Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Fretwired said:
    Gets worse for Clarkson .. a conviction will mean he can't work in the US so the Netflix deal will be off.

He could always go to Oz. I think we used to do that at one time.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    It's almost like assaulting people isn't that good an idea. Mind = blown.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Cirrus said:
    It's almost like assaulting people isn't that good an idea. Mind = blown.
    Lost his job and faces prosecution for assault ... I think he's being punished.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    That's a great tweet, but not the real Glasgow council Twitter, none the less very true.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    What should have happened is a big cheque to the producer and everything hushed up. Management have blown 300 mn of income and 67mn of profit. That means smaller budgets and less staff. They have also left themselves big liabilities due to the Saville comparison.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Fretwired said:
    Gets worse for Clarkson .. a conviction will mean he can't work in the US so the Netflix deal will be off.

He could always go to Oz. I think we used to do that at one time.

The criminal record isn't a necessity these days.......

yes, I got the same old joke in twice in 2 days......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Evilmags said:
    What should have happened is a big cheque to the producer and everything hushed up. Management have blown 300 mn of income and 67mn of profit. That means smaller budgets and less staff. They have also left themselves big liabilities due to the Saville comparison.
    Yay for corruption!

You silly man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Samgb;573098" said:
    Evilmags said:

Yay for corruption!

You silly man.
    Fifa are doing ok .... ahem
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    edited March 2015
    Samgb said:
    Evilmags said:
    Yay for corruption!

You silly man.

i don't think that's silly. Put aside any inherent dislike you may have of Clarkson for a second, since it's not relevant in judging this incident on its own merits. He was obnoxious, gave the bloke a fat lip and insulted him. Highly unpleasant but not the most grevious assault ever. The producer chose to go to A&E. Maybe the damage merited it. Sounded to me like a fat lip. 

The net result of firing Clarkson is that a show enjoyed by 350 million people worldwide and making a fortune for the State-funded BBC is over. It is based around Clarkson and will die without him (as a BBC programme at any rate) and no one should kid themselves otherwise. 

You may not like Top Gear and may not like him. That's irrelevant. A global audience five times the entire population of Britain does.

What harm would have been done for Clarkson to give the producer a grovelling apology and a large cheque in compensation so that all those people could carry on enjoying what he does for a living? Would you fear he might "do it again"? Or is it a purely moral stand you are taking? Zero tolerance to such "corruption" and all that. In which case i trust zero tolerance would apply similarly to you, all your friends and family and every celebrity you like if they ever did anything similar. 

Ultimately, would the "harm" done by keeping this quiet have been greater or less than that done by scrapping the show (as they have in effect) and thus denying an hour of politically incorrect fun each week to that vast audience as well as robbing the BBC of £50 million a year it could have spent on, say, a new Attenborough or Brian Cox science programme?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 780
    Seems like some of the top (w)rankers at the BBC have been waiting for an excuse to sack him for years.................B-)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    That's the point isn't it, this isn't zero tolerance JC has been a dick again and again. Stepped too far this time. It is his fault not the beebs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Come on mags, just admit you want Clarkson inside you.
    My V key is broken
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    I think what may have done Clarkson are the facts of the incident. He didn't just punch the bloke, he belted him for about 30 seconds, in a sustained attack that ended up with the producer having to go to hospital to get patched up. Once that was out in the open, there was no way back.

Perhaps the biggest gaffe was not keeping the whole thing internal, if possible. The fact that Clarkson reported it himself seems to me that he realised he'd royally fkd up.

You don't kick the shit out of a colleague and not expect to get the sack.

From what I've read and seen of the bloke Clarkson, he's a bully and a twat and it looks like he was on a path to self destruct for a while.

I would think the powers that be at the BBC are totally pissed off with the whole thing, but to be fair they had no option but to sack him once the story hit the press.

Perhaps if they had managed the lanky streak of piss better, over the years, they could have prevented his drunken tantrums becoming physical.

He strikes me as a thoroughly despicable piece of crap who went out on the lash, turned up 3 hours late for his food to find, funnily enough the chef had knocked off for the night, and then went mental at the producer who pointed this out to him, battered him so that he had to go to A&E.

On that basis, may I submit my verdict?

He's a Grade A Cock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 780
    I bet he's glad he got out while he wasn't too old to do the job, same as Jimi Hendrix.............................. ;)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    Samgb;573098" said:
    Evilmags said:

Yay for corruption!

You silly man.
    How do you think high earning celebs who's work employs hundreds of people should be treated? Management 's job is keeping the money flowing. Someone junior getting paid say half a million to fuck off is somewhat more preferable to the willful destruction of a franchise worth nearly a billion to the taxpayer. Pretty sure a lot of bands have paid off a lot off staff for similar incidents. When the moral high ground costs the taxpayer a fortune and lots of people their jobs it is not really as moral as it seems...
    Evilmags;573201" said:
    [quote="Samgb;573098"]Evilmags said:

Yay for corruption!

You silly man.
    How do you think high earning celebs who's work employs hundreds of people should be treated? Management 's job is keeping the money flowing. Someone junior getting paid say half a million to fuck off is somewhat more preferable to the willful destruction of a franchise worth nearly a billion to the taxpayer. Pretty sure a lot of bands have paid off a lot off staff for similar incidents. When the moral high ground costs the taxpayer a fortune and lots of people their jobs it is not really as moral as it seems...[/quote]

It's not costing the taxpayer a penny. The license fee won't go up because Top Gear doesn't have Clarkson on it any more. If you're happy to live in a country where it's OK to get away with anything as long as you've got enough money I don't know what to say about that. It's an attitude I just can't understand.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Err, it is costing the taxpayer. The franchise was publicly owned. Capitalising it's income stream on industry multiples would value it at over 900 million pounds. That is a loss to the taxpayer that is real and present.
    As is the compensation the BBC will have to pay for three shows.
    Evilmags;573228" said:
    Err, it is costing the taxpayer. The franchise was publicly owned. Capitalising it's income stream on industry multiples would value it at over 900 million pounds. That is a loss to the taxpayer that is real and present.
    It's not a loss to the taxpayer. It's a loss to the BBC Corporation. There'll be no hospitals or schools closing because Clarkson has gone. Listen to yourself - you're happy that a rich and powerful public figure can rough up a work colleague and you don't think he should be sacked because it'll mean a TV programme you like won't be on anymore. Get some perspective man come on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom