The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Harry Brook - On fire at the moment - And can't get in the 50 over ODi team for the forthcoming WC 

Selectors keep doing stupid things.  Like leaving Foakes out of the Ashes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Harry Brook - On fire at the moment - And can't get in the 50 over ODi team for the forthcoming WC 

Selectors keep doing stupid things.  Like leaving Foakes out of the Ashes.
    Looks like he is now on a provisional list - Certainly v NZ and then Ireland in the forth coming 50 over ODi matches - With 6 seamers in the ODi WC squad then surely they can drop one, in India, for HB - Yet are all those 6 seamers 'healthy' 

With Ali and Rashid almost certainly guaranteed a place in the starting line up - With a strong option of Livingstone in there as well, that is 30 overs available between them - Possibly 2-5 overs for Root - Curran as an all rounder, they only need two more pace bowlers in each match - Unsure if Stokes will bowl at all and maybe that is the issue 

Bairstow, Roy, Root, Brook, Malan, Stokes, Butler, Curran, Ali, Rashid, Pace, Pace - That's 12 and still no Livingstone - So maybe Brook for Malan  - Maybe it's not as easy as I think as I still want to get 2 dedicated pace bowlers in there - Stokes is the issue yet he should be able to play on his batting and fielding alone - I'm sure you can't not play him - Would be better/easier if he could bowl say 5/6 overs and split him with Root as required
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Honoured to announce I have been asked to serve on MCC Cricket Committee for four years.

Truly over the moon.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Honoured to announce I have been asked to serve on MCC Cricket Committee for four years.

Truly over the moon.
    Any particular role, game plan, within such an organisation - ie a particular area you'll be working on 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Congrats.

Have they set out a schdule to transform you from strat-toting gunslinger to gin-slinging old dodderer (as Ian Botham memorably described them).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    Congrats.

Have they set out a schdule to transform you from strat-toting gunslinger to gin-slinging old dodderer (as Ian Botham memorably described them).

I'm a Les Paul man these days. Sad but true.

Gassage said:

Truly over the moon.
    Any particular role, game plan, within such an organisation - ie a particular area you'll be working on 
    Comms, unsurprisingly

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Well, that was a good start, wasn't it?

All eleven English batsmen scored double figures, none of the Kiwis did. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Australia just got stuffed by South Africa. 
    They one by 134 runs .
    The cheats Warner and Smith didn’t last long  Loved the look on there faces as they walked back to the pavilion  =)
    tFB Trader
    Yes, the Aussies are enjoying a good autumn in two world cups aren't they !!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Have to say I'm a tad confused by this "net run rate" malarkey - the live-text on the BBC seemed to be complaining that Aus were looking after their NRR rather than trying to chase the score?

I've read up on the calculation, but that hasn't made it any clearer...

tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    Have to say I'm a tad confused by this "net run rate" malarkey - the live-text on the BBC seemed to be complaining that Aus were looking after their NRR rather than trying to chase the score?

It is only required in the case of 2 teams having the same amount of points- Therefore a calculation regarding NRR comes into play 

I don’t know the finer detail but in essence it equates as goal difference and goals scored as in football 

I found out today that say you scored only 100 runs and are bowled out in 20 overs you would not have a run rate of 5 - they still divide it by the 50 allocated overs so your run rate would actually now be 2 - As such today it was better for the Aussies to drag out a looming defeat and try and get some runs on the board - Equally SA would have wanted to bowl them out asap to improve their stats
    Nitefly said:

It is only required in the case of 2 teams having the same amount of points- Therefore a calculation regarding NRR comes into play 

I don’t know the finer detail but in essence it equates as goal difference and goals scored as in football 

I found out today that say you scored only 100 runs and are bowled out in 20 overs you would not have a run rate of 5 - they still divide it by the 50 allocated overs so your run rate would actually now be 2 - As such today it was better for the Aussies to drag out a looming defeat and try and get some runs on the board - Equally SA would have wanted to bowl them out asap to improve their stats
    Now THAT bit makes sense!  Thanks for that, Mark, it's almost clear now!  ;)

England making hard work of Afghanistan this morning...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/66854581

:o :s :/  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited October 2023
    Afghanistan made easy work of England.
    Another disappointing performance by Englands batsman bowlers and fielding and a just deserved win by Afghanistan .
    They really did deserve that win and I ended up hoping they would win because they all put there hearts and soul into that match.
    Englands problem is to many of our best white ball players were left at home out of the squad .
    Ben Stokes will play in the next match but won’t last long .

edited October 2023
    The Netherlands are playing brilliantly against South Africa.
    SA are 139 for 6 at the moment 
    Holland can do this fingers crossed.
    SA need 105 from 79 balls.
    edited October 2023
    David Miller gone brilliant SA 145 for 7 
    Come on you Netherlands.
    what a catch SA now 147 for 8  :3
    tFB Trader
    David Miller gone brilliant SA 145 for 7 
    Come on you Netherlands.
    what a catch SA now 147 for 8  :3
    Yes and I thought Eng losing to Afghanistan was an upset
  • South Africa need 60 runs from 13 balls .
    Outstanding play by the Netherlands  <3