New vs used...what's your preference?

What's Hot

Comments

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    @dalefty
    I'd love you to show examples of forum members trying to rip each other off - quite an accussation that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    I have bought used quite a few times but tellingly only the news ones have become keepers. I really only buy used if I want to strach an itch, otherwise, if I intend to keep, it's new. Not keen on the smell of other people's stale sweat I guess! 

I'm also not obsessed with resale, it makes you chose the wrong guitar because you have to narrow the field first off and then you've already got an onward sale in mind before you've bought the bloody thing. I've taken a bath on a few but shrug it off for the goods ones I've still got.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    ThePrettyDamned;629778" said:
    [quote="meltedbuzzbox;629773"]I bought my Custom Shop guitar brand new. I would have bought it if it was used. It was that good it didn't matter. I bought it to play though, not to get my money back if I didnt like it. 
    This is it.

People sweating over resale value may not want a guitar for life and just want to scratch an itch. If I was spending serious money, I'd try every single one in store and in my local area used and pick the best one so it would be a true keeper. [/quote]

Totally agree, new or used doesnt matter to me, so long as its the right one!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    I'm half and half. My Strat and Tele were new (gifts from parents), my Cabronita was custom, so had to be new, and my Dove was new because I wanted to try tonnes of dreadnoughts all at once and buy my favourite. My CS336 and SG were both used, and major bargains. Basically, I'm not fussy as long as the guitar is great. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12671
    I want to know where @Dalefty saw a brand new hard cased Sheraton for less than the price of a Dot.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    @jonnyburgo as with all his posts, I wonder if it comes with a large pinch of salt?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited May 2015
    miserneil said: @jonnyburgo as with all his posts, I wonder if it comes with a large pinch of salt?

Well, it may
    look like salt..

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    edited May 2015
    If you ain't got the £2K+ in cash you pretty much have to buy new using credit or a credit card.

Unless you are saintly and save up...............

And if you are wise, and bought online, you can send it back.  Try that with the geezer wot just sold you a 1954 GT for £4K cash..........
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Generally used, because I am a tight (adopted) Scots git.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RickydRickyd Frets: 149

Apologies for going off thread but I've just read DaLefty's comments and although being of the Clarke Kent mild mannered disposition really need to reply. I've been a member here for some time, don't comment a lot, but thoroughly enjoy a lot of the banter and have learnt so much for my modest self build projects. I've bought a few items, guitar, amp and bits and pieces, and I've paid what I wanted to pay for them. Was I being screwed over or ripped off? No, I paid what I wanted, for something I wanted.

And thank goodness for the know it all members, as mentioned I have learnt so much, so many invaluable tips.

'Piss takers' 'screwing over' 'ripping off'. Sorry DaLefty, this is not something I recognise from the Fretboard. I bloody well hope they get the pitchforks out on you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Tbh mate, I wouldn't rise to it. He's clearly got issues.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 627
    Always used unless it is a real steal new. But always mint so as new as I can get & then I can be the one who slowly wrecks it LOL
    Let's face it a new guitar becomes a used one as soon as someone touches the strings anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Dalefty;629864" said:
    I spend many many hours looking through the classified section and seen people advertise second hand gear, it's generally guitars for rip off prices so bad it's comedic, it's usually the regular members with the higher fret counts that try and sell second hand equipment for a good 30+% more than what it retails for brand new for, it's a huge piss take and why I will never do anything but have a look at the classified section for their comedic value, seriously a second hand Epiphone with a much higher asking prices than Gibson Les Paul studio, who the fuck does the seller think he is kidding, Sheratons being advertised for well over £500.00 for second hand ones without a hard case,forget that you can pick them up brand new for well under £300.00, £280.00 the last I saw with a hard case brand new,

So yeh I avoid the classified section for guitars unless I'm after a good laugh. It's a shame because if it wasn't for a few of the 'know it all members' trying to screw over and rip off every other member on here they could be a good place, but as they are now, I would rather buy brand new, it's not only cheaper, but you have far less risk and actually get a warranty with your purchase.

I know people are going to hate on me for this post and hurl abuse at me because of it, but I'm sorry to say it's the truth.

DaLefty
    What a crock of shit.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 852
    Dalefty;629864" said:
    I spend many many hours looking through the classified section and seen people advertise second hand gear, it's generally guitars for rip off prices so bad it's comedic, it's usually the regular members with the higher fret counts that try and sell second hand equipment for a good 30+% more than what it retails for brand new for, it's a huge piss take and why I will never do anything but have a look at the classified section for their comedic value, seriously a second hand Epiphone with a much higher asking prices than Gibson Les Paul studio, who the fuck does the seller think he is kidding, Sheratons being advertised for well over £500.00 for second hand ones without a hard case,forget that you can pick them up brand new for well under £300.00, £280.00 the last I saw with a hard case brand new,

So yeh I avoid the classified section for guitars unless I'm after a good laugh. It's a shame because if it wasn't for a few of the 'know it all members' trying to screw over and rip off every other member on here they could be a good place, but as they are now, I would rather buy brand new, it's not only cheaper, but you have far less risk and actually get a warranty with your purchase.

I know people are going to hate on me for this post and hurl abuse at me because of it, but I'm sorry to say it's the truth.

DaLefty
    What a crock of shit.

Wisdom award, sir
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    Don't rise to it chums, going by most of his other contributions, DaLefty is tantamount to a troll anyway.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    I'm fairly sure DaLefty is a spoof account. I'm just not sure if he's realised it himself yet.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Dalefty;629864" said:

DaLefty
    What a crock of shit.

I have to agree, but the guy lives in a dream world. I avoid his posts unless I'm looking for a good laugh.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Can't agree with DaLefty's prosaic statement nor his conclusions.

But I do find two things odd.

First, I've seen ads on here for, say, '£500 firm' that have later made it to ebay, sold for £400, so the seller only made £350. Why not sell it on here for £350 in the first place.

Second, ads on here for £500 for a common item that is fetching around £400 on ebay, plainly visible in the ebay completed listings. It reminds me of seeing someone trying to part exchange a guitar in a shop years ago. The shop owner was clearly not interested in the guitar - maybe be a Tokai or similar - so he pointed the guy to a forum and said "sell it on there, those fools will pay over the odds". I hope no-one views this forum like that but I do wonder when I see some of the zero/few frets folks adverts.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    In an attempt to put the thread back on track....................

I have always preferred brand new guitars and used amps. My Late Father was completely the other way around, he wanted the reliability of a new amp and the 'Played in' feel of a used guitar.
    I like to get a guitar straight from the box and have a luthier set it up, change the parts i want to make specific to what i want and then play it in myself and bond with it. I have had some great used guitars but it's not what i look for at first.

I have always loved old used amps, albeit after a visit to the amp tech but to me, that's where the 'Mojo' is. One amp i still want and probably will replace one day is the 1985 JCM800 2203 i had when i was a teenager but to me, it's important to get an original 1985 model and have it fully revamped by a tech, rather than go out and buy a re issue. There is something magical about old amps to me, not old knackered amps, they do need servicing and parts replacing but once done, they really are something special.

Pedals can be used for me, no problem. Around half of my board is used and bought from forum members here for VERY reasonable prices.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I prefer used simply for the saving of money, but if I could afford a brand new guitar I think I'd rather spend that money on an old/classic version of it anyway. 

I'd love all my guitars to be 60's originals but that's my preference-I prefer old cars too. I've never understood buying brand new cars as you lose so much value within seconds of leaving the showroom. Same with guitars. 

I can understand people wanting the safety of new with warranty/after care but to be honest, if you know what you're looking for you're not going to get ripped off anyway.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1