The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Stuckfast said:
    If they're both fit, I'd pick Woakes ahead of Curran. I think he's better at both disciplines, even if he doesn't offer the variety of left-arm and the gift of picking up wickets with rank bad balls.

And if he's back to any sort of form I'd like to see Moeen Ali in the side, though I don't know who you'd leave out to make way for him. When he's at his best I think he's a more threatening bowler than Bess, but it's been so long since he was.
    I wouldn't pick Woakes on the basis that he's picked up 3 wickets in 3 Tests in India at 81, his overall away record with the ball at 50+ is worse than Curran's and there's a one run in their overall batting average so no clear batting advantage that Woakes has over Curran. 

I agree on Moeen over Bess if he's fully match ready. Whether there's enough pre-series game time for Moeen to get some form in, not sure. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    Paine conceded 18 byes in the Indian 2nd innings, that may be enough to give the selectors cause to drop him. Admittedly I haven't seen any highlights, so I don't know how much he was to blame, but if you can't kick an Aussie captain when he's down then cricket is in a sorry state. 
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    Paine conceded 18 byes in the Indian 2nd innings, that may be enough to give the selectors cause to drop him. Admittedly I haven't seen any highlights, so I don't know how much he was to blame, but if you can't kick an Aussie captain when he's down then cricket is in a sorry state. 
    Here is to hoping Paine stays as Aussie captain for the Ashes at least. 

Interesting England squad for the India series. I fully understand the need for rotation, resting and giving players a break in a year with 17 test matches and constant bio secure bubbles, but given Sam Curran was the difference between the two sides the last time they met I am very surprised he is not in the squad for the first two tests. "Rested"
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    Yes they've "rested" Bairstow too, which seems... odd.
  • scrumhalf said:
    You remember that crack Mitchell Starc hit to get rid of Vince not so long back? There were some moments like that. At times Lyon was around the wicket and getting balls turning to first slip. He'd then hit the same spot and the ball was coming into the left hander after pitching like a doosra. It wasn't easy keeping out there on the final day at all. 

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    Seem to remember there were a couple of bumpers that beat the keeper for height as well. I think they'll be more worried about the dropped catches and dubious captaincy decisions. The fact that there's no obvious successor will probably keep him in for now.
  • Stuckfast said:
    Seem to remember there were a couple of bumpers that beat the keeper for height as well. I think they'll be more worried about the dropped catches and dubious captaincy decisions. The fact that there's no obvious successor will probably keep him in for now.
    There's no obvious successor for both captaincy and wicketkeeping duties. Wade's a busted flush in my view in both departments, 

England are now 17-2. Both openers falling to the spinners. Will repeat what I said earlier particularly about Sibley. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523
    edited January 2021
    Stuckfast said:
    There's no obvious successor for both captaincy and wicketkeeping duties. Wade's a busted flush in my view in both departments, 

England are now 17-2. Both openers falling to the spinners. Will repeat what I said earlier particularly about Sibley. 

India must have a left armer somewhere even with Jadeja injured. Burns will probably come back, but he might fnd Ashwin difficult.

What you said about opening with Curran might make sense but they have left him out of the squad.  I don't think opening with Moeen is an option as India have competent quick bowlers who will bounce him.  He shouldn't be batting higher than 8 these days.

• I made my squad choices before the mad England stuff sadly...

Of the Indian squad, you have two left arm spinners in that team and four in total. Ashwin and Sundar on the right, Axar Patel and Kuldeep Yadav for the left. 

India: Virat Kohli (C), Ajinkya Rahane (VC), Rohit SharmaMayank Agarwal, Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara, KL Rahul, Hardik Pandya, Rishabh Pant (WK), Wriddhiman Saha (WK), Ravichandran Ashwin, Kuldeep Yadav, Axar PatelWashington SundarIshant Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, Md. Siraj, Shardul Thakur

A shame they didn't give Shahbaz Nadeem a go in the squad instead of keeping him on the reserve list. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523
    Will England get there? Who is going to be brave and say "Yes"?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14810
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    is 'maybe' allowed - And tell you more later - A lot obviously depends on Root but time is one our side so let see the openers put a 50 partnership together and a rock to build on

Hope Root has one of those magical years - 1000 test runs in 2021 and one hell of a start with so many matches to come
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    crunchman said:
    Yup, I'll be brave and say yes.... they need to focus on batting time and the runs will take care of themselves. My biggest worry is that england will try and force the runs and get out to dumb shots.
    tFB Trader
    Credible start - Think in a controlled way, Bairstow should take it to them, whilst we are only 1 wicket down and Sibley more 'sit in' and support - Bairstow take more of the strike - Not so much 20/20 mode but don't just block and hope  - Get close to 100 and the finishing line will be nearly in sight (famous last words)
    tFB Trader
    5 Live for me - Not going anywhere - Glad Root/Sibley are rotating strike - Don't get bogged down - Suspect we are going to get nervous
    Root's just gone, have the rest of them got enough to get them over the line?

Very tense. 
    tFB Trader
    5 Live for me - I'm not going anywhere  - Don't get bogged down - Suspect we are going to get nervous
  • camfcamf Frets: 1201
    Really hanging in the balance now, isn’t it? 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1201
    That was an unlucky dismissal for Root, it looked like it hit glove and possibly even pad on its way through to glance leg stump. You'd be pretty grumpy to get out like that. 
    edited January 2021
    Lawrence goes, bat to pad to keeper.

How many rebound catches have there been in this series, it's ridiculous.

I think Buttler has to stay there to the end. 
  • Proper Code Brown signals going out now.