Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    edited March 2015
    oddball said:

I'm not espousing anything , I just think that a load of people losing their jobs over a couple of pissed blokes getting a bit 'up for it' is a crap decision.

Like I said, the world isn't fair and losing your job over two people banging heads doesn't seem right - give him a shrink, shove him in rehab, dock his pay whatever but to can the whole show and write off all that revenue I can't get my head around personally.

I think the exact opposite and that to allow anyone to get away with probably criminal behaviour just because of the revenue they bring in is not in any way justifiable. That's accepting celebrities being above the law, and we have been there before with much more serious consequences. This isn't the same, but it's part of the same culture.

I don't think the person he assaulted was "pissed" or "up for it" either - according to the BBC it was an unprovoked attack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited March 2015
    Wrong post ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    edited March 2015
    Why do people keep harping on about lost jobs? Who apart from JC has actually lost a job?

And why are people hounding this poor producer who didn't even report it!

Also there is a difference between banging heads and a 1 sided attack.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    Where did this "pissed" nugget come from ? 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    BBC investigation.

The UNDISPUTED findings.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/investigation-summary.pdf

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sound like clarkson had a 'Do you know who I am ???' Moment. Acted like a total prick.

Probably needs to spend a while out of the limelight remembering who is he actually is.

Be good for for him.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22601
    oddball said:

I'm not espousing anything , I just think that a load of people losing their jobs over a couple of pissed blokes getting a bit 'up for it' is a crap decision.

Where has it been said that the BBC guy was pissed up?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    oddball said:

Where has it been said that the BBC guy was pissed up?

Or indeed that he was "up for it".  Every report I've seen has indicated that it was entirely one-sided.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    edited March 2015
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Thing is, I actually really like Top Gear, and the 'Jezza' character I know from the show (remember, we only know a character put on for the Cameras!) entertains me greatly. I'm dissapointed all this happened because I enjoy the show a lot! Personally I'd love to live in a world where amusing middle aged men could walk about making puns about slopes and the n-word and get in a barmy with a collegue before they both laugh it off and mend it all with a few pints together. But we don't live in that world yet - people like Clarkson, whether they like it or not, do influence how people out there in the real world think and act. They have, whether they like it or not, some responsibility in shaping how society thinks.

I'd love to live in a world where everyone was emotionally and mentally strong enough, with healthy enough egos and a secure and confident place is society, that Clarkson could walk down the street hurling abuse at, say, black people or mexicans or truck drivers while people of every race and character could watch on and laugh at the absurdity of his comedic stylings. But we don't live in that world, and opinions of that nature can hit home in damaging ways.

Which is why, when someone launches an unprovoked assault at a coworker, I think it's important that they face the consequences regardless of how "important" they are - both in the interests of fairness, and because of the message it sends. I think that just because a decision may seem to have 'political' ramifications (Bloody left wing namby BBC firing outspoken Tory etc), that doesn't mean it's not also the right decision based purely on the facts at hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_controversies

Read this.

What a trio of utter bellends. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22601
    Cirrus said:

Thing is, I actually really like Top Gear, and the 'Jezza' character I know from the show (remember, we only know a character put on for the Cameras!) entertains me greatly. I'm dissapointed all this happened because I enjoy the show a lot! Personally I'd love to live in a world where amusing middle aged men could walk about making puns about slopes and the n-word and get in a barmy with a collegue before they both laugh it off and mend it all with a few pints together. But we don't live in that world yet - people like Clarkson, whether they like it or not, do influence how people out there in the real world think and act. They have, whether they like it or not, some responsibility in shaping how society thinks.

I'd love to live in a world where everyone was emotionally and mentally strong enough, with healthy enough egos and a secure and confident place is society, that Clarkson could walk down the street hurling abuse at, say, black people or mexicans or truck drivers while people of every race and character could watch on and laugh at the absurdity of his comedic stylings. But we don't live in that world, and opinions of that nature can hit home in damaging ways.

Which is why, when someone launches an unprovoked assault at a coworker, I think it's important that they face the consequences regardless of how "important" they are - both in the interests of fairness, and because of the message it sends. I think that just because a decision may seem to have 'political' ramifications (Bloody left wing namby BBC firing outspoken Tory etc), that doesn't mean it's not also the right decision based purely on the facts at hand.
    Hear hear. 

I like Top Gear. I like Clarkson and May. The final series was shite. The BBC did the right thing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I hope the BBC is dismantled and that the license fee is scrapped. I see the loss of jobs and revenue as a good thing. They're all parasites and should get proper jobs.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    Hear hear. 

I like Top Gear. I like Clarkson and May. The final series was shite. The BBC did the right thing. 

Indeed, and even Clarkson was Twittering that people should watch ITV because the shows were so dull.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495

old news, i know...but the TV presenter got sacked and the Deputy Prime Minister didn't

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not a fan of Prescott either but it's not really comparable. It's arguable that Prescott was defending himself - he didn't know if there might be a follow-up at that point - and at the very least he was provoked. He also didn't carry on with an attack on someone who was not trying to retaliate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    well...i am comparing it...

is it ok to assault someone if you think they might be going to assault you?

is throwing a punch a reasonable response to someone throwing an egg?

one got assaulted for providing a bite to eat and the other got assaulted for failing to provide a bite to eat
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10417
    That guy Prescott punched deserved it for sporting an offensive mullet.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited March 2015
    Top Gear doesn't need Jeremy Clarkson. It needs a woman ... says bellend who works for the Torygraph who has no idea what the appeal of Top Gear is .. three middle aged un-PC blokes cannot be replaced by some posh totty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11499449/Jeremy-Clarkson-Top-Gear-doesnt-need-you.-It-needs-a-woman.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    paulads said:
    is it ok to assault someone if you think they might be going to assault you?
    In some circumstances, yes. The law agrees with this.

paulads said:
    is throwing a punch a reasonable response to someone throwing an egg?
    Maybe not if you have longer to think about it, but it was still a provocation. The law agrees with this too.

I could be wrong but I think the police did investigate and decided not to take it any further. Although you also have to ask what were they doing allowing it to happen at all, considering it was a senior member of the government and the thrower *could* have had something more dangerous than an egg.

Not at all the same as punching someone in the course of a sustained unprovoked verbal and physical assault when the other person is not retaliating.

paulads said:
    one got assaulted for providing a bite to eat and the other got assaulted for failing to provide a bite to eat
    lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    Isn't it going to be Dermot O'Dreary now? Going from big talentless offensive twat to little talentless inoffensive twat.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.