Gibson LPs with THAT logo selling well?

What's Hot
ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
Er, no. So PMT has a competion. Buy a guitar with THAT logo, write a begging letter to Gibson, and Gibson will reimburse 1 in 10 of the begging letter writers with the full cost of the guitar.

In other words, Gibson has resorted to GIVING them away!

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    Seems that a few of the majors are doing it.  GuitarGuitar put up a facebook post yesterday which received the usual 2015 abuse.  I saw a facebook post from one of the others over the weekend that talked about it too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    So you have a 90% chance of not getting your money back…

Alternatively, buy a second hand Gibson, and have a 100% chance of spending less in the first place for something without the hideous logo.

Or if you want the wide neck, wait six months, buy a 2015 for half price and have the headstock refinished.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Its a Gibson promotion so they will all be doing it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    I really don't get the 2015 hate, either the guitar works for you or doesn't who cares about a bit of scrawl on the headstock, I don't think it looks that bad anyway.

However given that people seem to think the 2015 is the guitar version of the Antichrist, I think @ICBM makes some good points. Wait and buy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited June 2015
    Here are the details from Gibson:

Celebrate the legacy of Les Paul for a 1 in 10 chance to have your new 2015 Gibson USA guitar for free.
    • Buy a new Gibson USA 2015 Les Paul 100 from a Gibson authorized Dealer on the 9th of June 2015
    • Write a short essay on why you love your new 2015 Gibson USA Les Paul 100 guitar and submit it in the form below before the 30th of June 2015
    • All new Gibson USA guitars with the Les Paul 100 signature on the headstock are eligible
    • The top 10% best-rated essays will be declared winners and will have the cost of their new 2015 Gibson USA Les Paul 100th guitar fully reimbursed

------------------------------------

I'm particularly intrigued that it's a one day only competition - although it runs from the 9th of June to the 30th, you MUST buy your guitar on the 9th of June.  You can't just buy any Gibson guitar on that day, it MUST be a 2015 with that logo on the headstock, and they want gushing reviews on how wonderful it is.

It does smack of desperation for positive reviews.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

It does smack of desperation for positive reviews.

Certainly not, it's purely a celebration of what would have been Les Paul's 100th birthday ;-)
    edited June 2015
    So basically you need to write an essay along the lines of:

visually the 2015 LP is stunning, I am particularly enamored with the celebration of history on the headstock with addition of Les Paul's own signature. What a great way to celebrate this wonderful man. Then there is the new tuning system, this is particularly great as I play in may different altered turnings and with the touch of a button I am there. No more faffing about having to rely on my cloth ears. then there is the play-ability, the improvements to the neck and the zero fret adjustable nut make this the best playing and feeling guitar I have ever had. Thank you Gibson for updating a classic design in such a wonderful way with modern, forward thinking features.

Of course, what you should do here is a buy a 2015 guitar today, with a 30 day money back option and then send it back if you don't win...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    So basically you need to write an essay along the lines of:

visually the 2015 LP is stunning, I am particularly enamored with the celebration of history on the headstock with addition of Les Paul's own signature. What a great way to celebrate this wonderful man. Then there is the new tuning system, this is particularly great as I play in may different altered turnings and with the touch of a button I am there. No more faffing about having to rely on my cloth ears. then there is the play-ability, the improvements to the neck and the zero fret adjustable nut make this the best playing and feeling guitar I have ever had. Thank you Gibson for updating a classic design in such a wonderful way with modern, forward thinking features.

Just what Henry is after.
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Can I copy your letter.
    I think its a winner.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I wonder whose cock is on the block for the 9th June? Spot the Gibson marketing director with the wee-stained trousers on the day :)

Of course, what you should do here is a buy a 2015 guitar today, with a 30 day money back option and then send it back if you don't win...
    Winners aren't notified until the 27th July
    edited June 2015

Winners aren't notified until the 27th July
    Damn! Clearly they are not as stupid as I thought :)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    On the contrary, Gibson ARE stupid. Successful suppliers seek and obtain cusomer feedback and act on it. Gibson got lots of loud and clear feedback and arrogantly thought "No, loyal customers, we know better than you!" Stupidity and arrogance - the two most common people factors in companies that get into difficulties after being previously successful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I really don't get the 2015 hate, either the guitar works for you or doesn't who cares about a bit of scrawl on the headstock, I don't think it looks that bad anyway.
    I think it's more a case of after the eyesore that was the 2014, 12th fret, 120th anniversary logo, Gibson then go with an equally intrusive logo/design, this time, on the iconic headstock. Robot tuners become mandatory across the range, even on a guitar called (Les Paul) 'Traditional'.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Rox said:

• All new Gibson USA guitars with the Les Paul 100 signature on the headstock are eligible
    This is an admission, if ever i saw one.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Babones;663467" said:
    Rox said:

All new Gibson USA guitars with the Les Paul 100 signature on the headstock are eligible

This is an admission, if ever i saw one.
    Or it's just becaus it'd be Les Paul's birthday today, and they carry the 100 on the scrawl I mean Sig :D

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Can I write a short essay on why Henry Jusciewitz is a moron & has pushed me away from the Gibson brand & deeper into the arms of PRS?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KuroblackKuroblack Frets: 78
    Chalky said:
    Er, no. So PMT has a competion. Buy a guitar with THAT logo, write a begging letter to Gibson, and Gibson will reimburse 1 in 10 of the begging letter writers with the full cost of the guitar.

In other words, Gibson has resorted to GIVING them away!

Not really giving them away, although it's the oddest promotion I've ever seen. I just can't see it generating any additional sales - does that means sales are roughly according to plan...?

If it were about shifting stock I would have thought a blanket reduction would have been better - perhaps to 2014 RRP?

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I thought it was quite a clever promotion. They are basically from their end giving 10% off but it's much more eye catching than that.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited June 2015
    I think Coda are offering 15% off at the moment.

I must admit a second hand standard or R8 is a much more appealing prospect.

Edit: Doh that is in Epiphones