A Strat can do Les Paul, but a Les Paul....

What's Hot

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    impmann said:
      I have yet to hear a really convincing crunchy ZZ Top sound from a strat though.  But, the fact is, most people in the audience don't notice these things.  
    Hmmm - well seeing as the Rev W Gibbons often uses a Strat in the studio got me thinking. I also recall reading that Sharp Dressed Man was recorded with a Strat... so I shoved a crap Peavey mic in front of my VamPower practice amp, plugged the new 'Pinky' Strat into a M13 and selected the Tube Drive model (settings unchanged from factory) clicked record on Ableton and bashed this out... 

Before you cast ridicule at the playing (yes its rough), bear in mind I haven't played this tune live for at least 10 years and I had to work out the slide solo for fingers, as I couldn't find my bottleneck.

But, its ballpark... innit.    

It is!  I saw ZZ Top just before Sharp Dressed Man came out and he played one Les Paul all night, however, your example sounds great.  This is another case where studio vs. live caught me off guard, another being that years back when Zeppelin were killing it every picture I saw of Jimmy Page showed him playing a Les Paul so I bought one.  After years of trying to get "his" sound I found out he had recorded most of Zep 1 and 2 with a Tele!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705

It is!  I saw ZZ Top just before Sharp Dressed Man came out and he played one Les Paul all night, however, your example sounds great.  This is another case where studio vs. live caught me off guard, another being that years back when Zeppelin were killing it every picture I saw of Jimmy Page showed him playing a Les Paul so I bought one.  After years of trying to get "his" sound I found out he had recorded most of Zep 1 and 2 with a Tele!

Re Pagey, certainly all of LZ 1 was recorded using his Tele.

From what I have read he got his LP from Joe Walsh in 1969 so  virtually all of LZ 2 featured his LP and going forwards with occasional outings for the Danelectro (Kashmir) and the Tele on the second solo of Stairway.

One fact that did surprise was when J.Mascis, the Jazzmaster devotee, stated that he always used LP Juniors and Tele's in the studio.
    :-O
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Probably because the Jazzmasters he has are so unplayable in the studio and have hideous intonation problems due to the ludicrous set ups on them.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    All guitars sound the same to 99.9% of listeners. It's only guitarists who think they can tell the difference, like when they put a duracell battery in their wah rather than an ever ready.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    impmann said:
    Probably because the Jazzmasters he has are so unplayable in the studio and have hideous intonation problems due to the ludicrous set ups on them.

And yet manages to make them sound OK live?

I admit to being a Mascis,  D Jr fan.

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Yeah, like guitarists who use Everyready batteries are ever going to get an audience. Have you heard those things? Total tone suckers.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Andy Latimer is a known LP user, but he does also use Strats. He still manages to get the thick creamy sound out of a Strat so I guess the guitar isn't the big issue for him. Although I prefer it when he plays his LP. Even so, his Strat does leave out a little something that his LP puts in.

I wouldn't expect a Strat to "do LP", nor an LP to "do Strat". It's one of the many reasons why guitarists often have both. So the thread title is BLX ;)

Vive la difference :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73154
    Neil said:

One fact that did surprise was when J.Mascis, the Jazzmaster devotee, stated that he always used LP Juniors and Tele's in the studio.
    On the songs with trem on them? I suppose not impossible - Bigsby maybe...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Neil said:

On the songs with trem on them? I suppose not impossible - Bigsby maybe...
    No idea TBH.

Just what he came out with in an interview.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    When I finally figured out how to get a great clean from a Les Paul, my Strat and PRS became obsolete.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11450
    Tables have four legs. My cat has four legs, therefore my cat is a table.

Is the table obsolete, or the cat?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    scrumhalf said:

Now, were they playing that table in the studio or onstage......

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    scrumhalf said:

Have you tried standing a cup of tea on your cat?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11450
    dogload said:
    scrumhalf said:

Have you tried standing a cup of tea on your cat?
    No. And the table is shit at catching mice.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73154
    The Chinese wouldn't eat a table.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Back in the day if you wanted distortion live you plugged a les Paul into your amp because it pushed the circuit harder. A strategy became more usable with the amps of the day with external fuzz or treble boaters and then higher gain mv amps. Classic sounds from the 70s were more often recorded with fenders suplimented with some drive device.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4223
    edited May 2015
    Strats are for girls, or little boys who don't know how to find their tone in any guitar.
    Right I'm off!!
    X_X
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4223
    stonevibe said:
    ab2014 said:
    Esquire with a few cap changes owns them both.
    An Eldred mod is in my main squeeze.

Same here!
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    Strats and Les Pauls are just different get over it.
    Oh and @koneguitarist RUN!
    Don't touch that dial.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 371
    A good LP should do tele so I guess both teles and strats are redundant?