The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    Really enjoyable and entertaining test match.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    edited August 2019
    Oh well... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    Really enjoyable and entertaining test match.  
    Yep, feel more confident of England chances going to Leeds.

BREAKING NEWS: The 100 rules in full:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14368
    tFB Trader
    So looking forward to the first days play at Headingley - Weather looking good so should get a full session

So my dream scenario for a goods days entertainment is either - Aussies bat first and we bowl them all out for under 250 - Or we bat first and Root scores a ton in front of his home crowd and say England 280 ish for 2 or 3 at the close of play 
    edited August 2019
    I had a dream last night that Australia got 1016 runs in reply to England's 250 and Michael Clarke was batting for them. I was sat on the pitch next to the rope talking to him and he was saying they couldn't believe how ineffective Jofra Archer was in this match. It looked like my old school playing field.

Weird, I remember the total runs very clearly from the dream, why 1016?

So looking forward to the first days play at Headingley - Weather looking good so should get a full session

So my dream scenario for a goods days entertainment is either - Aussies bat first and we bowl them all out for under 250 - Or we bat first and Root scores a ton in front of his home crowd and say England 280 ish for 2 or 3 at the close of play 
    I hope it's a good day for you Mark. England need to win this.

tFB Trader

I hope it's a good day for you Mark. England need to win this.
    would be great for you going into Old Trafford level
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Smith officially out for Headingley.

Meanwhile England are unchanged - Roy opening again.  What was that Einstein quote about the definition of insanity?

At least the Aussie batting should be as bad as ours without Smith.
    crunchman said:
    Smith officially out for Headingley.

Meanwhile England are unchanged - Roy opening again.  What was that Einstein quote about the definition of insanity?

At least the Aussie batting should be as bad as ours without Smith.
    I'm not so sure, Labuschagne looked good at the crease and might not score the runs of Smith but could contribute some important runs nonetheless.  Looking at the England batting line up, aside from Burns and Stokes I'm not sure who can score any runs or even spend some time at the crease, their defensive games are very erratic at best. 

Jason Roy had a truly terrible test match, hopeless with the bat and incompetent in the field.  Maybe he has photos of Ed Smith dogging or something.  Can't think of any other reason why he'll be picked again. 
    edited August 2019

I have a Aussie work colleague who works at a power plant outside Brisbane and we exchange banter on the cricket. I messaged him after the 2nd Test draw and suggested that Jofra Archer had rattled the fillings of a few of the Aussie batsmen and given them something to think about.

He just replied "Isn't he West Indian?"

They don't like it up 'em them Aussies! =)

tFB Trader

I have a Aussie work colleague who works at a power plant outside Brisbane and we exchange banter on the cricket. I messaged him after the 2nd Test draw and suggested that Jofra Archer had rattled the fillings of a few of the Aussie batsmen and given them something to think about.

He just replied "Isn't he West Indian?" =)

They don't like it up 'em them Aussies!

Just bumped into an Aussie this morning in our town - He effectively had a go at me about Archer - 'he'll get some one killed' he told me as he raved on about his aggressive attitude - I stayed calm and asked about Merv, Pascoe, Jeff etc etc and for years we have had to tolerate such aggression - So you are right in that they don't like it up 'em

It will probably have an impact on the Oz team if their main man can't appear to handle him - Reminds me of the England team touring the WI in the 70's - Fairly new inexperienced team other than Boycott  - Boycott was something like 3rd or 4th out and the team only a few runs on the board - He walked back into the dressing room and chucked his bat in the corner, muttering 'how the hell are you meant to play that' - So what message does that send around the dressing room, when the 'main man' appears to be struggling

He just replied "Isn't he West Indian?"

They don't like it up 'em them Aussies! =)

The current lot don't.  For all of Smith's recent stat padding on flat pitches, I'd still put him behind Border.

What Border did against the the great Windies bowling attack of the 80's was brilliant.
     Just bumped into an Aussie this morning in our town - He effectively had a go at me about Archer - 'he'll get some one killed' he told me as he raved on about his aggressive attitude 
    None of the Ozzies were complaining when Cummins landed a bouncer on Archer's head earlier in the test match. 
    edited August 2019
     Just bumped into an Aussie this morning in our town - He effectively had a go at me about Archer - 'he'll get some one killed' he told me as he raved on about his aggressive attitude 
    None of the Ozzies were complaining when Cummins landed a bouncer on Archer's head earlier in the test match. 
    They weren't complaining when Johnson was doing it to our batsmen a few years ago either.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    crunchman said:
    They weren't complaining when Johnson was doing it to our batsmen a few years ago either.
    They'll bring up Body-Line again soon, you'll see ;)

Lillee & Thompson did exactly the same thing, and I agree Merv et all. 

Anyone remember Dennis Lillee's field placement ..... ?

Winding Jofra up by bowling bouncers to him - they just got what they deserved.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:

Anyone remember Dennis Lillee's field placement ..... ?

Winding Jofra up by bowling bouncers to him - they just got what they deserved.
    That is great - Forgot that so thanks - I recall somewhere that when Lillie released the ball, that Marsh was as far behind the stumps as the 22 yards between the stumps 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    edited August 2019
    That is great - Forgot that so thanks - I recall somewhere that when Lillie released the ball, that Marsh was as far behind the stumps as the 22 yards between the stumps 
    At Perth and some bouncy tracks that happened but not standard. Watch this from 1976 at Perth for instance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t51RjEpw8E0

And we obviously need Perth's finest moment at 35:30...

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Lillee off a short run-up to Richards.

He had one of the finest bowling actions I've ever seen. Whereas Holding was like an electric vehicle gliding up to the stumps Lillee was like a train gathering speed.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    edited August 2019
    There aren't many who could intimidate by the run up alone but Lillee definitely was one. Patrick Patterson certainly did because of his sheer size and Ambrose was the same for height reasons. Waqar when he was younger and off the long run was one hell of a sight too. 

Lillee's action at 50 wasn't bad either. I certainly won't be bowling like that at my half century. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_1ei9FJPQI