Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22601
    grungebob said:
    I can't find the link but it suggested to the prolonged assault everybody is referencing was actually verbal and there was a push involved that caught the lip of the producer.

The producer never did anything about it except go much later to a&e probably to cover his arse so something was on record. Clarkson reported the incident to bbc.

This set of facts alters the story IF true but I guess time will tell.
    If a story 'suggests' something occurred, then how is that a 'fact'? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I'm sure the people who will lose their jobs or have to move jobs agree with you. Not managing a talent that important to your cash flow is dumb as. If you get an incident like that then protecting the franchise is very important due to the sea of people whose livelihood depends on it. Seriously, I'd happily let a wuss like that have 30 seconds for 50,000. You could get quite a lot more than that, plus management would thank you for it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    'Managing a talent?'

Why the fucking hell can't he manage himself?

20 minutes of verbals and then he takes a pop at someone and all because he didn't get a hot dinner?

Wanker doesn't need managing. He needs to see a psychiatrist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    Really your pulling me up on semantics ?
    The news "story" claimed a different set of events and presented them as "facts". So this new set or corrected set of "facts" changes the whole news "story".

On another note, since the days work was done and they where in a hotel does it technically make it a work incident?
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 277
    According to BT Yahoo "news", Clarkson has called critics and detractors of Top Gear "hopeless worms".

Fine, I'm happy being a hopeless worm. The show has become stale and needs to pass on. Week on week of a supercar "review", with camera work that means you can't see the car properly half the time, a cheap car challenge/race/bodge job that is never as entertaining as "Jezza and The Guys" really think, a celebrity driving a car round the track/promoting their latest movie/music offering (MY guest tonight, not OUR guest), ending with a naff, piss take piece with an apparent "bombshell" conclusion.

I miss old Top Gear, where there were actual reviews of cars, super or otherwise.

As for the assault, Clarkson and "The Guys" were three hours late for their food due to being in the pub, hardly the producer's fault. He assaulted the guy, he has been dealt with correctly.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    you're
    grungebob said:

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    According to BT Yahoo "news", Clarkson has called critics and detractors of Top Gear "hopeless worms".

Quoted like that, as many places are doing, that indeed sounds horrible.  If you actually read that quote in context with the rest of the piece he wrote, I agree entirely with him - it was meant in terms of "If you don't like it, how about doing something positive and  trying to make the show you want rather than whining on the internet about something which wasn't aimed at you in the first place?"

I'm saddened by Clarkson being fired, as I find him rather amusing, but I do have a hard time excusing him for punching a fellow worker.  I do, however, have an even harder time believing that the producer just stood there silently during all that time and said absolutely nothing to provoke him.  Clarkson is an arse, but he's not that much of an arse.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    Drew_fx;573995" said:
    you're

grungebob said:

That's a grammatical error ;)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    grungebob said:
    Drew_fx;573995" said:
    you're

grungebob said:

That's a grammatical error ;)
    Never said otherwise.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Drew_fx said:
    you're
    grungebob said:

Boom! 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    The studio is being dismantled today .. end of an era. If it returns Top Gear will have a new home.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Samgb;574057" said:
    Drew_fx said:

you're

grungebob said:

Boom! 
    ?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11444
    Samgb said:
    Drew_fx said:
    you're
    grungebob said:

Boom! 
    O!

We'll have no anti-semanticism here, thank you very much.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You get a lol for that
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    grungebob;574174" said:
    You get a lol for that
    Really? I thought it was half a LOL at best. We should have a wry half smile button
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Fuzzdog said:

Quoted like that, as many places are doing, that indeed sounds horrible.  If you actually read that quote in context with the rest of the piece he wrote, I agree entirely with him - it was meant in terms of "If you don't like it, how about doing something positive and  trying to make the show you want rather than whining on the internet about something which wasn't aimed at you in the first place?"

I'm saddened by Clarkson being fired, as I find him rather amusing, but I do have a hard time excusing him for punching a fellow worker.  I do, however, have an even harder time believing that the producer just stood there silently during all that time and said absolutely nothing to provoke him.  Clarkson is an arse, but he's not that much of an arse.
    Thing is, it was aimed at me, and I did enjoy it. But there were things about it I didn't like, his ego for one thing. You can like something AND criticise it.
    My V key is broken
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248

I'm kind of in agreement with MAGS on this - plenty of celebs/sports people seem make a habit of acting like arseholes and swiping at each on the pitch, at paparazzi etc. enough times without assault charges getting pulled up every 5 minutes. Doesn't make it right but the Clarkson fracas doesn't seem much different to other incidents in the last year, never mind what goes on behind closed doors/locker rooms  that we never hear about

In the big scheme of things the BBC has lost a truck load of money and a load of people have lost their jobs - Ok they could have paid the producer compo and hushed the whole thing up and we can all say how unfair it all that he has kept his job and one rule for him and another for everyone else but I think I missed the lesson about the world being fair  - I really struggle to see how they could have fucked the whole situation up any more than they have.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22601
    edited March 2015
    Evilmags said:
    I'm sure the people who will lose their jobs or have to move jobs agree with you. Not managing a talent that important to your cash flow is dumb as. If you get an incident like that then protecting the franchise is very important due to the sea of people whose livelihood depends on it. Seriously, I'd happily let a wuss like that have 30 seconds for 50,000. You could get quite a lot more than that, plus management would thank you for it.
    10/10 for effort. 

oddball said:

I'm kind of in agreement with MAGS on this - plenty of celebs/sports people seem make a habit of acting like arseholes and swiping at each on the pitch, at paparazzi etc. enough times without assault charges getting pulled up every 5 minutes. Doesn't make it right but the Clarkson fracas doesn't seem much different to other incidents in the last year, never mind what goes on behind closed doors/locker rooms  that we never hear about

In the big scheme of things the BBC has lost a truck load of money and a load of people have lost their jobs - Ok they could have paid the producer compo and hushed the whole thing up and we can all say how unfair it all that he has kept his job and one rule for him and another for everyone else but I think I missed the lesson about the world being fair  - I really struggle to see how they could have fucked the whole situation up any more than they have.

The BBC is an organisation that has been smashed about in recent years with accusations about cover ups for various things. The push has been for greater transparency within the BBC over how it conducts itself. Yet you believe that hush money and a cover up would have been the best thing. Very very odd. There's no way in the world the Beeb could have kept it under wraps. None at all. Had they kept silent and the story came out via the broadsheets, then the BBC detractors would have had a field day. Paul Dacre at the Mail would have had a 12-minute orgasm at a story like that dropping into his lap.  

The BBC have actually done pretty decently given the situation. 

Philly_Q said:

As a BBC enthusiast (a very unpopular standpoint, I realise...) I feel very sorry that they've effectively been forced to axe a money spinning show.  Yes, there probably are "Guardian reading liberal lefties" at the BBC who want rid of Clarkson anyway, but that's pretty much irrelevant.  This whole mess will probably strengthen the case of those who hate the BBC and want to see the licence fee ended, which fills me with dismay.

As a Guardian-hating BBC enthusiast, I completely agree with you. 

• oddballoddball Frets: 248

I'm not espousing anything , I just think that a load of people losing their jobs over a couple of pissed blokes getting a bit 'up for it' is a crap decision.

Like I said, the world isn't fair and losing your job over two people banging heads doesn't seem right - give him a shrink, shove him in rehab, dock his pay whatever but to can the whole show and write off all that revenue I can't get my head around personally.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Perhaps someone can do a list. Crime severity v loss of revenue so we can decide at what point a criminal offence can and can't be hushed up.

Sort of: 1 ABH assault is forgiven if £100m could be lost, but 3 ABH assaults, or 1 GBH won't be.

But 3 GBH is allowed to be hushed if it would cause a loss of say £500m.

Marks wil be given for showing your workings.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd