I'm sick of being told I don't own a true les paul and I should sell it to get an older one!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    stenio83;638130" said:
    [quote="jeztone2;638021"]I think you should just play it & enjoy it. I love my dentist guitars. Each to
    His own

Hi Mate 'What's a dentist guitar?'
    [/quote]

@stenio83 prs guitars are usually known as dentists guitars, because their expensive and "dentists/Drs play them"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3706
    Also, regarding the OP's worry about two piece fretboards, mini tunes etc not being real Les Paul's.

Norlin models really messed with the original recipe with three piece tops, pancake bodies, volutes and maple necks (the horror!) but are all considered "proper" Les Pauls and have quite a following now.
  • stenio83stenio83 Frets: 81
    @RaymondLin

Why are new Gibson Les Paul's considered dentist guitars?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    stenio83;638275" said:
    @RaymondLin

Because they're just as blingtastic and expensive as a prs.
    edited May 2015
    Adam_MD;638282" said:
    [quote="stenio83;638275"]@RaymondLin

Because they're just as blingtastic and expensive as a prs. [/quote]

I disagree, a vintage les paul can cost 5k surely that's a dentist guitar then, tbh the idea that there are guitars that define social groups is actually the most ridiculous thing ever IMO
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    edited May 2015
    There's probably a (fairly weak) argument to say that 'no' modern Fender or Gibson in 'a real' whatever - as none of them are made in the original factories, on the same machinery, by the same people who built the vintage classics. In other words, other than 'brand name' the don't have any real historical connection to the past.

I'm reading 'The Dream Factory' (thanks for the recommendation @Ocatonic) about the Fender Custom Shop and much is made of how they had to research body shapes, contours, pick-up specs, etc, in order to get closer to making a guitar the way Fender did in the past. Clearly in 1975, a Strat was a very different different instrument to what it was in 1965. But then a '65 was very different to a '55. Some is one of those 'not a true Strat'?

FWIW, for a guitar to be a 'true' anything, it has to be built by the company which has the legal right to use its name on the headstock, for me. However good a Tokai might be - and I've played some which were very good indeed - it's a copy. A PRS Singlecut is influence by the Les Paul design - it's not a Les Paul. Likewise Andersons/Suhrs et al with Strats/Teles.

On the basis of this, is the OP's a guitar a 'proper Les Paul'? Course it is!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    stenio83 said:

I disagree, a vintage les paul can cost 5k surely that's a dentist guitar then, tbh the idea that there are guitars that define social groups is actually the most ridiculous thing ever IMO
    It's mostly said tongue-in-check, and more a knock aimed at Gibson and their price rises and AAAAAA flame tops, so it looks like they're actively trying to align themselves with PRS rather than tools for the gigging musician.

@Richardhomer

Awesome point totally agree, :-).

What's an OP's guitar in not familiar with this abeviation?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    not_the_dj;638295" said:
    stenio83 said:

It's mostly said tongue-in-check, and more a knock aimed at Gibson and their price rises and AAAAAA flame tops, so it looks like they're actively trying to align themselves with PRS rather than tools for the gigging musician.
    Bingo @stenio83 it was a joke.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7837
    There's probably a (fairly weak) argument to say that 'no' modern Fender or Gibson in 'a real' whatever - as none of them are made in the original factories, on the same machinery, by the same people who built the vintage classics. In other words, other than 'brand name' the don't have any real historical connection to the past.

I'm reading 'The Dream Factory' (thanks for the recommendation @Ocatonic) about the Fender Custom Shop and much is made of how they had to research body shapes, contours, pick-up specs, etc, in order to get closer to making a guitar the way Fender did in the past. Clearly in 1975, a Strat was a very different different instrument to what it was in 1965. But then a '65 was very different to a '55. Some is one of those 'not a true Strat'?

FWIW, for a guitar to be a 'true' anything, it has to be built by the company which has the legal right to use its name on the headstock, for me. However good a Tokai might be - and I've played some which were very good indeed - it's a copy. A PRS Singlecut is influence by the Les Paul design - it's not a Les Paul. Likewise Andersons/Suhrs et al with Strats/Teles.

Wisdom duly awarded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    edited May 2015
    stenio83;638301" said:
    @Richardhomer

That's your guitar.

OP is original poster. That's you. So the OP's guitar is your guitar :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50;638396" said:
    [quote="stenio83;638301"]@Richardhomer

That's your guitar.

OP is original poster. That's you. So the OP's guitar is your guitar :)[/quote]

Awesome thanks man I didn't no that lol. What a plum I am lol
  • KuroblackKuroblack Frets: 78

stenio83 said:
    Neil;637407" said:
    Out of interest, who are these people who say:

You don't own a true les paul and  should sell it to get an older one!!!

At the end of the day it is just an instrument to make music with, that's all.

Does all the minutia really matter?
    People and trolls on other forums and certain people in music shops when I Explain my gear the thing is I'm quite a sensitive person and it feels like they are mocking me because of my decision that is quite upsetting, I appreciate its not a big deal but it does irritant me so that why I thought o would document my opinion.

It is irritating, with that I can agree :)

But, at the end of the day, they're just views - and as I've said on here before, the vast majority aren't even experiences - just second hand views from some bloke on the internet...

If you love your guitar, then that's all that matters. If, when you pick that beauty up, you're Slash - it's Toyko 1992, you've flicked to Treble and you're banging out that classic opening sequence to Paradise City - then who the hell cares :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Kuroblack;638546" said:

stenio83 said:

Neil;637407" said:

Out of interest, who are these people who say:You don't own a true les paul and  should sell it to get an older one!!!At the end of the day it is just an instrument to make music with, that's all.Does all the minutia really matter?People and trolls on other forums and certain people in music shops when I Explain my gear the thing is I'm quite a sensitive person and it feels like they are mocking me because of my decision that is quite upsetting, I appreciate its not a big deal but it does irritant me so that why I thought o would document my opinion.

It is irritating, with that I can agree :)

But, at the end of the day, they're just views - and as I've said on here before, the vast majority aren't even experiences - just second hand views from some bloke on the internet...

If you love your guitar, then that's all that matters. If, when you pick that beauty up, you're Slash - it's Toyko 1992, you've flicked to Treble and you're banging out that classic opening sequence to Paradise City - then who the hell cares :)

Couldn't agree more! :-)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11554
    edited May 2015

At some point though it loses the essence of what makes it what it is.  I think that is what people are trying to get at.

If we go back to the car analogy, is the new BMW Mini a proper Mini?  Personally I would say no.  The Mini is meant to be a small car that's cheap and cheerful. The BMW does not fit that at all.  It's probably a better car but it's not a Mini.  Worst of all it's an Estate Agent Car.

What about Creme Eggs?  Are they still proper Creme Eggs when they are not made with Dairy Milk?  I can't really say for certain as I refused to buy any this year.  I doubt you would find any Creme Egg afficionado who would prefer this year's version to a "proper" one made with Dairy Milk.  For them it's not the real thing.

What about rebranded Russian/Chinese valves with with the Mullard name on them?  They have legally bought the name but none of us are rushing out to get them for our amps.  They aren't anywhere near the same as a genuine British made Mullard.  If someone had a New Valve Day post for one of these, everyone in the amp section of the forum would be jumping in and saying it's not a real one - and in all the important senses they would be correct.  It's not - someone has just put the name on the front.

Like it or not, people perceive certain things to be "correct" for a given guitar, car, piece of confectionary - part of the essence that makes it that thing.  Anything that doesn't have these will not be universally accepted or acclaimed.  That kind of attitude can definitely go far too far though.  That thing from MLP was ridiculous.

That doesn't necessarily mean that something cannot be a good product in its own right though.  I guess that's where personal opinion comes in.

Personally, a 2015 Les Paul would be very low down my list of guitars I want to buy.  I really don't like the logo, I don't want the robotuners, although I could live with those things.  The big killer for me would be the neck width.  Some people will like the neck width.  If it had a neck width I like then for all its shortcomings I'd still take one over the late 70's monstrosities that weigh more than the QE2.

While I don't like it, I'd never say it wasn't a Les Paul though.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    A real Les Paul is almost a legal definition and is as ICBM says. Thing is you get good ones, bad ones and all sorts of inbetween ones.

What is a classic mahogany single cut with twin buckers? Swap most Lesters with a PRS or a Collings and record them, no one will pick pit which is which unless they have played the actual guitars.
  • Is £1399 a decent price for a brand new 2013 standard in tea burst?
    Is £1399 a decent price for a brand new 2013 standard in tea burst?
    yea is it a 'AA' top or a = 'AAA' I paid £1800 new a plus top in 2013 so the price you mentioned seems very good tbh i say go for it :-)
  • stenio83;638954" said:
    badlydrawnbanjo said:

Is £1399 a decent price for a brand new 2013 standard in tea burst?

yea is it a 'AA' top or a = 'AAA' I paid £1800 new a plus top in 2013 so the price you mentioned seems very good tbh i say go for it :-)
    Not sure. Going to go and have a proper look on Friday I think.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Ignore people. I bought a brand new Les Paul in the mid 90s and was told they were crap. It's an awesome guitar. And guess what? They are now highly regarded. Remember in 1954 when the Strat came out - people were dismissive. How much is a genuine 54 Strat worth? Goes to show the herd know nothing.

Just turn the amp up to 10 and rock out with a big grin on your face ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!