Friday humour

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6195
    Apologies that I can't work out how to embed an imgur video/gif/thingy, but...

if you're a sucker for the pure and unbridled enthusiasm of a dog, this is well worth a click:

https://imgur.com/gallery/iXD3lxC

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • These limericks are bringing back painful memories of a particularly unsuccessful English lesson I taught a couple of years back. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1607
    Poboy said:
    Shrews said:
    Bluddy stoopid micks.
    Hard to tell whether that's a p1ss poor attempt at irony, or something of a different nature altogether.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2322
    Is it???? Seems fairly obviously aimed at irony I do believe.

Unless I'm even thicker....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1607
    edited October 2023
    Try swopping out Paddy and micks for Mohammed and pakis, Sambo and blacks / Moshie and yids there - see how it reads maybe.

Thought those days were past. It's fkn racist, and deserves to be called out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Why not "Edward" instead. There - fixed it for you. ;)
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • Sorry AK99, I was being flippant. 

Serious question, much of comedy/ humour is dependent on misunderstanding or on difference of perception, so how in the 21st century should that be conveyed without giving offence? Clearly it is now unacceptable to imply that those of one ethnicity/ race/ nationality or religion, gender or of certain physical characteristics are inherently less intelligent or more prone to misunderstanding or errors of perception than another so where do we go?

An Englishman, an Englishman and another Englishman walk into a bar...?

I'm genuinely interested. Maybe it needs to be in another thread...?
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Sorry AK99, I was being flippant. 

Serious question, much of comedy/ humour is dependent on misunderstanding or on difference of perception, so how in the 21st century should that be conveyed without giving offence? Clearly it is now unacceptable to imply that those of one ethnicity/ race/ nationality or religion, gender or of certain physical characteristics are inherently less intelligent or more prone to misunderstanding or errors of perception than another so where do we go?

One safe way is to make the joke on you. Eg: I told my wife "my bum hole is really burning, I've no idea what it is". Etc etc.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17670
    tFB Trader
    mart said:

One safe way is to make the joke on you. Eg: I told my wife "my bum hole is really burning, I've no idea what it is". Etc etc.

In the case of this joke adding "paddy" to it doesn't really add anything to the humour other than making it slightly racist.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23114

I think maybe it does.
    edited October 2023
    Is it not up to the paddy to determine if it's racist?
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1314
    DesVegas said:
    Without wanting to pull at some very loose threads that hang from that quite absurd post.... No it is not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to like this thread, but following a string of unfunny and frankly misogynistic limericks, followed by a Paddy joke, I think I'll give it a miss for a while. There are obviously a few on here whose attitudes need some updating. Probably a reflection of the age profile of members, I suppose. 

I'm 57 by the way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12430
    I used to like this thread, but following a string of unfunny and frankly misogynistic limericks, followed by a Paddy joke, I think I'll give it a miss for a while. There are obviously a few on here whose attitudes need some updating. Probably a reflection of the age profile of members, I suppose. 

I'm 57 by the way.
    Nope, age doesn’t have to correlate with being racist, it’s a mindset. I’m (hopefully) not racist, and I’m 68. I met a couple of 30 something family members earlier today, you couldn’t  meet a bigger pair of bigots. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7112
    sinbaadi said:
    DesVegas said:
    Without wanting to pull at some very loose threads that hang from that quite absurd post.... No it is not.
    Being one of those sort who are in a position to be justifiably offended by that joke, I have to admit two things:

1.  I didn’t notice the Paddy reference until it was pointed out.
    2.  This may be because I quickly identified the joke as being unfunny and skimmed past it.

I’ve  heard (and told) a vast quantity of Irishmen jokes, and I don’t mind them.  As long as they’re actually funny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23114
    I used to like this thread, but following a string of unfunny and frankly misogynistic limericks, followed by a Paddy joke, I think I'll give it a miss for a while. There are obviously a few on here whose attitudes need some updating. Probably a reflection of the age profile of members, I suppose. 

I'm 57 by the way.
    59 here, and I agree with you.  I've temporarily stopped following the thread until it (hopefully) gets back to normal.
  • I used to like this thread, but following a string of unfunny and frankly misogynistic limericks, followed by a Paddy joke, I think I'll give it a miss for a while. There are obviously a few on here whose attitudes need some updating. Probably a reflection of the age profile of members, I suppose. 

I'm 57 by the way.
    When I joined this forum I got the impression that the bulk of members are old(er), white men, and I expected to see a fair amount of casual - even if only unconscious - racism, sexism etc. But for the most part there's very little bigotry here, and when it does occur members are quick to call it out.

Maybe that says something about my own prejudices. Unfortunately my perception has been skewed a bit by the sort of men I encounter through work.
    I posted a ukulele/ Black Sabbath joke . Was that ok?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1880
    Is the "tree fellers" joke OK?
    Asking for a friend...