Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Apple Fanboyz: iPad Mini vs iPad

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
edited October 2013 in Off Topic

As Christmas is approaching its time for me and Mrs D to decide what present to get, we normally don't bother getting each other much but instead pool our monies to get a good joint present. This year I think I'm going to aim for an iPad or iPad mini, mainly so that I can use the Garageband more easily than I can on my phone.

Are there any other advantages to the iPad over the iPad mini other than the screen size? I guess the mini is cheaper but I've not really looked into it yet as I only thought of it 5mins ago.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34026
    iPad Air is going to be stonkingly fast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Speaking as someone who's just made the switch from iPad, to iPad mini.... no, not really!

I picked up a 3rd-gen one about 18 months ago and used it constantly, I barely touched my PC* after getting it so it was very worth the money. I was given an iPad mini last week by my uni though and I must say it is a much better experience overall - mainly due to the lower weight though to be fair. I haven't noticed any issues with the smaller screen-size for uni work/app control yet either as everything is scaled anyway so you haven't really lost anything on non-retina apps.

The one thing I miss is the Retina screen, so if I were to go out and buy one now it would most definitely be the new Mini Retina for me. :)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123

have you got varifocals? If not big screens are a good idea

anyway, I've had all 3 ipads, I have liked them, but resent being treated like I'm 10.  I'd think about android next time, certainly got excellent deals for my kids last Christmas, ipads are looking pricey - depends what you want though. I used my ipad a lot when I worked away. Now I just use my Galaxy note "Phablet" and the ipad sits at home. You can do a lot more with a laptop if it will just stay at home, but it's dull compared to an ipad

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    There are actually 4 
    Mini, Mini Retina, iPad 2 and iPad Air. 

I'd get the Mini Retina or Air if you are feeling flush. 

The size is just about what screen size you are comfortable with. 
  • anyway, I've had all 3 ipads
    Erm, there's been 5 of them... :D
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8575
    edited October 2013
     I was given an iPad mini last week by my uni though

They give out ipads at Uni these days? Blimey times have changed, and I'm not that old.

In answer to the original question, you need both unfortunately. A full size one for yourself, and a mini for the wife to use (else she will either resent you spending time on yours or bug you constantly to use it herself), the mini is also to take away on holiday / weekends.

I'm not even joking with the above, every couple I know (most recently my retired parent-in-laws) who have made the tentative step to an ipad now have grown to two very quickly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27897
    dindude said:
     I was given an iPad mini last week by my uni though

They give out ipads at Uni these days? Blimey times have changed, and I'm not that old.

In answer to the original question, you need both unfortunately. A full size one for yourself, and a mini for the wife to use (else she will either resent you spending time on yours or bug you constantly to use it herself), the mini is also to take away on holiday / weekends.

I'm not even joking with the above, every couple I know (most recently my retired parent-in-laws) who have made the tentative step to an ipad now have grown to two very quickly.

As an iPad widower, I wholehearted agree with this sentiment. Hence my wanting a Mini (I think)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    Indeed I know more than one person who has brought an iPad home, their wife (who had previously declared them stupid and a waste of time) says "can I have a look" and then they don't see it again for 6 months. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    So is my plan to buy my wife one for Xmas and then steal it for myself doomed to fail?
    tFB Trader
    So is my plan to buy my wife one for Xmas and then steal it for myself doomed to fail?
    You got no chance. 

I bought my wife a Nexus 7 with that goal and I've used in over the last year for a total of about 10 minutes. 
    We bought our ipad3 as a nominally shared thing. I use it about once a week..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    Indeed I know more than one person who has brought an iPad home, their wife (who had previously declared them stupid and a waste of time) says "can I have a look" and then they don't see it her again for 6 months. 
    Typo corrected.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4079
    I got my wife an iPad Mini, it's great and I think the screen is big enough, but I haven't had much of a look in.  If I went and installed Garageband on it, that would back up her suspicions that I bought it for her so I could use it.  That is not even true, I bought it for her so she wouldn't waste my Macbook's capabilities looking at shoes.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixote;64651" said:
    Indeed I know more than one person who has brought an iPad home, their wife (who had previously declared them stupid and a waste of time) says "can I have a look" and then they don't see it again for 6 months. 
    I'm about 2 weeks into this process... :)

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    That is not even true, I bought it for her so she wouldn't waste my Macbook's capabilities looking at shoes.

Well put! I have only used am ipad 2, so I am a bit behind. If I was going out to buy a replacement I would go for the latest model with the largest screen. The size/weight difference being so close between the two models, I can't see how the mini would be considered tbh.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34026
    monquixote;64651" said:
    I'm about 2 weeks into this process... :)

Buy 2 then.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Well boyz I've seemingly pulled off the impossible. Mrs.D is now under the impression that we need an iPad, so on xmas morning we WILL be unwrapping one. I don't want to brag but I played I blinder, game of the century it was.

Anyhoo now all that is needed is to find £500 to pay for it, and to fabricate a story about how they must have accidently sent an iPad Air inplace of the iPad2 that I'd ordered.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Tesco are doing an iPad 2 for £215 of Clubcard vouchers if you have them. I was thinking of doing a WTB: £175 worth of Clubcard vouchers thread.

Also various £20 and £30 offer codes off their standard price iPads too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ipad2s are kinda poo. The retina ones are awesome. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    £215 is a pretty decent price though.