The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    8 down for 175 good stuff, get them all for 200 would be grand. Plenty of action today for Mark @guitars4you hope he didn't get too wet this morning!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22140
    Y'know this whole England thing where players from Division 2 were deemed to be lesser quality somehow and never picked? 

So far we have a Division 2 quick bowler wowing everyone for England and the Aussies have picked someone playing Division 2 CC this year to replace the BBSB and he's done very well indeed on two tough wickets. 

Is the gap in quality between 1 and 2 less than it was before? I think it is. 

*best batsman since Bradman

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Nine down and I think play ends at 7:30, so not enough time to bat tonight (and for Roy to be out). 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451

I assume you are being tongue in cheek there.

He's not even the best Australian batsman.  If anyone invents a time machine, I'd like to see how he would get on against the 1983-4 Windies.  I doubt he would have averaged 74 like AB did.
    That's a batting collapse England would be proud of:

BatsmanHow OutBowlerRuns
    Total(52.1overs)179 all out
    WarnercBairstowbArcher611489470
    HarriscBairstowbArcher8181220
    KhawajacBairstowbBroad8211710
    LabuschagnelbwbStokes74215129100
    HeadbBroad08600
    WadebArcher09300
    PainelbwbWoakes11482610
    Pattinsonc RootbArcher215800
    CumminscBairstowbArcher0191300
    LyonlbwbArcher114400
    Hazlewoodnot out15300
    Extras2nb 542lb 1

crunchman said:

I assume you are being tongue in cheek there.

He's not even the best Australian batsman.  If anyone invents a time machine, I'd like to see how he would get on against the 1983-4 Windies.  I doubt he would have averaged 74 like AB did.

I'm as tongue in cheek regarding the BBSB as Morrissey was hand in glove. 

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Y'know this whole England thing where players from Division 2 were deemed to be lesser quality somehow and never picked? 

So far we have a Division 2 quick bowler wowing everyone for England and the Aussies have picked someone playing Division 2 CC this year to replace the BBSB and he's done very well indeed on two tough wickets. 

Is the gap in quality between 1 and 2 less than it was before? I think it is. 

A LOL and I'd wis you as well.  BSBB is a clear joke, good acronym as well. 

In agreement about the gap in quality between 1 & 2.  
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Bugger.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So the two best players on either side today were ringers. Their Saffa and our West Indian.   :o
      Labuschange has had the whole summer to go round the English county circuit  developing a  technique 
    to cope with batting conditions here. ECB are mad to let this happen.  Called into the Aussie test team and he's quite at home thank you.  If you take players who have scored over 1,000 runs this season he's top of the averages.  
    Surely the purpose of county cricket should be to make the test team stronger, not give extended practice opportunities to the opposition. If an England player tried to get game time in Sheffield Shield cricket, he'd be told thanks but no thanks.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14272
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    8 down for 175 good stuff, get them all for 200 would be grand. Plenty of action today for Mark @guitars4you hope he didn't get too wet this morning!
    Great day and stayed dry - Under the new 'Football Stand/Emerald Stand' that backs onto the Rhinos pitch - So by the wicket at almost fine leg and facing the pavilion - Top tier

Enjoyed it - Although at 120ish for 2 I was a bit worried - Stokes and Woakes lost the plot - Not sure why it took Root so long to take them both of, considering Broad/Archer were still fresh - But good recovery

Great fun on the adjoining 'Western Terrace' during any breaks inc the rain - 10/20 playing a fun game of cricket on a walk way - Most in fancy dress - soft ball - rubbish bin for stumps - Got loads of cheers from adjoining fans, especially if the ball when on the 'pitch' and of course the 'Little Hitlers' did not want to return the ball
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited August 2019
    I reckon if I batted at 4 for Australia I’d get a nice half century. 

Root must be relieved , good come back from the bowling unit - though broad bowled beautifully all day. 

Bright sunshine with any luck tomorrow, if we bat poorly all the hard work will be undone and goat will get us 4th innings. 
    Well at least we don't have the risk of following on.

Apparently Buttler and Bairstow have swapped places in the batting order. Perhaps Leach and Roy might also be considered.

Looking forward to another day's absorbing test cricket.
    Cometh the hour cometh the man. Jason Roy your time to bat is nigh, get out there, know where your off stump is by putting your head and front foot in line with it and leave the balls you don't need to hit until the ball goes off then make hay in the afternoon. Get it done, we want a 3 figure score.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14272
    tFB Trader
    Cometh the hour cometh the man. Jason Roy your time to bat is nigh, get out there, know where your off stump is by putting your head and front foot in line with it and leave the balls you don't need to hit until the ball goes off then make hay in the afternoon. Get it done, we want a 3 figure score.
    A good 50 plus from Roy today and a ton plus from Root in this innings please

Labuschange has had the whole summer to go round the English county circuit  developing a  technique 
    to cope with batting conditions here. ECB are mad to let this happen.  Called into the Aussie test team and he's quite at home thank you.  If you take players who have scored over 1,000 runs this season he's top of the averages.  
    Surely the purpose of county cricket should be to make the test team stronger, not give extended practice opportunities to the opposition. If an England player tried to get game time in Sheffield Shield cricket, he'd be told thanks but no thanks.

Overseas players have played in the Sheffield Shield so your final sentence isn't accurate. The scheduling of the SS and financial considerations are a far bigger factor as to why there are no to few overseas players. 

One of the reasons we won in 2005 was through having a County Championship system that had good foreign players coming up against English ones. Good cricket was played and so we had players who didn't have stellar county records coming into the England side and performing well. Removing overseas players if their countries are playing over here in the same season would be utterly daft. 

So the failure isn't that we've given an Australian a chance to get used to English and Welsh conditions. The failure is that we have created a system that actually disadvantages English players as those who play the limited overs format as well as Test cricket do not get more time in the middle at FC level. This then leads to the ECB taking a punt on someone like Roy rather than picking someone who has been in form at FC level. 

Compare Labuschagne to Jason Roy. ML comes over, focuses on 1st class cricket, works on his technique, is successful, and transfers into the Aussie team and scores runs on difficult pitches. 

JR focuses on the IPL and 50 over cricket, hasn't played a FC game all summer outside of the Test arena, and looks like he's been found out already. 

The Aussies are happy to pick a guy like Labuschagne after a county season with 1114 CC2 runs at 65 with 5 tons. The like of Malan (907 runs at 56 with 4 tons) or Hassan Azad (961 runs at 56 with 3 tons as an opener) don't get a look in with our selectors.

The system ain't broken because it allows Aussies to play here during an Ashes summer. It's broken becuse it doesn't let multi-format English players play here during an Ashes summer and leads to the selectors picking a guy ike Roy who has had a total of 10 CC innings from 2017 to 2019 (7 in 2017, 3 last year, 0 this year). 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Preferably in the one innings as opposed to spread over the entire series... 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What is Roy doing?

At the moment, he's not a test opener in English conditions.  Might be ok in India where the ball doesn't move much.
    crunchman said:
    What is Roy doing?

At the moment, he's not a test opener in English conditions.  Might be ok in India where the ball doesn't move much.
    He's walking back to the pavilion at the moment. It would appear that he thinks he's playing in a T20 game.

It's predictable and embarrassing. 
    Same as the one ten minutes ago but he managed to nick it this time.

Why on earth is he playing at those?
    Shit. Root goes for a duck.