Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    It's the Helix that only needs TS - I don't think it supports TRS expression pedals.

With the Reflex you can do it all over MIDI though, so the Helix tells the Reflex its patch number, and the Reflex sends all its expression control via MIDI CC messages.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I got these
    1mRight Angled Stereo TRS 1/4" to Straight Jack Lead - Red https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007WPI5YO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_LFqfxbQ1FYNM5
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Cabicular said:
    I got these
    1mRight Angled Stereo TRS 1/4" to Straight Jack Lead - Red https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007WPI5YO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_LFqfxbQ1FYNM5
    What pedal are you using? The Mission L6 only needs TS jacks.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Sorry those were the ones I used for the FX8
    These will do you
    Rapid Cables 1m 90deg to Straight Jack Guitar Lead Blue Cable Mono 1/4" 6.35mm Right Angle https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007WPI6A2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_g9sfxbYGGBTX5
  • So after a bit of time experimenting with 4CM I've decided to keep the Helix for now as I was pleasantly surprised with how great it sounds in this configuration.
    It really is transparent and super versatile for effects with an amp.

You may remeber I had a few issues setting it up earlier in this thread. For anyone else having problems the Send block is defaulted to "Dry Through" when selected so it was sending dry signal all the way to my amps power amp instead of splitting it cleanly within the Helix routing. 
    the amp modelling is a nice to have to save me mic int in stereo for FOH I'm basically using mine as a big FX unit
  • I think I need to really experiment with the modelling some more but I was massively impressed with it as an effects unit.

I tried it with Wah, TS, Chorus in the front and delays etc in the loop and it sounded as good as the pedals I used before, which is rare for a multi effects.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited April 2016
    I tried a helix against a DD500 I was thinking of picking up the other day and was quite disappointed with the DD500 against the helixes tape delay.
    I've never tried the 4CM with anything. I don't have a guitar amp anymore so I can't even give it a go!

Not a lot of point trying it on bass.

I've ordered the Helix specific Mission expression pedal. For my use I think that will do nicely - the Reflex seems overkill for me. Most of the time my biggest bass board only had an occasional use Power Fuzz Wah on it so I don't think I'll miss other functions.

HA HA HA!!!!

Just seen this on Facebook....

"I just don't understand why the Helix isn't true bypass"

Apparently without a hint of sarcasm or irony.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another one of my favourites is "When I use a rectifier model with a V30 cab and SM57 it sounds fizzy" or something along those lines.

Try listening to that in the real world and tell me what it sounds like...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ye gods. What next?

"When I add a tremolo block the output volume level is unstable"?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    HA HA HA!!!!

Just seen this on Facebook....

"I just don't understand why the Helix isn't true bypass"

Apparently without a hint of sarcasm or irony.

OK, in with both feet and probably about to make myself look very silly :)

If you were just using the FX models in to an amp, why should you not expect a true bypass option - The M9 can be set like this 

edited April 2016
    Not enormously silly. ;)

The Helix has a LOT of outputs, including USB, SPDIF and AES. It's also got lots of inputs including a Variax in, USB and SPDIF. How would you map the inputs to the outputs in such a manner that it'd be both useful and actually true bypass?

You could, for instance, map the guitar in to the left 1/4 out, and disable every other output. I s'pose you could simultaneously map the aux in to the right 1/4 output. You can't map anything from the Variax input nor anything to the XLR or digital outputs because that, by definition, couldn't be true bypass.

That might be useful to a very small proportion of owners, but it'd add a couple of relays and some extra software, and for an awful lot of setups it'd be completely and utterly useless - I use the Aux input and the Guitar input but the XLR and USB outputs.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Thanks for being kind ;)  Didn't think of that, I suppose if anyone was that bothered they could put the whole thing in a TB loop
    The other aspect is that it is (effect loops aside) an all-in-one sort of box. When would you want to completely bypass it? I can understand with something smaller; you might use an M13 for lots of just-in-one-track sorts of sounds, fer example, but if you're using a Helix I'd think you're using it constantly. Even if you're not using the amp modelling because you're a historical re-enactment guitarist. ;)
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    IIRC the FX8 has true bypass, but then it's a different beast to the Helix, really. Personally, I'd always use a buffer even in a pedalboard - never really got the true bypass thing.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Sporky said:
    Even if you're not using the amp modelling because you're a historical re-enactment guitarist. ;)
    Not sure whether to lol or wis?
    Sporky said:
    Even if you're not using the amp modelling because you're a historical re-enactment guitarist. ;)
    You do one, I'll do the other.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8102
    Sporky said:
    You do one, I'll do the other.
    For a moment there I had a flashback to uni nights out... 
    Red ones are better.