New vs used...what's your preference?

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
edited May 2015 in Guitar
Been reading about the 2015 Gibsons on a few threads here. Some hate them and others have pulled the trigger. The prices (in my view) are ridiculous compared to those of only a few years ago. 

So, here's my question. Would you spend your £2,199 on a new Standard or go for something like this 1988 LP Standard at £1800?

Let the discussion begin....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I wouldn't buy any gear new unless totally necessary. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited May 2015
    Used, which is what I did. So yes, for that kind of money, used all the way.  But that doesn't stop me wanting a R8/R9 though.  A new one even. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    I bought my Custom Shop guitar brand new. 
    I would have bought it if it was used. It was that good it didn't matter. 
    I bought it to play though, not to get my money back if I didnt like it. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Either or but if new never at full price unless it's something *absolutely* killer.
  • meltedbuzzbox;629773" said:
    I bought my Custom Shop guitar brand new. I would have bought it if it was used. It was that good it didn't matter. I bought it to play though, not to get my money back if I didnt like it. 
    This is it.

People sweating over resale value may not want a guitar for life and just want to scratch an itch. If I was spending serious money, I'd try every single one in store and in my local area used and pick the best one so it would be a true keeper.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5125
    I've pretty much only bought new, but never pay full price. In fact, most of the gear I have bought new has been at close to or below the used price anyway.

There are plenty of deals out there. You just have to haggle. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    Used, every time. I like the fact that the instrument has been 'broken in', if you will, a bit first.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 160
    I usually buy second hand. For the price of a new standard you're in feline territory and they'll win that battle hands down. But saying that I buy on how it is in my hands. Could be a custom shop Gibson or a knackered old partscaster it doesn't matter. If it's a good guitar that's all that matters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28099
    I've only ever owned two guitars from new - both by Jaden.

I wouldn't buy a new Gibson, though...I'd want somebody else to find all the flaws and bodged bits first. Which is probably why they're selling it...damn, man, that's a conundrum.
    <space for hire>
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Things from Fender and Gibson, I really can't see the point in buying new unless they actually come up with something, err, 'new' that I'd want, which is unlikely. 

From other makers I'd buy new if it was something I wanted - a Fano that doesn't come up second hand f'rinstance - but then I'd probably focus on something else shiny before I got around to it and that is most likely to be second hand as I've been spending the same grand over and over for the last five years and there will be a point where @impmann, @monofin and @blueskunk won't want to buy last week's shiny bauble to pay for this week's obsession and I may just get stuck with something and have to learn to play it or something, as you can't just look at the things, however pretty. It's a tight old rope to tapdance.

So err, yeah. Second hand for me, unless it is a keeper, like Johnny Morris.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    It doesn't matter, but I prefer to buy from shops. I massively value being able to quickly A/B lots and lots of instruments to find out what I like and what I don't - and that is before you get to picking the best example from multiple of the same spec. I bought my Gibson new and it is fantastic, and remains the only guitar I own which has always remained stock. To me, totally worth it and I'd do it again.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I sometimes find buying in shops difficult as there's too much choice. 
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    edited May 2015
    New for me ,

I got sick of trawling ebay/gumtree etc travelling 200 miles and the guitar was a dog, saving a couple of hundred quid at most off the new price, At least in a shop they have a few of the same model. If your only buying it once better to get a guitar that you really love rather than one you will just make do with. I now have 4 keepers and im done. The only guitar that i have now which i bought used is my stills 58 white falcon which is the best gretsch ive ever played or owned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I rarely buy new, There is so much variety in the used market, so many unique instruments spanning 100 years plus, I couldn't justify going new when the variety is always better than new stock, at much better prices.

Plus old wood rules, I bought a 50s ES120 last year for 700, played like adapted cows milk, and had history and mojo to boot, what could you get for £700 new?? not much :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    Loobs said:
    I sometimes find buying in shops difficult as there's too much choice. 
    The longer I've played guitar the pickier I've become. I reject stuff pretty quickly if the neck shape isn't immediately comfortable or it feels dead but the strings aren't etc. Try enough and the right guitar presents itself IME, if nothing feels worth buying then don't. I find I'm happier buying this way but to be honest proper lemons are few and far between at mid price and above these days, if you're less picky then used private is often the best value.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I don't care really. I've bought stuff used and plenty new as well, and I honestly have no preference as long as I'm getting a decent price.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    There are merits to both, I'll look used first though! But with a shop you can get great after sales service, and it is nice to be able to go in and play a few guitars and find out what you like and dont like about each one. 
     If i was to go to a shop looking to buy a Les Paul, I'd play every one I could. Find which neck profile I like, chambered or weight relieved or solid etc. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited May 2015
    I spend many many hours looking through the classified section and seen people advertise second hand gear, it's generally guitars for rip off prices so bad it's comedic, it's usually the regular members with the higher fret counts that try and sell second hand equipment for a good 30+% more than what it retails for brand new for, it's a huge piss take and why I will never do anything but have a look at the classified section for their comedic value, seriously a second hand Epiphone with a much higher asking prices than Gibson Les Paul studio, who the fuck does the seller think he is kidding, Sheratons being advertised for well over £500.00 for second hand ones without a hard case,forget that you can pick them up brand new for well under £300.00, £280.00 the last I saw with a hard case brand new, So yeh I avoid the classified section for guitars unless I'm after a good laugh. It's a shame because if it wasn't for a few of the 'know it all members' trying to screw over and rip off every other member on here they could be a good place, but as they are now, I would rather buy brand new, it's not only cheaper, but you have far less risk and actually get a warranty with your purchase. I know people are going to hate on me for this post and hurl abuse at me because of it, but I'm sorry to say it's the truth. DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    6reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    To be fair Dalefty, you have said publically before that you can get the gear new for less than the used price anyway because of your job. Almost everything must look like a ripoff.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25114
    I prefer to buy used, if possible, just to get better value for money - and, realistically, to retain resale value because deep down I know there's a fair chance I'll end up selling it.

But it very much depends on the condition.  I love relics, I love beaten up guitars.  But I also have a tendency to be obsessive-compulsive about guitars in good condition.  If it's almost perfect but has a little chip on the headstock or some belt marks on the back, things like that really niggle at me.  I blow them out of proportion.  They prey on my mind.  The first ding on a new guitar drives me crazy.

So if I want "as new" I'd probably pay the extra for something that really is new in preference to something "near mint".

With Gibsons, which started this thread, I'd almost certainly go used, 9 times out of 10 - they're rarely "perfect", even straight out of the box, and they age in a cool way.  If I bought, say, a Suhr or Tom Anderson (which I never have) I'd probably go new because they look so pristine they really shouldn't be dinged.