A Strat can do Les Paul, but a Les Paul....

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    my triple humbucker les paul (black beauty) does the start in between sound pretty well

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    usedtobe said:
    Feck strats!

MAY BEES EAT YOUR HEAD
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73156
    meltedbuzzbox said:

my triple humbucker les paul (black beauty) does the strat in between sound much better than a Strat
    Edited for accuracy :).

A 3-pickup SG custom is even better. You get the character of it but without the horrible thinness most Strats have.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's utter crap @icbm!!

A very few Strats sound thin yes. But not most strat
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73156
    Almost all Strats sound thin in the bridge/middle position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    Strats do sound thin but that is part of their charm for certain sounds.

After playing my Strat and switching to my Les Paul the difference in power/sound is profound.

Although judging by the amount of pedals some of you lot play through I'm surprised you can tell what guitar you are using.

:P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7220
    edited May 2015
    When Strats fall over they 'relic'.

When Les Pauls fall over they 'break'.

Discuss...
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Ah - it's all a personal thing at the end of the day - I hate humbuckers because they always sound middy, muddy, clacky and honky

A nice les Paul with 3 single coils - no there's an idea ;)
    Also the best sounding Les Paul guitars for me are the ones with maple necks.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Anyway...

... Mumford and Son have ditched the banjos for Jazzmasters, it would seem, but they still can't do credible, so they ARE redundant.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Shit, have they ?

Time to ditch my Jazzmaster, then
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Don't worry @impmann. It'll just be till they re-invent themselves as a non-credible version of something else.
    Levellers lite

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    Esquire with a few cap changes owns them both.
    ab2014 said:
    Esquire with a few cap changes owns them both.
    An Eldred mod is in my main squeeze.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Les Pauls don
    dogload said:
    Anyway...

... Mumford and Son have ditched the banjos for Jazzmasters, it would seem, but they still can't do credible, so they ARE redundant.

They could play gold plated, diamond inlayed '59 Les Pauls and they'd still be cardigan wearing baloney
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Post a video of you playing the intro lick to sweet child of mine on a strat
    Only then will I believe you...
    Sure it's possible to play the notes but on anything other than an LP it sounds gash
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ^^nah Strat neck pickup with a nice rich smooth gainy sound will still do a good SCOM. I've seen it a few times on youpube already. And of course done it myself (as an owner of both Strats and a LP...and many others.) The Les Paul sounds bang on obviously but a Strat dialled in right sounds easily close enough to not have people think "that sounds wrong". IMO of course.
  • Cabicular;643285" said:
    Post a video of you playing the intro lick to sweet child of mine on a strat
    Only then will I believe you...
    Sure it's possible to play the notes but on anything other than an LP it sounds gash
    It sounds gash on an lp.

It always did... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
      I have yet to hear a really convincing crunchy ZZ Top sound from a strat though.  But, the fact is, most people in the audience don't notice these things.  
    Hmmm - well seeing as the Rev W Gibbons often uses a Strat in the studio got me thinking. I also recall reading that Sharp Dressed Man was recorded with a Strat... so I shoved a crap Peavey mic in front of my VamPower practice amp, plugged the new 'Pinky' Strat into a M13 and selected the Tube Drive model (settings unchanged from factory) clicked record on Ableton and bashed this out... 

Before you cast ridicule at the playing (yes its rough), bear in mind I haven't played this tune live for at least 10 years and I had to work out the slide solo for fingers, as I couldn't find my bottleneck.

But, its ballpark... innit.