Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do people hate dreadlocks on white guys so much?

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

Not for me.

My hair starts level with my ears so it'd look really shit

@mike_l earlier today

That's so close you wouldn't believe it. His head is a bit shinier than mine though (but not by much)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    ToneControl;505534" said:
    Chappers gets stick for it on here for a start
    I think he gets stick for being a twat.
    If he was bald he'd probably get called a "bald twat", but the baldness is not really the issue, it's the twattishness.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    randomhandclaps;505554" said:
    I'm curious as to whether people hate dreadlocks full stop but feel in saying "I hate black men with dreadlocks" that focus may be drawn to the wrong part of the statement.
    I hate them full stop, but black guys do it because of rastafarianism or their own culture in general. White guys do it just to be "different"/to seek attention. The reason I don't like them though is because they look dirty, like winnets on sheep. And I used to live near/work in Glastonbury, where people who had them were actually dirty, and hippy twats to boot.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    holnrew said:
    randomhandclaps;505554" said:
    I'm curious as to whether people hate dreadlocks full stop but feel in saying "I hate black men with dreadlocks" that focus may be drawn to the wrong part of the statement.
    I hate them full stop, but black guys do it because of rastafarianism or their own culture in general. White guys do it just to be "different"/to seek attention. The reason I don't like them though is because they look dirty, like winnets on sheep. And I used to live near/work in Glastonbury, where people who had them were actually dirty, and hippy twats to boot.
    I don't get the whole "I'm doing it to be different" thing, Goths/Skaters/Hippies etc say they want to be 'different' but they all look the same as each other....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Goths,Skaters,Hippies and any other cultural group are not out to seek attention. They are just conforming to another type of uniform. An individual is just that, a lone single person, once there are two individuals you have a sub culture, add another, and you have a minority group.

The vast majority of sub-cultures conform - to their own group.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774

Goths,Skaters,Hippies and any other cultural group are not out to seek attention. They are just conforming to another type of uniform. An individual is just that, a lone single person, once there are two individuals you have a sub culture, add another, and you have a minority group.

The vast majority of sub-cultures conform - to their own group.

What I was trying to say explained much more eloquently than me!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

White and dreadlocked here *hand up*

Some of the stick is down to people not really being aware how dreadlocks are achieved; if you get 'em by simply not washing your hair a/ you're doing it wrong, b/ you end up with horrible-looking, uneven Swapmy-esque dreads, c/ your scalp will be a fucking horror story, d/ you're doing it wrong.

Whilst putting them in and getting them to 'take' I actually paid more attention to and spent more time on my hair than I ever have, the payoff now being that I only HAVE to wash it about once a week if that. Obviously if I've been sweating heavily, rolling around under the car, sleeping rough ( ;) ) or anything else that'll leave crap behind in it I'll wash it, and if you're not going to end up with irritating scalp and/or dandruff you have to wash 'em with 'proper' dreadlock shampoo (i.e. a shampoo that won't leave a residue behind to fester inside the dreadlock) fairly regularly.

The Rastafarian thing I've come across quite a lot, don't fully 'get' it since (as has been mentioned) it's something that crops up in plenty of civilisations throughout history...each to their own, frankly I couldn't give two hoots if someone likes mine or not, I do :)   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My g/f had dreads when she was younger. 

I don't think it looked bad, maybe it would actually be preferable to what she has now which is just lots and lots and lots of thick hair.  It tends to do this:

Rest of it is here, quite funny/accurate http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cuddling
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited February 2015
    Not for me but each to their own I guess.

Aslong as they aren't poking me with them!

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Chappers gets shit for it, even from me and I like him!

Newton Faulkner doesn't get shit for it, and his are ginger.

I don't really understand the rules.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    edited February 2015
  • I have a Dreadnought - hardly any hair though....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm also in the "too little hair to even consider it" camp.

Plus I'm not too far away from 40, a bit fat(!) and an insurance broker so it'd be tragic on all counts :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    This was part of my logic for putting them in when I hit 30, always wanted 'em and figured if I left it much later it might be a bit tragic...
  • hobbio;505837" said:
    I'm also in the "too little hair to even consider it" camp.

Plus I'm not too far away from 40, a bit fat(!) and an insurance broker so it'd be tragic on all counts :)
    I've lost a lot of weight recently and am ten years away from 40.

Unfortunately I'm also ten years away from 60....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I had long hair in corn rows in my late teens, closest I've been to dreads.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15643
    I've never had the right sort of hair to do anything more interesting than a short back and sides. I feel oppressed by all you guys with good hair/formerly good hair and I think you should cease straight away.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I had em for a year, I think of you look after them properly you look good but with white hair without the right care they can look pretty awful, ... Its all about keeping on top of em, but white guys can def carry em off.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    maybe everyone used to have dreads until the discovery of comb technology
    play every note as if it were your first