I'm sick of being told I don't own a true les paul and I should sell it to get an older one!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444
    Don't want to get into the whole 2015 debate as its already been done to death but if the Deluxe models went down in price significantly I'd be all over one,however I would change the stupid sig.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    edited May 2015
    A Reissue isn't a "real" LP either....from MLP forum

Fretboard wood is not Brazilian
    Inlays is not the same colour and appearance
    Tuners are not built like 50's klusons
    Nitro formula changed
    Colour dye used on top now fade resistance
    Thumbwheel is now steel, not brass
    Neck shape differs a little, although back in the 50's they were hand carved so all varied slightly one to the other
    Plastics
    Headstock Gibson logo
    Les Paul Logo
    Pick up covers not 100% accurate
    Capacitors are different
    Pots 
    Glues used between the top and body formula not 100% accurate
    Serial number stamp font
    Top carve, vintage top have more a roulette wheel going on.

So in short....get a real one or get out ?

Absurd really.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stenio83stenio83 Frets: 81
    Test
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    /\ ...ies
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @Bogwhoppit either way does that really matter in the grand scheme of things

I, like may others take resale value into account. I'm too long in the tooth to know very few people buy a guitar for life. So I would always pay less for a lesser spec Gibson in case I have to sell on.

However, if you're buying a CS Gibson, then its very relevant. Paying top price for a spec below the usual standard is going backwards IMO.

Sticking a weird hologram, or having a child scribble over the headstock is a cosmetic faux pas. Changing specific features that have been established in guitar building for decades (one piece boards) is sheer desperation from a company that lost its wood...then tried to sell it as an improvement. 

If it was that much of an improvement, why have they reverted back to one piece boards ?

I appreciate what you're trying to say, and I'm not trying to antagonise, but in fact that view is purely based on a assumption, for example, who has decided that glueing 2 bits of wood together isnt actually a good thing, how does it make it lesser guitar or a lesser standard, also what about all of the other manufacturing upgrades, like 'Plek's' and better binding and overall finishing, loads of other improvements to the manufacturing process but people actually just focus on a one ore 2 piece finger board i find that rather odd tbh all of those manufacturing process actually make it a better guitar than the idea you may have in your mind. ps maybe they should use lead based paint and use toxic fading dyes, embrace the modern thats all I'm saying.
    stenio83 said:
    @Bogwhoppit either way does that really matter in the grand scheme of things

I, like may others take resale value into account. I'm too long in the tooth to know very few people buy a guitar for life. So I would always pay less for a lesser spec Gibson in case I have to sell on.

However, if you're buying a CS Gibson, then its very relevant. Paying top price for a spec below the usual standard is going backwards IMO.

Sticking a weird hologram, or having a child scribble over the headstock is a cosmetic faux pas. Changing specific features that have been established in guitar building for decades (one piece boards) is sheer desperation from a company that lost its wood...then tried to sell it as an improvement. 

If it was that much of an improvement, why have they reverted back to one piece boards ?

I appreciate what you're trying to say, and I'm not trying to antagonise, but in fact that view is purely based on a assumption, for example, who has decided that glueing 2 bits of wood together isnt actually a good thing, how does it make it lesser guitar or a lesser standard, also what about all of the other manufacturing upgrades, like 'Plek's' and better binding and overall finishing, loads of other improvements to the manufacturing process but people actually just focus on a one ore 2 piece finger board i find that rather odd tbh all of those manufacturing process actually make it a better guitar than the idea you may have in your mind. ps maybe they should use lead based paint and use toxic fading dyes, embrace the modern thats all I'm saying.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    Why listen to morons when we are here to love ,listen and insult you ourselves .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3706
    Out of interest, who are these people who say:

You don't own a true les paul and  should sell it to get an older one!!!

At the end of the day it is just an instrument to make music with, that's all.

Does all the minutia really matter?

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    Neil said:

People who can't afford a real burst.
    Neil;637407" said:

People and trolls on other forums and certain people in music shops when I Explain my gear the thing is I'm quite a sensitive person and it feels like they are mocking me because of my decision that is quite upsetting, I appreciate its not a big deal but it does irritant me so that why I thought o would document my opinion.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4779

I like the way Les Pauls are graded by year like fine wine:-

Late sunshine and sufficient rainfall in the fall of 2002 in the Nashville are made for Les Pauls with a soft nose, fruity mids with a hint of pepper in the bass, with a robust and complex sustain. 

Arid conditions on the Mid West in 2003 produced an undesirable crop of 'table' quality Les Pauls; with bitter aromas and an overcrowded bouquet in the upper mids.   Let these breathe before consuming, or better still save them for the occasional guest who seldom partakes in Les Paul consumption.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    menamestom;637421" said:
    I like the way Les Pauls are graded by year like fine wine:-

Late sunshine and sufficient rainfall in the fall of 2002 in the Nashville are made for Les Pauls with a soft nose, fruity mids with a hint of pepper in the bass, with a robust and complex sustain. 

Arid conditions on the Mid West in 2003 produced an undesirable crop of 'table' quality Les Pauls; with bitter aromas and an overcrowded bouquet in the upper mids.   Let these breathe before consuming, or better still save them for the occasional guest who seldom partakes in Les Paul consumption.
    Very good point I feel rather silly now lol
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Seriously though, it ain't a real Les Paul. Good guitar, if you like it then great, but not a real one
    edited May 2015
    @johnonguitar what makes a real les paul? I'm intrigued.
    edited May 2015
    stenio83;637433" said:
    @johnonguitar what makes a real les paul? I'm intrigued.
    1. You need to be able to stand on stage at the Isle of Wight festival and play Alright Now on it

2. It must be heavier than the moon

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Who gives a toss what some anally retentive cork sniffers think?
    If you like a guitar, you'll be the one playing it, not some nit picking obsessive anorak.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    I have a 1991 Les Paul, apparently early 90s is 'good' period. I can't tell the difference between it and any other Les Paul I've played to be quite honest. Don't let anyone make you feel inadequate. If you like the guitar you have, enjoy it and bollox to what any purists think. Your audience don't give a toss anyway, as long as you're entertaining them!
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
    Sassafras;637439" said:
    Who gives a toss what some anally retentive cork sniffers think?If you like a guitar, you'll be the one playing it, not some nit picking obsessive anorak.
    That's some sort of communist attitude that can get you barred from many guitar forums

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3706
    stenio83 said:
    Neil;637407" said:

People and trolls on other forums and certain people in music shops when I Explain my gear the thing is I'm quite a sensitive person and it feels like they are mocking me because of my decision that is quite upsetting, I appreciate its not a big deal but it does irritant me so that why I thought o would document my opinion.
    It's a shame that you should be upset by others opinions of your possessions but there will always be jealous or just plain nasty people around ready to criticise anything.

Just try to rise above it, you've got what you want so to hell with them.

I doubt you would experience anything so childish on here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @sassafras good comment as ever you always speak sense!! Wisdom badge for you my friend