A Strat can do Les Paul, but a Les Paul....

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    koneguitarist;644335" said:
    Strats are for girls, or little boys who don't know how to find their tone in any guitar.

Right I'm off!! X_X
    Start running boy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A boss ph1r, an oscillating delay and an m5 can make all of the bonkers noises I need with no guitar connected to the amp at all.

Guitars are redundant? ;)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12064
    I have noticed something last night at another wedding, which had another cover band. It hit me that I've personally have not seen a band whose lead guitarist had a LP has his guitar, it's mostly telecaster and strats.
  • RaymondLin;644466" said:
    I have noticed something last night at another wedding, which had another cover band. It hit me that I've personally have not seen a band whose lead guitarist had a LP has his guitar, it's mostly telecaster and strats.
    It's cos they're better, init?

:)
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    underdog;642766" said:
    Strats are ugly, the sound they make is irrelevant :D
    But not as ugly as a lp, unless it had the horrible 70s headstock.

I had a lp and a hss Strat that had a mid boost. The Strat did everything the lp did and more, was lighter, had a better neck and fret access and was more aesthetically pleasing. The Lp lasted 3 months. That's 15 years ago and everyone I try one I just think, not a cat in hells chance.

Lp's are irrelevant Imo unless your trying to look like a jaded 70s rock star.

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    An Hss strat is probably the most versatile guitar a covers band could use if only 1 guitar was to do it all. But a LP has more beef and well er more mud also. Sometimes it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Strats win eaily on playability...as well as versatility. Oh yes. And i has em both.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    edited May 2015
    A Strat WITHOUT HBs CAN'T do a LP...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Good luck doing Neil Young on a Strat. A friend of mine tried to do that, he put a mini humbucker from a 1965 Firebird he has. It was very muddy, but didn't have the same warmth. His stock Epi LP Standard sounded more like Neil Young, just a bit cleaner.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73156
    Sassafras said:
    There are a lot of pedals out there that can get you there.
    That's true. The difference between a single coil and a humbucker is largely (NOT entirely, before anyone says otherwise!) down to EQ. With an EQ pedal you can turn a single coil into a passable impression of a humbucker and vice versa.

What you can't do is make a guitar without the same unique spacing of the pickups sound like a Strat in the in-between positions. (Not a sound I like really, but that's beside the point.) Obviously discounting other guitars like the 3-pickup LP Custom with similar pickup spacing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @olafgarten who TF wants to sound like Neil Young?

(runs in similar direction to @Koneguitarist)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @olafgarten who TF wants to sound like Neil Young?

(runs in similar direction to @Koneguitarist)
    It sounds great if you can control it, although I doubt many guitarists can. Either way, behind that distortion and tree hugging, there is a lot of talented guitar playering. It really comes through on his acoustic stuff like Cowgirl in the sand, Old Man and Find the Cost Of Freedom (with CSNY).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11450
    This thread is inherently anti-GAS and therefore heretical.

Prepare the ducking stool, it's going to be a busy bank holiday Monday!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf;645071" said:

Prepare the ducking stool, it's going to be a busy bank holiday Monday!
    The Anti-GASsers must be locked away for the rest of their poor, misguided lives.

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    scrumhalf said:

I agree, any self respecting guitarist should have a Strat, a Tele and a Les Paul, bare minimum.  Fanatics will add an SG, something with P 90's and assorted other types.  Well OK, that's what I've been trying to do anyway.....

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Are we talking actual Les Pauls or other similar 2x humbucker mahogany guitars too?
    My Westone prestige 250 would generally be considered a lp style (to the uninitiated) and it has 2 volume /2 centre detent variable series/parallel /tone knobs, and it does a decent strat sound without cutting a coil.
    Makes everything but a tele and a p90 equipped axe redundant ;)