Game of Thrones

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    Cirrus said:
    I'm struggling to imagine how the conclusion could live up to the immense complexity and scope of the rest of the story - the thing that made the earlier books so fantastic, and the characters so compelling, is that they're all struggling to survive and thrive in a real, ongoing world filled with shades of grey, good and bad luck, strong and weak characters. Largely it's not about goodies and baddies.

Wrapping up a world into a neat "beginning, middle & end" storytelling format kind of goes against the natural order of the world as a messy place with loose ends. But we hate loose ends (see: Lost) and we hate contrived endings (see: Lost). So it's not easy to finish something like this in a satisfying way.
    The tv series is never going to be as complex as the books, it would take dozens of series. The good thing about the tv version is it’s never taken the soft fluffy option and hasn’t been afraid to kill off major characters. I honestly don’t know how it’ll all get resolved but it’s bound to be better than Lost, whatever happens. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    boogieman said:
    The tv series is never going to be as complex as the books, it would take dozens of series. The good thing about the tv version is it’s never taken the soft fluffy option and hasn’t been afraid to kill off major characters. I honestly don’t know how it’ll all get resolved but it’s bound to be better than Lost, whatever happens. 
    The Tv series is actually pretty faithful a lot of the time - it just gets rid of the shit bits. And halfway through, where it did re-work or deviate from the books (at about the point the books started to jump the shark) I think the TV series improved the story; We managed to avoid an entire episode of Brienne going for a walk and sharing a meal with some travellers, for example.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7751
    I reckon if it was intentional it would've been more similar.  The arm-mosiac was just a symmetrical swirly pattern.

My money's still on Night King = Bran, somehow. 
    We saw who the night king is (I think - I'm not among the bigger nerds on this stuff) - there was a flashback to when the children of the forest created the white walkers to fight the first men - I thought the man they showed them killing to create them was meant to show the creation of the night king? 
    Red ones are better. 
    The battle of winterfell is going to be epic I think.

They've shown they have a way of doing these set pieces that is actually dramatic and entertaining. 

When you see a big fight in a Marvel movie it's just all progressively bigger punches and buildings falling over with no real tension. 
    The Battle of the Bastards was epic - OTT yes but edge of seat stuff (imo) - same with the fight at the baggage train (apart from Bronn and Jamie finding the mariana trench 2 feet into a stream) and the blackwater (although that one was vastly more exciting in the book,  oddly) 

As for where the story will go - he's shown he could take it absolutely ANYWHERE and I like that. 

The only thing I think they've deliberately set up is the tension between Jon and Danaerys when she finds out her claim should cede to his - she won't and there will be tears before bedtime. And maybe by then his dragon will be truly his. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jon and Dany to get married and have a child with an extra toe, learning difficulties and above average banjo skills. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    boogieman said:
    The Tv series is actually pretty faithful a lot of the time - it just gets rid of the shit bits. And halfway through, where it did re-work or deviate from the books (at about the point the books started to jump the shark) I think the TV series improved the story; We managed to avoid an entire episode of Brienne going for a walk and sharing a meal with some travellers, for example.
    Ah well, I’ll admit I haven’t read the books. My wife has, including the latest one which she reckoned was really hard going: lots of Tolkienesque rambling back-history and endless lists of X begat Y, etc etc  

I imagine it would’ve been tempting for the tv producers to tie up all the loose ends and have obviously set-up story lines rolling out to happy endings, but I really hope they stick to the spirit of the earlier series and keep the unpredictability going. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    I think whatever ending we get, the internet will probably be unhappy to a greater or lesser extent.

It will probably be the broad stroaks of what George plans to write into his books, but it doesn't matter because the 7th book will likely never be published.  George will prevaricate unto the grave and I wouldn't bet on book six getting over the line (he clearly hasn't finished it) let alone book seven.

Ironically, that means you would within a year get BOTH published, finished by a jobbing writer, but the finish to the show is likely the only "official" ending you will see.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    I've pretty much given up on the books being finished in George's lifetime, job for a posthumous editor I think

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I thought GRRM had agreed a general story arc with the tv producers of where things would end up? 
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Jon Snow wakes up in Winterfell and realises it was all a dream.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4703
    Jon will die. Danny becomes a lesbian as does Cercie, and they rule as terrible Queens
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    Cirrus said:
    boogieman said:
    Ah well, I’ll admit I haven’t read the books. My wife has, including the latest one which she reckoned was really hard going: lots of Tolkienesque rambling back-history and endless lists of X begat Y, etc etc  

I imagine it would’ve been tempting for the tv producers to tie up all the loose ends and have obviously set-up story lines rolling out to happy endings, but I really hope they stick to the spirit of the earlier series and keep the unpredictability going. 
    I made the mistake of thinking the latest book was a
    Novel in the series - it's actually a 'history' book - I stopped reading when I realised 
    Red ones are better. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    They will all die, eventually.
    TimmyO said:
    boogieman said:
    Cirrus said:
    boogieman said:

I made the mistake of thinking the latest book was a
    Novel in the series - it's actually a 'history' book - I stopped reading when I realised 
    It makes you wonder how much investment he has in pushing the series on when he gets sidetracked for years with pointless backstories. Don’t blame you for ditching it. My missus struggled through the whole thing... it does pick up for a while in the middle of the book apparently. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    octatonic said:
    They will all die, eventually.
    Valar morghulis :skull: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    I think I read somewhere that the GoT TV writers had agreed to do a prequel series, but I could be wrong. I also read that the battle of Winterfell promises to be the longest and best battle scene yet.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101
    edited April 2019
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4388
    Snap said:
    I think I read somewhere that the GoT TV writers had agreed to do a prequel series, but I could be wrong. I also read that the battle of Winterfell promises to be the longest and best battle scene yet.
    They’ve commissioned 3 or 4 pilots for new series that will be linked to GoT I think. 

I think 3 are prequels although I read there was a successor as well. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer