Guitar & Bass

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11499
    @scrumhalf a lot of people are interested in PRS - even on here.  There are 29 replies to the McCarty return thread in less than 24 hours.

You don't want it full of PRS every month, but it would also be wrong never to feature PRS.  These days they aren't just an unobtainable dream for most of us either.  With the SE and S2 ranges it's arguable you can get a quality guitar cheaper from PRS than you can from Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    This latest issue of G&B has an article in it about some reader's pedal board.....
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    edited June 2015
    I think @chrisv has a great opportunity here.

G & B has for many years been more 'interesting' than Guitarist - more 'how to' articles, interviews with less less-known players, private collections, etc.

What it lacks is the very sharp presentation of Guitarist (the photo on the front cover of this month's edition of B B King is exceptional). If some of that found its way into G & B, it would be better for it.

The idea that a credible magazine could ignore America's third largest maker of electric guitars is frankly absurd. I 'get' that Guitarist is seen to focus on PRS too much - but at nearly £6.00 a pop, they probably deliberately aim at wealthier buyers. Even for readers who can't afford one, surely they'd at least like to know what's going on in the world of guitars? There are plenty of car magazines which advise you how to spend £12,000 on a small family car, whilst reviewing the latest Porsche a few pages later. I'll never own one - but I'm still interested in reading about them, as I like cars.

The ideal magazine for me would be a synthesis of the best of both G & B and Guitarist. I wish Chris well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16324
    chrisv said:
    Looking forward to the article on Dave Hill's guitar. He's a governor of where I went to primary school y'know.
    Steve Clarke's Dave Hill guitar piece was in the issue that's just gone off sale I'm afraid, but you can read it here: http://www.guitar-bass.net/diy/dave-hills-sam-li-custom-guitar-workshop/

silly me! I shall follow the link though, thank you :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Thanks @richardhomer :-)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24764
    Please remember that Basses do not start and end with Fender. 

There are many great builders out there that hardly get a look in. From the excellent budget Sandberg Electra line through to Marleaux / Fodera etc at the other end.

Sandberg's brand new models (out this summer) have moved away from Fender clones and are (apparently) going to be much lighter and better balanced.

You can get a hand made Marleaux starting at about the same price as a Fender American Jazz Deluxe or a EBMM Stingray.

Would be great to see some lesser spotted makes on occasion.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23524
    edited June 2015

The idea that a credible magazine could ignore America's third largest maker of electric guitars is frankly absurd. I 'get' that Guitarist is seen to focus on PRS too much - but at nearly £6.00 a pop, they probably deliberately aim at wealthier buyers. Even for readers who can't afford one, surely they'd at least like to know what's going on in the world of guitars? There are plenty of car magazines which advise you how to spend £12,000 on a small family car, whilst reviewing the latest Porsche a few pages later. I'll never own one - but I'm still interested in reading about them, as I like cars.

G&B (or TGM as it was then) did feature PRS quite a lot in the early days, but Dave Burrluck took the PRS coverage with him when he went to Guitarist.  

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I totally agree with @fretmeister even though Fender invented the electric bass, their have been numerous makes who have taken it further, status and warwick are truly brilliant. They're not popular at the mo, so that means great prices for any bassist not afraid to go for something different.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31050
    Utterly outstanding this month

The feature on page 22 is jaw droppingly good.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11499
    I think I'm going to buy it this month.  I cancelled my previous subscription last year.  Maybe I can get another free gift if I subscribe again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    edited June 2015
    Has the subscription offer of the Blackstar Fly ended? @chrisv
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    @MrSwanson sadly yes, it was incredibly popular for obvious reasons. Three issues for £3 is the current offer. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3686
    Philly_Q said:

G&B (or TGM as it was then) did feature PRS quite a lot in the early days, but Dave Burrluck took the PRS coverage with him when he went to Guitarist.  

I used to enjoy the old TGM.
    Funnily enough I was looking through an old Oct '98 issue this morning featuring Placebo!

Not seen the new version but may venture a look.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2388
    Dave_Mc said:
    Looking forward to the article on Dave Hill's guitar. He's a governor of where I went to primary school y'know.
    You mean one of the US states?

he's just a school governor in Wolverhampton rather than a state one.
    yeah that's what i figured, I just thought it was funny as the way you worded it it sounded like you meant a US state or similar :D
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    EricTheWeary;657633" said:
    I sincerely hope @erictheweary that Mr Hill supervises the music curriculum and has nothing whatever to do with spelling.

Cuz Slade day know ow t'spell in thee owd dayzzz, did they? ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dickieguitardickieguitar Frets: 405

martinw said:
    G & B now seems to have morphed in Guitarist.....but with better content it has to be said, including one of our own.
    "Better content" is the most important thing, after all. 

And to be fair, if you read the review, that's a PRS that's trying very hard not to be a PRS.

Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I took up the subscription offer with the free Blackstar amp. Not sure when that will arrive - hopefully they haven't run out!

Great mag though, and a great read. First time I've read G&B really. You just need some YouTube content now. Get Darren from Godsticks on the case!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    Hmmm. Not bought a guitar mag for many years but interviews with Little Barrie and Luther Dickinson might just tempt me....

Although they're probably just a paragraph and a stock press photo.
    @Basher the Barrie interview is around 2000 words (accompanied by our own shoot down at their studio in Wood Green) while Luther is a one-pager discussing his favourite records.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    @chrisv That'll do for me!

Fantastic players the pair of 'em and nice to see people like this given some exposure.
    Thanks for the information - appreciate it.