The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11305
    Stuckfast said:
    I love me a good dibbly-dobbler. Always a pleasure to see the likes of Darren Stevens dismantling county sides for fun.

I seem to remember Shaun Pollock was very fiery when he first appeared on the scene but most of his success came later when he bowled medium pace.

The odd one is Bhuvneshwar Kumar, who was a 75mph trundler when he first played for India and now gets close to 90mph.
    Merv Hughes was a figure of fun in 86/7 when Botham et al carted him around the test grounds of Australia but was rather more of a concern later on.

As for Darren Stevens - what a great pro. Should have played for England.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    C'mon England tomorrow! Bring it home...

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22141
    Stuckfast said:
    I love me a good dibbly-dobbler. Always a pleasure to see the likes of Darren Stevens dismantling county sides for fun.

I seem to remember Shaun Pollock was very fiery when he first appeared on the scene but most of his success came later when he bowled medium pace.

The odd one is Bhuvneshwar Kumar, who was a 75mph trundler when he first played for India and now gets close to 90mph.

India finally worked out that fitness programmes for bowlers can work. It took some time to twig when RP Singh and Zaheer Khan were totally transformed by playing conty cricket and that Munaf Patel, who came onto the scene being a bit rapid, turned into a seamer seemingly blessed with the run up beloning to Old Man Steptoe. 

A little more Tyson in good study here from 1955. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggskYcM-U3A&list=PLhXOYotqxfTGTYkYMfGM5Ixe1uNdu6oE4&index=1

And one for Larwood as well...

This comes from the 5th Ashes Test played at the Oval in 1930. It gives you an idea of Larwood's pace relative to his peers of the time. Maurice Tate opened with Larwood and Wally Hammond bowls later on: both were medium-fast. You can clearly see Larwood was a cut above in the pace department. Also features the legspinner Ian Peebles, someone I'd read about as a child as having one of the most beautiful leg spin actions ever. They weren't wrong, beautifully flowing. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Stuckfast said:

India finally worked out that fitness programmes for bowlers can work. It took some time to twig when RP Singh and Zaheer Khan were totally transformed by playing conty cricket and that Munaf Patel, who came onto the scene being a bit rapid, turned into a seamer seemingly blessed with the run up beloning to Old Man Steptoe. 

A little more Tyson in good study here from 1955. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggskYcM-U3A&list=PLhXOYotqxfTGTYkYMfGM5Ixe1uNdu6oE4&index=1
    Tysons run up was very different to what you see these days.
  • Thanks for posting that HFD. Very interesting. To think that all those people are ghosts now.
      Interesting the umpire at the Oval test only had one leg, probably lost it in the great war.
    I wonder if any incoming batsman ever asked him for 'one leg ump please' when they reached the crease?!  :s
    Wally Hammond was an interesting bloke, apparently suffered from massive mood swings and someone to avoid of he was on a 'black dog.'  He was a real ladies man and some modern cricket historians reckon  he had gotten a dose of the clap whilst on tour as a very young man from a lady of ill repute which went undiagnosed and treated. Classic symptoms apparently. 
    Also interesting the aussie players referred to coming to England as 'coming home' Don't think many would today!.

Joel Wilson umpiring, hope they've got the DRS equipment in good working order.
    Thanks for posting that HFD. Very interesting. To think that all those people are ghosts now.
      Interesting the umpire at the Oval test only had one leg, probably lost it in the great war.
    I wonder if any incoming batsman ever asked him for 'one leg ump please' when they reached the crease?!  :s
    Wally Hammond was an interesting bloke, apparently suffered from massive mood swings and someone to avoid of he was on a 'black dog.'  He was a real ladies man and some modern cricket historians reckon  he had gotten a dose of the clap whilst on tour as a very young man from a lady of ill repute which went undiagnosed and treated. Classic symptoms apparently. 
    Also interesting the aussie players referred to coming to England as 'coming home' Don't think many would today!.

David Foot's biography of Hammond is a must read (although that is true of all of his books. His book on Harold Gimblett is in my top 10 cricket books. What other sport has such a rich library connected to it? 

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Fucking Northern mugs and their shite weather.

Why can't they play another Test at Lords where it definitely won't rain.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for posting that HFD. Very interesting. To think that all those people are ghosts now.
    I wonder if any incoming batsman ever asked him for 'one leg ump please' when they reached the crease?!  s

DIdn't he miss some time because of the illness?

He was a great player.  As well as being an all time great batsman, he was a superb fielder, and also a very useful bowler.  He actually opened the bowling on one tour of South Africa.  He got good batsman like Bradman and McCabe out as well.
    Broad's second over - a thing of beauty. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12375
    12 runs 1 wicket - rain break.
    Early wicket from Jofra, nice start.

crunchman said:
    DIdn't he miss some time because of the illness?

He was a great player.  As well as being an all time great batsman, he was a superb fielder, and also a very useful bowler.  He actually opened the bowling on one tour of South Africa.  He got good batsman like Bradman and McCabe out as well.
    He missed the entire 1926 season. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Early wicket from Jofra, nice start.
    Not for me.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Another decision overturned, a truly horrific piece of umpiring from Chris Gaffaney.  Huge clunk wooden sound for an edge, originally given not out. 

How on earth was it missed or considered to be coming off the pad?  
    To be fair to the umpire there was a fair bit of crowd noise, cheering Bo Peep going after her/his inflatable sheep. 
    edited August 2019
    Ah the ebb and flow of Test cricket, a flurry of quick wickets for England and things look more balanced again 141-5

I don't think Labuschagne will be doing much ebbing and flowing after that one. Can you have groinal concussion? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    I don't think Labuschagne will be doing much ebbing and flowing after that one. Can you have groinal concussion? 
    He'll be resting the eggs on an icepack in bed later!