Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Apple Fanboyz: iPad Mini vs iPad

What's Hot

Comments

• I never understand the complaints of struggling to get stuff onto an iPad. I put stuff from my pc in a Dropbox folder, open the Dropbox app on my iPad, click the program I want it to open in. Sorted, I've not plugged my iPad into my pc for about a year.
    its not that its a struggle its just not as convenient as other systems.. pdfs, music, printing all a faff compared.
    Drop box is limited by your upstream network speed, also have you tried putting a film on an ipad yet? Unless you bought it from the apple store good luck with that.

Android is starting to get worse with some model phones too but at least you can root it and fix things.

Basically if I plug a tablet into my PC i want to see the filesystem and put stuff exactly where i want it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dropbox isn't an issue for me, I have all my ebooks/photos/comics on their anyway. 

I watch tv shows and films on my iPad via Plex, and sync with PlexSync, works fine.

I see your point about the filesystem etc, I used to be a nerd so I get that aspect, but I just do things how "they" want me to do them and it works fine. It might not be 100% what I want all the time, but it works fine, even if it is an extra step sometimes.

I really saw the benefit in retina in the iPhone 4, as I had an iPod Touch at the same time, which I found unusable after I'd seen the retina iPhone 4. My missus has an iPad 3, and I just don't see the retina screen as being worth the upgrade as long as my 2 works fine. I guess it's to do with the distance you use it at/what you use it for, an iPad 2 is still a higher pixel density than my laptop after all.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4267
    edited November 2013

IPad Air odered this morning, with an additional smartcase and SD Card reader.

God I feel sick now, you should see the state of my bank account

I take it you know that the SD card reader only works with photos, right? You can't use it as expandable storage if that's what you were thinking...?
  • The air is very nice. Had a go on one yesterday and it felt even lighter and thinner than I was expecting it to.

Think I'm going to pass on buying one though. The only advantage for me is having something nice to use in the living room. I'd just be spending money to facilitate laziness.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    I'd just be spending money to facilitate laziness.
    It's a good excuse though. Most of the things ever invented by mankind are to facilitate laziness in some form or another.

Wheel. iPad Air. No difference really, just separated by a few hundred thousand labour-saving advancements.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1115
    I love my Air, it's definitely a good upgrade from my ipad 3.

The difference in weight and feel is quite marked, greater than the paper specs would suggest.

• guitargeek62;72916" said:
    Col_Decker said:

IPad Air odered this morning, with an additional smartcase and SD Card reader. God I feel sick now, you should see the state of my bank account

I take it you know that the SD card reader only works with photos, right? You can't use it as expandable storage if that's what you were thinking...?
    Aye lad, just want it for getting pics from the digi camera

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34026
    I went to the Church of Apple earlier today and tried the Air.
    If I had a rev 3 or 4 iPad I'd be over the moon with it.

Having a 1st gen Mini though it didn't do it for me.
    I prefer the lighter and smaller form factor.
    I'll probably get a Mini Retina when they are out later this month, mainly for the faster processor, rather than the retina screen though.
  • iPad Air arrived at chez Deck yesterday. As somebody who's never eveen held an iPad before I can say that its jolly nice. A £35 trip to the App Store to get Cubasis soon followed.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24909
    Is there a proper release date for the Mini Retina yet?

The missus is giving strong xmas hints!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• I want a Mini Retina too, or a cheap second-hand Mini when the Retina comes out.
    Is there a proper release date for the Mini Retina yet?

The missus is giving strong xmas hints!
    November, sometime.
    Supply with be VERY tight so don't count on getting one before January.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1115
    iPad mini retina is now on the apple store for ordering.

if the rumours are to be believed, these will be in short supply!
    wibble said:

Yup, saw that.
    I'm not going to try to get one for a while- I want to see how the screen burn-in issue with the Sarp displays pans out.
    They had very low yields and might be switching back to Samsung.
  • I'm fairly sure I want a retina mini but want to get my hands on it to AB with the Air first. I can type properly on a full-fat iPad so don't want to lose that with the mini. But equally I want something light enough to read ebooks with one hand easily.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Going to get one for the missus xmas prezzie I think.

I have to say though - the Ipad Air with all the memory and 3G options is getting very close to the price of a MacBook Air.

Maybe close enough for me to consider the Macbook rather than upgrade my iPad2

octatonic said:
    wibble said:

Yup, saw that.
    I'm not going to try to get one for a while- I want to see how the screen burn-in issue with the Sarp displays pans out.
    They had very low yields and might be switching back to Samsung.

Sharp aren't making all of them though, are they? I read somewhere that they are making less than 40% of the screens and that many of them are not being used as they don't meet Retina specs.

So hopefully that means the chances of getting a Sharp screen one is pretty low

• Going to get one for the missus xmas prezzie I think.

I have to say though - the Ipad Air with all the memory and 3G options is getting very close to the price of a MacBook Air.

I don't see the point of the 3G option on them - I just use my phone as a hotspot on the rare instance that I'd need it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Going to get one for the missus xmas prezzie I think.

I don't see the point of the 3G option on them - I just use my phone as a hotspot on the rare instance that I'd need it! 

Me too, but I suppose the option is there for work provided iPads being separate from a personal phone.

iPad Mini Retina in the house!!!

Alas it's the wife's xmas prezzie so I can't open it and have a play with it.

Bah.