otherwise white collar and tie organisation
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    Chappers gets stick for it on here for a start
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited February 2015
    I had dreads for years, now I'm bald so obviously look quite different.

In my time in sales one lady (I use that term "lady" very loosely) went to be served by my colleague as I "looked like one of those fucking nig nogs".

Since taking them off and showing new found colleagues pictures of when I had them I have twice in the last year had the exact same response of "there's nothing worse than a white man with dreadlocks".

Both of these examples make me wonder if I really was the strange one as they had all insinuated. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    In the case of my singer, it's because of his personality.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10347
    edited February 2015
    Each to there own I say.

If you're literally getting 'offended' by someone's haircut you maybe need to chill a little.

Edit-not aimed at you @ToneControl just easily offended people in general.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm curious as to whether people hate dreadlocks full stop but feel in saying "I hate black men with dreadlocks" that focus may be drawn to the wrong part of the statement.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    I'm curious as to whether people hate dreadlocks full stop but feel in saying "I hate black men with dreadlocks" that focus may be drawn to the wrong part of the statement.
    maybe

I suspect not though, I'm suspecting it feels fake to people and sends out some signals in particular to some people
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Chappers gets stick for it on here for a start
    He gets stick for a lot of things.  Haters gonna etc .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    People generally don't like 'crusties' fashions do they, which is who generally have them. Me personally I'm not bothered by anyone's look or hair cut.

Dreadlocks have been around for a long time, not just on black guys, there's evidence of them in Roman and Egyptian art that I'm aware of.

I don't think any ethnicity has or should have the right to any hair cut.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15643
    I'd quite like dreads. Is there a name for where you are balding but also have dreads? Like a skullet is a mullet for balding types.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Doesn't bother me if white guys want dreads. What's the big deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4331
    VimFuego;505597" said:
    I'd quite like dreads. Is there a name for where you are balding but also have dreads? Like a skullet is a mullet for balding types.
    It's called a mid life crisis :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15643
    coolio, always wanted one of them but never wanted a sports car and mrs f won't let me buy a motorbike.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah a lot of people will argue that its culture theft. I can understand both points but other than that I think they look pretty terrible.
    Old Is Gold
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    What if you just can't be arsed to wash your hair?

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    I wish I could grow dreads.

Deijavoo said:
    I had dreads for years, now I'm bald so obviously look quite different.

In my time in sales one lady (I use that term "lady" very loosely) went to be served by my colleague as I "looked like one of those fucking nig nogs".

That lady "sounds like one of those fucking ignorant c*nts".  
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Not for me.

My hair starts level with my ears so it'd look really shite.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I wanted them when I was younger but generally speaking my hair didn't do what I wanted it to do.
    The number of white guys with dreads is pretty tiny though, I'm suprised anyone has much of an opinion about it. I sometimes work with a black guy who had dreads and I thought he was super cool but he got rid of them seemingly as part of his bid to gain promotion. He is now much higher up than I am, has short hair and a suit and is no longer cool IMHO.
    As we are on a guitar forum - Rusty Zinn, great guitarist who is a ginger rasta and not just the dreads but a conversion to the faith. Might have a look on YouTube later as well. http://www.reggae-vibes.com/concert/rusty/pics/rusty6.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_l said:

Not for me.

My hair starts level with my ears so it'd look really shit

@mike_l earlier today

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm intrigued as to how dreads grow like that. Presumably there are specific kinds of medicinal preparations required which changes the hair follicles in some fashion. Red Stripe and ganja have to be the most likely candidates.