Never have I ever ... [owned]

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    The SG jack socket on the front is also weird
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72543
    I don't mind the jack being on the front since I always use right-angled plugs, but it's far to close to the controls and gets in the way. Actually all the controls are too close together.

I love the sound of SGs and like the look, but that and the usual neck-heavy balance really make them hard for me to play - I prefer guitars were the front strap button is between the 12th-16th frets, preferably the 12th-14th.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I use right angled jacks, too - high five!
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    I use right angled jacks, too - high five!
    I have a mixture, I choose as the mood dictates!

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I stood on a lead with it plugged in to my Epi SG (was 15 or so-it was my pride and joy!) it bent then cracked the wood....hole's covered with tape and the jack socket's now in at the side like a tele. |'d be devastated were it an expensive/vintage one. I'd never use anything other than an angled jack with an SG, 335 etc. Why they're not on the side I don't know.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Never owned a tele. Its next on my list.

For pretty much all of my life a LP was my dream guitar. Until i played one and didnt get on with it at all. The price is ridiculous for what it is as well. An absolute piss-take. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906

Never owned a:

- SG/Explorer/V

- Semi-acoustic/hollow body

- Jaguar/Jazzmaster

- PRS

- Rickenbacker

I have never even touched a PRS (not even an SE) as far as I know!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Never owned an SG - love the sound hate the look.
    Jag/Jazzmaster
    PRS - don't like the necks or headstock.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72543
    lloyd said:
    I stood on a lead with it plugged in to my Epi SG (was 15 or so-it was my pride and joy!) it bent then cracked the wood....hole's covered with tape and the jack socket's now in at the side like a tele. |'d be devastated were it an expensive/vintage one. I'd never use anything other than an angled jack with an SG, 335 etc. Why they're not on the side I don't know.
    Because it's easier and cheaper to do all the routing and drilling in one operation.

I would always use a right-angle plug with any guitar other than a Strat (and even that will work usually) or one of those Ibanezes with the stupid recessed barrel jack anyway though. Whether the jack is on the front or the side it's just a much better solution than having the cable sticking out straight, and modern right-angle plugs are much higher quality than the pancake ones of the past.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27172
    In descending order of "potentially being considered heinous"...

ES-335
    Marshall amp
    Rickenbacker
    Orange
    Locking trem
    Ibanez/Jackson/Charvell
    PRS
    or, frankly, anything particularly "boutique" except a Valvesporker, because Sporks only made about 12 of them.

I do fancy having some ridiculous double-locking rock machine at some point, but more in the Manson/Bellamy mould than the 80's superstrat thing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
    edited June 2015
    I think this threat is pointing towards someone creating a bingo card or something ... I reckon there are rights of passage for guitarists as well - a bit similar to the TopGear honing of "not being a true petrol head until you've owned an Alfa" I've owned a half stack (i.e. 4x12), but never a full stack. That's the closest I can think - it's a bit of a Rock Rating thing, more than guitarist rating ... Meh, I don't know...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    edited June 2015
    I think this threat is pointing towards someone creating a bingo card or something ... I reckon there are rights of passage for guitarists as well - a bit similar to the TopGear honing of "not being a true petrol head until you've owned an Alfa" I've owned a half stack (i.e. 4x12), but never a full stack. That's the closest I can think - it's a bit of a Rock Rating thing, more than guitarist rating ... Meh, I don't know...
    Interesting: What would rights of passage gear be:

Marshall stack & Fender Amps
    Tele, Strat, LP
    Tubescreamer and DMM?

sure there are lots of other worthy contenders but those seem pretty Iconic?
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Never owned a Tele, though not anti, in fact not anti anything just some float my boat more than others. Also depends on the sound I am looking at that moment. I now own two strats and they sound vastly different. My PRS is the most versatile guitar, the ES 336 the richest mellow sound ,the Martyn Booth (p90) a rock monster. I have a Godin Lgxsa that is beautiful, but never gelled with. So each of my harem is different. I suppose I am a guitar whore as I am faithful to none.
    On my fancy list R6, ES 175 (or other jazzer) and maybe a pointy metal thingy, nice classical ,and a banjo.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
    I'd never played a gibson into a Marshall until recently - I think that should be a mandatory experience :)

I've never played through an AC30 either, or played a rickenbacker.

Simularly, I think superstat into a marshall is another. Likewise strat, tubescreamer into fender is another.
  • Never owned a Gibson or Marshall anything.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Never owned an Explorer, V, or other non-Strat shaped guitar - other than an Epi Les Paul.

Never owned a Mesa Boogie amp. Or Fender amp. Or a dirt pedal.......

See if you can spot the little white lie............ 

:))

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    Never had a:

Strat
    Les Paul
    SG
    Offset Fender
    PRS
    Fender Amp
    Guitar with a Floyd Rose
    Gibson
    Guitar with proper P90s

I'm not really a gear head ;-)
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    ICBM said:
    lloyd said:
    Because it's easier and cheaper to do all the routing and drilling in one operation.

I would always use a right-angle plug with any guitar other than a Strat (and even that will work usually) or one of those Ibanezes with the stupid recessed barrel jack anyway though. Whether the jack is on the front or the side it's just a much better solution than having the cable sticking out straight, and modern right-angle plugs are much higher quality than the pancake ones of the past.
    Yeah it comes down to money I suppose-I only use angled jacks now, ever since that incident in fact!! You live and learn. Makes me nervous to see a straight one in anything plugged into wood-plenty do it.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• tbmtbm Frets: 582
    Never owned:
    - a Mesa
    - a PRS
    - a pointy guitar
    - a guitar with a Floyd Rose
    - a Boss Metal Zone
    - a Rickenbacker
    - a 335
    - a Squire
    - a Danalectro that wasn't great

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    I've never owned a guitar. What's it like?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.