Gibson LPs with THAT logo selling well?

What's Hot

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Sassafras said:
    Original Coca-Cola actually contained real Cocaine and when they stopped using it in, I think the late 50s, no-one complained about that. Oh, hang on...
    Well, it was 1903 actually...  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    The Coca Cola reference was a coincidence. But now you mention it . I do vaguely remember it ) I think someone else mentioned on either this or another forum, that much of the changes to the 2015 make it more efficient to assemble & therefore cheaper to build. But competition aside, there's no chance of me wanting one any time soon. But I will try one out myself this weekend. Just to see if my instinct is wrong & the 2015 is indeed much underrated.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    jeztone2 said:
    The Coca Cola reference was a coincidence.
    Remarkably good guess then!

New Coke is an object lesson in corporate fuck-ups, changing something that didn't need to be changed and almost destroying a brand as a result.

What's less well-known is that when Coca-Cola reverted to the old formula, they didn't quite - they stuck with the new cheaper corn-syrup sugar they'd used for New Coke instead of the original and more expensive cane sugar in the old Coke. But most people were so relieved to get something like the original taste back that they didn't notice… would they have done if Coke had simply switched to corn-syrup?

So was it a coincidence they took advantage of, or an unpopular change - which might have caused them real problems if it had been more widely noticed - cleverly disguised by an even more unpopular one which they could then undo?

(Coincidence supposedly, not conspiracy. They apparently genuinely believed they needed a new taste.)

So to cut a long story short, what long-term cost-saving change can we expect from Gibson, disguised by a return to the "proper" spec that everyone wants?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:

So to cut a long story short, what long-term cost-saving change can we expect from Gibson, disguised by a return to the "proper" spec that everyone wants?
    3 words: Made In Japan.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    edited June 2015
    Japanese wages probably aren't far off US wages.  If they are going to go offshore then it's more likely to be China.

The Chinese can make very good guitars.  I've got one of these and it's excellent:

From a marketing point of view it would be suicide though - unless the US guitars get such a dreadful reputation that people see offshore as a step up.

They could have an enlarged "Custom Shop" and make bigger margins on US made guitars.
    3 words: Made In China.
    Possibly closer…

Japan is quite an expensive place to make stuff these days. If they were going to move out of the USA and hence piss off some of their customer base anyway, it would make sense to go the whole way and save as much money as possible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:

Probably a different Far East country. Henry's looking at a Korea change.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    Kuroblack said:

GuitarZero said: When I bought my 2014 the store manager was blatantly slagging the 2015s off (this was after I had made my decision to pass on a 2015).  He said he was having major problems shifting them, especially since there were a lot of 2014s still left to buy.  Most people were walking out with last years models.
    So, do we think that's because:

a) The 2015 LP is an absolute abomination, not fit to bear the name and fit solely for the wood burner or;
    b) It was at the time around £700 more expensive (they were £2499 and £1799 respectively in Dawsons in January this year)

Call me cynical, but I'm going with b)  :)

I think it's probably a combination of both.  They put features on that the vast majority of people didn't want, then charged a premium for it.
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:

I wouldn't be averse to a MiJ Gibson factory.  We know the quality they can produce over there.  I have a feeling some of our American cousins would hit the roof though.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Nah - Gibson has played too much to the "Made in the good ole US of A" part of the American psyche for too long to move its core product manufacture overseas. Epiphone covers that angle.
    FWIW I'd be totally up for a Japanese Gibson if it had a nitro finish. 
    If this happens, I'm intrigued as to how will they will train the highly skilled Japanese workers to be slapdash and laissez faire in the fit, finish and QC department.

I'm thinking pre-work Sake binges and consistent eroding of morale.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    FWIW I'd be totally up for a Japanese Gibson if it had a nitro finish. 
    I'd be totally up for any far-east-made Gibson if it was really well made, with a polyurethane or very thin polyester finish (I'm not a fan of nitro, sorry) and a scarfed or otherwise properly reinforced headstock.

I do wonder if a jointed headstock of some sort may be next - it must waste wood to make them one-piece like they do, even with 'nested' cutting from the blanks (which I would hope they do). It doesn't seem to have affected Taylor's reputation, although I'm not a fan of the way they do them either.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Chalky;665746" said:
    Nah - Gibson has played too much to the "Made in the good ole US of A" part of the American psyche for too long to move its core product manufacture overseas. Epiphone covers that angle.
    I think that notion of 'must be US made' holds true for many baby boomer types still.

For the rest of the world market though -even for a lot in the US- I doubt it's a big issue.

Look at Harley Davidson. Another 'all American' brand, but one which in order to sustain itself doesn't mind making some bikes abroad when necessary.

Gibson should do like Fender do with Mexico IMO, and make quality models without the Epi differentiation offshore.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    stickyfiddle;665722" said:
    ICBM said:

jeztone2 said:

Would see the sales drop in a massive way 'merica though. They will revert to the usual les Paul's for '16 and all will be forgotten. The one thing that has improved in 2015 is the QC if they carry that in to next year with more traditional guitars they're laughing.

They'd get over it, they whined about Gretsch initially but they are still buying them.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Three things id give credit to Henry for;

Still keeping Gibson MIA, not any easy thing to do with all the competition.
    Giving lower priced options despite being MIA.
    Keeping a nitro finish despite the two above.

Too much generic far eastern tat out there already, not adverse to it being made outside America, but it's harder not to just become Gibson shaped objects with the same neck shape, pickups, and finish as every other £700 guitar out there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    dindude;665855" said:
    Three things id give credit to Henry for;

Still keeping Gibson MIA, not any easy thing to do with all the competition.
    Giving lower priced options despite being MIA.
    Keeping a nitro finish despite the two above.

Too much generic far eastern tat out there already, not adverse to it being made outside America, but it's harder not to just become Gibson shaped objects with the same neck shape, pickups, and finish as every other £700 guitar out there.

Good points, and something that is often over looked by the collective us is how good Gibson have got at offering cheaper guitars. The LPJ/SGJ, melody maker, studios, faded series etc have been outstanding guitars.