I'm sick of being told I don't own a true les paul and I should sell it to get an older one!!!

What's Hot
stenio83stenio83 Frets: 81
There are a lot of purists out there that hate the changes Gibson have made to their guitars, I for one hate the more visuals changes such as the 12 fret emblem on the 2014's and also the horrendous 2015 logo. But apart from that the modifications to the standard have actually been awesome,

Firstly I own a 2013 which I believe was a great year for Lps it was the year they perfected the chambered body's and reverted back to the one piece fingerboards while still keeping the really cool features to the 2012 (I agree they are not to everyone's taste)

It also means I don't have the awful graphic design issues like with the 2014 and 2015s

Firstly what is a true les paul? because like all guitars the so called original spec doesn't suit everyone, today's players are different to those back then so things such as compound radius necks and jumbo frets are around to accommodate that. The pickup configurations on the 2013 are also an awesome edition the tones are all very usable and minic the wiring on such great historical les Paul's like Gary morre's and Peter green's.

These modification have been made by guitarist thought out history as improvements so why do people go mental at Gibson for trying new things because they in fact ain't new are and are features famous players have had on their guitars, I wouldn't call Jimmy pages les paul a true les paul when compared to one of the same year with no mods. Would you?

So are people and guitarist just stuck in there ways and not open minded to change?

I did at one point think of selling my lp because people where saying it wasn't an investment and wouldn't hold its value compared to a 2006 or 2002 lp. Is this really true? I believe the 2013 was a great lp produced inbetween 2 so called 'bad apple lp years' 2012 for the 2 piece finger board scandal (which didn't bother me) and the 2014 horrible 12th fret logo and mini-tune.

I the reason I didn't sell is because I reminded my self on the reasons I brought it the year my child was born the year I celebrated a milestone birthday the whole experience of saying up and buying a new guitar with that nitro smell.

So if you have a new lespaul and love it don't let the views of so called guitar purists make you doubt your decision. Things never change, improve or progress unless people are willing to except change

Just saying :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    If you like your guitar just play it and don't worry what anyone else thinks or says.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    My Les Paul only has a gloss finish on the front. The back and neck are satin. I prefer it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7414
    I've got a 2014 and it's a beast.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    Tell them all to f@@k off...
  • I agree with you here. While purists always complain about the changes, I believe the Standard should always be evolving and introducing new features. Sure, not everybody will like them but I'm sure other people will.

I suppose a revamp of the Traditional range could help, maybe keeping it more in line with the older Les Paul's something like a budget conscious historic? Then you've got an option for people that turn their noses up at the Standards changes. I never really got the point of having a so called Traditional with a zero fret etc!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444
    I've got a Goldtop LPJ from 2013,the most basic LP you could by that year but it's still a Les Paul.Anyone who says otherwise is just being a snob.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    If you like your guitar just play it and don't worry what anyone else thinks or says.
    This /\

There's a bit of an "it has to be a R8/R9" undercurrent around here (and certainly elsewhere), and it's easy to get swept up in that and think that somehow you have a lesser Les Paul.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73232
    edited May 2015
    Who cares? I've had any number of people telling me that my Rickenbacker can't be used for playing lead or that I "rely" on pedals and can't really play without them or that a 100W amp is total overkill for any gig smaller than Wembley so I must be playing at a ridiculous volume, or other idiotic assumptions.

It's your guitar, use it as you want, and if it feels and sounds right to you then it is.

To your audience it's just an electric guitar that's one of those "other" ones (ie Not A Strat).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6240
    tFB Trader
    i dont understand the attitude of people, i bet your guitar rocks hard and sounds great- which ultimately is the point. going by the attitude of some i think youll never be considered a purist till you own a genuine 1959 standard!!- ridiculous.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    stenio83 said:
     it was the year they perfected the chambered body's and reverted back to the one piece fingerboards

Gibson never had a defined year where they stopped using laminated rosewood fingerboards. Laminated boards still appeared on 2013 models and I've seen them on 2014 models.  It stopped when they used all their stock up.

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    ICBM;637231" said:
    Who cares? I've had any number of people telling me that my Rickenbacker can't be used for playing lead or that I "rely" on pedals and can't really play without them or that a 100W amp is total overkill for any gig smaller than Wembley so I must be playing at a ridiculous volume, or other idiotic assumptions.

It's your guitar, use it as you want, and if it feels and sounds right to you then it is.

To your audience it's just an electric guitar that's one of those "other" ones (ie Not A Strat).
    Remember me never to get you to dep a gig
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A real Les Paul is too heavy ,too expensive and has poor upper fret access.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    tell them to go fuck themselves. I don't like some of the visual aspects of 2014/2015 range but I'd never tell someone who owned one its not a real les Paul.

I'd be very surprised if someone could tell the difference between a cherry sunburst 2013 lp standard and a 2006 cherry 'burst standard in a proper blind test unless they'd played the guitars before or looked for the coil taps etc
  • stenio83stenio83 Frets: 81
    edited May 2015
    @Bogwhoppit either way does that really matter in the grand scheme of things as isn't a fretboard stuck to a mahogany neck and maple top stuck to a mahogany body. The point is that people are making assumptions that this is a going to be a problem in the distant future or when regretting, they simply can not assume that because in reality the glue makes it much stronger glue is stronger than the wood much the same when a headstock is repaired it's actually stronger when it's glued. I would like to know what the big issue around 2 piece fretboards is in my opinion it's just more fuss about nothing I wpld take the laminate fretboard, when u consider all the awesome upgrades. And who knows its such a grey area I could actually have a one piece fretboard and thence guess I get the last laugh. I'm happy to tolerate the uncertainty that's life:-)
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited May 2015
    stenio83 said:
    @Bogwhoppit either way does that really matter in the grand scheme of things

I, like may others take resale value into account. I'm too long in the tooth to know very few people buy a guitar for life. So I would always pay less for a lesser spec Gibson in case I have to sell on.

However, if you're buying a CS Gibson, then its very relevant. Paying top price for a spec below the usual standard is going backwards IMO.

Sticking a weird hologram, or having a child scribble over the headstock is a cosmetic faux pas. Changing specific features that have been established in guitar building for decades (one piece boards) is sheer desperation from a company that lost its wood...then tried to sell it as an improvement. 

If it was that much of an improvement, why have they reverted back to one piece boards ?

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    breakstuff;637228" said:
    I've got a Goldtop LPJ from 2013,the most basic LP you could by that year but it's still a Les Paul.Anyone who says otherwise is just being a snob.
    Just about to say the exact same thing. It's no even branded a les Paul but it is one and awesome to go with it

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I understand if a purist wants to discuss purism with other purists. That way, the conversation doesn't negatively impinge upon anyone else's position.

But the moment someone like that decides that its ok to mention their misdirected, self indulgent, over inflated, narrow minded, elitist and largely irrelevant opinion to someone who's not of that inclination, they become a complete idiot.

.....which is good, given that I'm a purist when it comes identifying idiots and it gives me someone else to talk about with my fellow observers!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited May 2015
    At the end of the day it's your guitar
    We are all Chameleons...
  • I'm not a fan of the 2015 lineup at full price

However if the prices drop low enough I will certainly be buying one
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    welshboyo said:
    Tell them all to f@@k off...

And if that don't work a size 11 to the nut sack will get rid of the problem.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)