The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14858
    tFB Trader
    full commentary of the final days play of "that" Ben Stokes innings. England are 156-3 chasing 359.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/52136844
    and on Sky - I recall the day as I was at a guitar show in the Lake District so had access to the score etc, but did not see it live as such - So going through it now - Lunch and 120 needed with 6 wickets left
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Yep, listening too 

Managed to delay radio 5 live extra TMS repeat to sync with YouTube (Sky freebie)
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22613
    Graeme Watson has passed away. Not a huge name in the annals of cricket but a very decent first-class record. Because of his passing, the footage of him being hit against the World XI has come up. First he got clobbered by Peter Pollock and then topedged a Gregg high full toss. 

Rather reiterates how brave batsmen were in the days of sod all protection. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52944158

Boycott to retire from TMS - I know he divides opinion but I'm a fan of him - But I am a Yorkshire fan as well so certainly biased
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3516

Boycott to retire from TMS - I know he divides opinion but I'm a fan of him - But I am a Yorkshire fan as well so certainly biased
    I'll miss him for sure, without him and Bob Willis, cricket will definitely miss a few big (and grumpy) characters.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11450

I'll miss him for sure, without him and Bob Willis, cricket will definitely miss a few big (and grumpy) characters.

And Botham and Gower.
    scrumhalf said:

And Botham and Gower.
    I don't miss those two!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11545

Sad news.
    He'll end up on TalkSport. 

Excellent to see the 1984 England-West Indies Test last night.

edited June 2020 tFB Trader

I did not know it was on until I turned the TV on and did some channel hoping so glad I saw most of it - Could have watched a longer version as well - Obviously from the days when BBC had some sport still

I did not know it was on until I turned the TV on and did some channel hoping so glad I saw most of it - Could have watched a longer version as well - Obviously from the days when BBC had some sport still
    Every ball bowled over those five days would have been fine with me :) Funny thing was seeing some Twitter folk talking about the one camera angle. I actually like having a camera face on to the bowler. It gives a far better idea of what it is like for a batsman to face a quick bowler. 

Good memories. Gatt padding up like an eejit, Malcolm Marshall bowling like a demon, and the shot Greenidge plays off Pringle at 54.50. Might well be my favourite shot of all time. It's neither beautiful nor ugly but utterly perfect in its dismissiveness. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000jy61/cricket-cricket-classics-england-v-west-indies-1-lords-1984

tFB Trader

Every ball bowled over those five days would have been fine with me :) Funny thing was seeing some Twitter folk talking about the one camera angle. I actually like having a camera face on to the bowler. It gives a far better idea of what it is like for a batsman to face a quick bowler. 

Good memories. Gatt padding up like an eejit, Malcolm Marshall bowling like a demon, and the shot Greenidge plays off Pringle at 54.50. Might well be my favourite shot of all time. It's neither beautiful nor ugly but utterly perfect in its dismissiveness. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000jy61/cricket-cricket-classics-england-v-west-indies-1-lords-1984
    I know Ian and Viv were big mates, but I liked the banter when Botham bowled an ultra short pitch bowl and Viv walked almost up the the non strikers end, egged on by Ian with a big smile

Forget what swagger Viv carried with him - Nonchalant - Never arrogant, but he knew he was good - And Sir Clive looked so unlike any other cricket, before or since - In fact just doesn't look like any sports star - I totally forgot about Small 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I watched it too! Those umpires were so trigger happy on the lbw's 

Forget what swagger Viv carried with him - Nonchalant - Never arrogant, but he knew he was good - And Sir Clive looked so unlike any other cricket, before or since - In fact just doesn't look like any sports star - I totally forgot about Small 
    Over the last 15 years or so when I'd make the occasional visit to watch a day's test match at Lords I'd see Sir Clive pootling about. You're right he doesn't look like anyone else, in some ways he could be my tall distant fat Guyanese uncle (when I was fatter and had a moustache), he's possibly the most avuncular genius of test match cricket (I can think of, I imagine @Heartfeltdawn dawn will come out and correct me with 5 guys from the India, Pakistan and Sri Lankan teams who are even more avuncular and won Wisden awards for their contribution to the very fields). 

The most important thing about Gladstone Small is that he has no neck. Back, then head. No neck.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^ I was on about Milton Small not Gladstone Small - looks like that match we saw from Lords was only his 2nd yet last appearance  test match
    ^^^^^^^^^^ I was on about Milton Small not Gladstone Small - looks like that match we saw from Lords was only his 2nd yet last appearance  test match
    Thanks for the correction but it's always good to mention Gladstone Small.
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the correction but it's always good to mention Gladstone Small.
    You mention Clive Lloyd - I never saw him life, but I saw Michael Holding - When he played for Derbyshire he played near our local village for a charity match - Of about 3 paces incredible how fast and smooth/slick he was - The crowd were asking him to show the full run up and pace but he wouldn't 
    tFB Trader
    Just thinking - WI generally had a 4 pace attack - so from the late 70's to mid 90's who would be your lethal 4

Holding, Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose  - So no Garner - Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and pick who gets the new ball out of that bunch - I'd probably rotate it and let them decide
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11545
    edited June 2020
    Just thinking - WI generally had a 4 pace attack - so from the late 70's to mid 90's who would be your lethal 4

Holding, Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose  - So no Garner - Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and pick who gets the new ball out of that bunch - I'd probably rotate it and let them decide

Ambrose vs Garner is a tight call.  Both were absolutely great.

For a balanced team, Walsh probably works as the "into the wind" bowler, but I think Andy Roberts or the young (pre-back injury) Ian Bishop were probably better.  Bishop had the potential to have been the greatest of the lot.  He was never the same when he came back.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11450
    Holding and Lillee both had magnificent run-ups and actions. Holding just glided along and with Lillee you could hear an express train thundering past as he ran in.

They were poretty bloody good when they delivered the ball as well.

John Arlott said of Lloyd's batting that it had the air of "the stroke of a man knocking a thistle top off with a walking stick"