Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot
1282930313234»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited April 2015

Citizen Khan - a show written by three men, two of whom are definitely Asian and one who isn't, that parodies elements of the Asian world. They take the piss out of a culture they've always been part of.  

Don't agree. This thread appears to take the line that only white men can be racist and that if one group of Asian men take the piss out of another group of Asian men then that can't be racism. I recall a thread on the old Intermusic forums involving so called 'banter' between between English forumites and Scots forumites that was closed down for being racist. I guess to an Asian it just a case of two groups of white European men taking the piss out of each other.

Clarkson's slope gag got one initial complaint from a woman who decided to seek legal redress after which a baying mob whipped into a frenzy by social media piled in. Khan's had complaints in the UK and from overseas which you simply dismiss by bringing up sexism etc.

And there are ginger jokes .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22576
    edited April 2015

Fretwired said:

Don't agree. This thread appears to take the line that only white men can be racist and that if one group of Asian men take the piss out of another group of Asian men then that can't be racism. I recall a thread on the old Intermusic forums involving so called 'banter' between between English forumites and Scots forumites that was closed down for being racist. I guess to an Asian it just a case of two groups of white European men taking the piss out of each other.

Clarkson's slope gag got one initial complaint from a woman who decided to seek legal redress after which a baying mob whipped into a frenzy by social media piled in. Khan's had complaints in the UK and from overseas which you simply dismiss by bringing up sexism etc. 

Where's this mass of people in this thread saying that only white people can be racist? 

The Khan complaints: You say that the Clarkson slope comment had a 'baying mob whipped into a frenzy by social media'. The BBC said exactly the same about the Citizen Khan complaints, that there had been a concerted lobbying effort. The difference is that Clarkson did break clear broadcasting rules set down, Citizen Khan didn't. 

So I will repeat my question to you: Citizen Khan is a parody. Father Ted was likewise. Do you consider Father Ted to be racist? 

And I'll leave the final response to Saira Khan in the Daily Mail who hits the nail right smack on the fucking head

Fretwired said:
    And there are ginger jokes .. ;-)

Mick bloody Hucknall. King of the gingers, a jungle VIP. 

This is actually gone in a much more interesting way. @Fretwired, you've totally destroyed my afternoon with research and reading :D

And I'll leave the final response to Saira Khan in the Daily Mail who hits the nail right smack on the fucking head

Saira Khan ... no different to people like David Cameron supporting Clarkson. The main writer and star is a mate of hers. The Muslim community has an issue with her as she was brought up as a Muslim but rejected it and is critical (she has every right to do this) so her views may be perceived as biased.

Frankly I think the show is a pile of crap. If it were funny I might have some sympathy. But upsetting people and being unfunny is frankly unforgivable.

This is actually gone in a much more interesting way. @Fretwired, you've totally destroyed my afternoon with research and reading :D
    Have you got onto the Muslim TV debates yet .... they're on YouTube ...  ;-)

edited April 2015
    Fretwired said:

Saira Khan ... no different to people like David Cameron supporting Clarkson. The main writer and star is a mate of hers. The Muslim community has an issue with her as she was brought up as a Muslim but rejected it and is critical (she has every right to do this) so her views may be perceived as biased.

Frankly I think the show is a pile of crap. If it were funny I might have some sympathy. But upsetting people and being unfunny is frankly unforgivable.

And there's tons of other people who support it. From all walks of life and all backgrounds. I picked one. 

Now why do you keep avoiding my question about Father Ted? C'mon, tell me Father Jack is racist! 

Fretwired said:
    Have you got onto the Muslim TV debates yet .... they're on YouTube ...  ;-)

If I did, I'd lose a whole week of my life like that :D

The India-Pakistan cricket comments on Youtube are like reading A Clockwork Orange. This weird form of abusive nadsat where it seems telling someone that their mother fucks pigs is almost polite :D

Now why do you keep avoiding my question about Father Ted? C'mon, tell me Father Jack is racist! 
    Father Ted is racist and I have proof ... :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great scene. Parody at its best. 

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I agree .. I found it got a bit so, so ...

edited April 2015
    Fretwired said:
    I agree .. I found it got a bit so, so ...
    The third season was just a bit too long, bit saggy in the middle. But the first three episodes are superb. 

Swearing is good :)

• The people who generally take the biggest offence at racism is often White do gooders on behalf of others, just to hear their own voice at times.
    Like the furore around Anne Robinson when she said she hates the Welsh. I laughed like hell as she is a real character, but it was discussed by welsh assembly! 
    Racism does not have to about white on black or black on white, but it is often black on black, or brown on yellow, or English on Polish or vice versa. Whatever the colour the result is often the same, someone putting someone else down due to being different, it's just been highlighted and so misinterpreted over the years, that the label has been bandied about for all sorts of stupid comments, rather than the real racism that still goes on in our societies. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Whatever the colour the result is often the same, someone putting someone else down due to being different, it's just been highlighted and so misinterpreted over the years, that the label has been bandied about for all sorts of stupid comments, rather than the real racism that still goes on in our societies. 
    Yes. And that is all I shall say :)

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Have we reached a conclusion yet ?

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24866
    Bogwhoppit;583949" said:
    Have we reached a conclusion yet ?
    Yeah - they're not renewing his contract....
  • So, no one has been sacked as such, Clarkson is still getting paid, public won't get to see last episodes of Top Gear, and victim has probably been given a new job to keep him quiet.
    Alls well that ends well ! 
    :-\"
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Wonder what odds you can get on the producer jumping ship to Netflix once the new show is on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24866
    Evilmags;584311" said:
    Wonder what odds you can get on the producer jumping ship to Netflix once the new show is on.
    Clearly Wilman is required to finish the last three episodes which (presumably) the Beeb have already sold - a contractual requirement I would imagine.

His 'resignation' e-mail is hard to interpret as anything other than a 'goodbye' - whatever he may be saying now it has been leaked.

I gather that all three presenters have been removed from the mast-head of TG's website, as they are 'out of contract' with the BBC...