Guitar & Bass

What's Hot

Comments

• xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    @Basher yeah they are both great players. Any other artist requests? We can but try...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @mellowsun :-)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23526
    I've been buying TGM/G&B since the first issue and haven't missed one yet.  Can I have some free gifts too?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Philly_Q there's always the Letter Of The Month prize ;-)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Must get it if just for the pedalboard feature.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    @chrisv You'll probably get bombarded by requests but for me here are some players I like who I don't see very much of (if at all) in the mags...

British:

Eddie Roberts - Killer jazz/funk player from The New Mastersounds. Currently doing really well in the USA in the jam band scene.

Matt Deighton. Most famous for brief stint as Noel in Oasis. Great player with many great solo albums. Equally good on 'lectric and 'coustic. Just recorded an lp with some other A-list session-types so has product to promote and deserves a mention. http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/thefamilysilver

USA:

Neal Casal - another jam band sort of bloke - currently bashing out great stuff with the Chris Robinson Brotherhood but has some cracking solo albums to his name. Great photographer too.

Jonathan Wilson - Thought his last tour was amazing - really intense playing from a super-tight band. Great songwriter in the fine Topanga Canyon music scene. Also makes his own (S&T type) guitars and has sold them for quite a few bob in the past so would make an interesting interviewee for a guitar mag IMO.

I could go on but I'll leave it with this one....

Chris Vinnicombe! Not wanting to seem like some kind of monumental jacksie licker but I always liked the guitarist long term tests feature and was always interested in the gear that people who get to try tons of killer stuff actually play themselves. Not suggesting that you do a cover feature but I'd be interested in your thoughts about what you use and why. You're a really tasteful player and I've enjoyed your demos for Guitarist very much.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 922
    chrisv said:
    @Basher yeah they are both great players. Any other artist requests? We can but try...
    Simon Mcbride superb player.

chrisv said:

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16324
    chrisv;658930" said:
    +1 on the New Mastersounds.

Never seen a guitar mag interview with Junior Marvin. Part of the British blues scene, turned down Stevie Wonder, worked live and on record with Bob Marley, had Roger Mayer work on his guitars and pedals in the 70's, list of sessions include Stevie Winwood and many, many reggae bands as well as a solo artist and playing in Wailers revivals. Would be great to see a reggae guitarist interview and Junior played on some worldwide hits so this is not about someone who's work is obscure.

Fairly sure he isn't based in the UK any more so there might be some journalist's expenses involved...

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    My copy just landed yesterday, I've read the thing from cover to cover..... It's a very interesting read. I like the more geeky side of things specifically the strat breakdown. I also like the fact that PRS's vela is in the mag, the comprehensive review has got me gassing HARD. @chrisv looks like you are out of the blocks at breakneck speed, congrats.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    edited June 2015
    Thanks @thorpy6, much appreciated :-)

@Basher I actually did quite a lengthy interview with Jonathan Wilson for Guitarist a couple of years ago. We shot him at the Thekla in Bristol. A nice fella, extremely talented and the owner of some very sexy equipment indeed. I'll definitely do something with him in G&B at the next available juncture. Thanks for the very kind words, btw! [insert blushing smiley here] I always really enjoyed doing those demos and tended to approach them with no pre-conceived musical ideas planned out at all, letting the vibe of the gear itself provide the inspiration and direction. Over the last few years my own personal gear choices tend to have been motivated in part by the desire to have an ultra-compact set up that can fit on the the passenger seat of a car and be carried in and out of a venue in one go! And also an unhealthy love for Bigsbys, valve tremolo, spring reverb and drive tones that sound like the amp is about to explode. Me aside, I shall make a note of your other suggestions :-)

By the way, if any of you want to be in with a chance to win a free digital subscription to G&B, you should probably head here right now and check out the most recent post: http://www.facebook.com/GuitarandBassMagazineUK  

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27844
    Well, on the basis of the chatter here, I stopped off at WHS this morning, and bought the mag.

So the revenue spike at Anthem Publishing this month is down to you guys ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27844
    Well, on the basis of the chatter here, I stopped off at WHS this morning, and bought the mag.

So the revenue spike at Anthem Publishing this month is down to you guys ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31053
    thorpy6 said:
    My copy just landed yesterday, I've read the thing from cover to cover..... It's a very interesting read. I like the more geeky side of things specifically the strat breakdown. I also like the fact that PRS's vela is in the mag, the comprehensive review has got me gassing HARD. @chrisv looks like you are out of the blocks at breakneck speed, congrats.
    @thorpy6

Did you read page 22?!!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16324
    Bought it at lunchtime. Some kind of printing error on page 22 so can't read that..

Nah, if that was me James I'd be made up for the next ten years :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    @chrisv, I picked up a copy at Sainsbury's this lunchtime.

Not done anything other than flick through it so far - but WOW it looks better. A massive improvement.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    thorpy6 said:
    @thorpy6

Did you read page 22?!!

I did, strange though it seemed to be an article about a gentleman who likes to keep breeze blocks in his guitar room :)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Got mine at lunch time too. I used to subscribe to G&B for years and might do so again.
    Thanks all.

We've got big plans for the title, both in print and digitally, over the coming months but I feel like the new issue is a big step in the right direction. And we're already half way through the next one :-)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3687
    I've told my Mrs to pick me up a copy tomorrow to see what all the fuss is about.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 444
    Just picked up a copy from Sainsbury's Watford. I'll let you know what I think ;)