New vs used...what's your preference?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    At my budget there aren't many guitars new that can match the quality of a "vintage" used guitar of the same price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Lew;630604" said:
    I like my guitars like my women.
    When I saw this comment earlier, I briefly toyed with posting,"What? Don't mind being flipped?" - but decided against it on the grounds of good taste.

I see now that I needn't have worried....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    monofin;630717" said:
    @impmann.Your 12 string shergold is the perfect example - I'd lusted after one for years, bought years then never really used it until finally it ended up back with you.As Jooky said I think there's a number of us that are spending the same fund a number of times over in the pursuit of……. well I'm not sure really……
    Sounds about right. I've bought plenty of guitars essentially to try them out... and then flipped those that didn't gel with me.
    Btw, if I didn't say so before - thanks for selling her back to me. It was a moment of madness to let her go! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    impmann said:
    monofin;630717" said:
    @impmann.Your 12 string shergold is the perfect example - I'd lusted after one for years, bought years then never really used it until finally it ended up back with you.As Jooky said I think there's a number of us that are spending the same fund a number of times over in the pursuit of……. well I'm not sure really……
    Sounds about right. I've bought plenty of guitars essentially to try them out... and then flipped those that didn't gel with me.
    Btw, if I didn't say so before - thanks for selling her back to me. It was a moment of madness to let her go! :-)
    that 12 string is a right beast of a guitar!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Generally prefer used. But some things like some Boss pedals eg the TU-3 tuner - seems to sell used for £10-15 less than new so rather than buy a tatty one with a few paint chips/scratches I'd get a new one for £55!  Guitars - find say a nice mint or near mint LP or Strat or Tele and there's a good few hundred squids off the new price to be saved. This is what I've done much more than buying new ones...makes good sense and buy used and in good nick and you can flog it on later for roughly what you paid for it as long as its in the kind of condition you bought it in!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    I said used in my earlier post but I have realised that of the 7 guitars that I have, only 2 are used...
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Bit of both for me. 

Depends on what I'm after, how available it is, how much I decide to wait around, etc. Price obviously comes into it, but I've bought some new knowing that it would obviously cost more, but I'd get exactly what I wanted at the time I wanted it.

I've got some great guitars second hand too. More common models like my N4 so I was happier to wait and get one I really liked. It's never being sold and is easily one of the best guitars I will ever own.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32405
    Pretty well always new for me, and mail order at that.
    That's mainly because of where I live though.

I'm 60 miles from a decent guitar shop and our local paper occasionally has a battered Encore Strat or Line6 Spider amp.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    I said used in my earlier post but I have realised that of the 7 guitars that I have, only 2 are used...
    :D