Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25560
    Ooo!

In a moment of obvious obviousness I set a switch to momentary and used it to increase the univibe speed like my TC Viscous Vibe.

Just a shame it's instant and doesn't ramp. That needs to be an upgrade. That would be brilliant.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I've cracked it I think
    Back from rehearsal tonight it sounds amazing
    I ran in to the Fx returns of 2 Marshals into 4x12 and had the flanger chorus and simple delay as stereo FX
    Big big sound
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    I should point out that I use the phrase "historical re-enactment guitarist" in gentle jest - I really have no objection to people being happy with a valve amp, and/or playing classic rock or pub covers. Happiness is what counts.

Though it was funny watching my last manager wince every time I called his cycling hobby "Tour de France re-enactment".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Sporky said:
    I should point out that I use the phrase "historical re-enactment guitarist" in gentle jest - I really have no objection to people being happy with a valve amp, and/or playing classic rock or pub covers. Happiness is what counts.

Though it was funny watching my last manager wince every time I called his cycling hobby "Tour de France re-enactment".
    How is the "real musician re-enactment" game treating you Sporx?? ;)
    Pretty well - I'm not sure I'm at all convincing yet though.
    I have decided.

I'm going to off load most of my pedals. The Helix is so damn good.

I'll keep a few difficult to replace ones and my bass board will never be disassembled because it is perfect, but the endless 'close to a tubescreamer' types, the delays, the smeg knows what else will go.

I think I'll have 2 or 3 boards to go as well and maybe a power supply.

Now the hassle of finding them all begins!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Liberating, innit?

I feel a mug to have gone to pedals in the first place - I was always happiest and most productive with a good multi. Boss ME-5, then ART SGX2000 Express, then VG-88 - all marvellous. Pedals? Didn't record anything. Helix? Nothing worth sharing yet, but stuff is emerging.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3691
    edited April 2016
    As an inveterate tinkerer with technology I would really love to get down and play with a Helix or an FX-8. Intellectually I know that at volume and recorded they are indistinguishable from individual pedals. However, I love the hands-on nature of pedals and pedalboards and the almost Heath-Robinson melange of wiring, loops, relays,switchers etc.

In the same way I still like vinyl and CDs but still use digital downloads, I think there's space for them all.
    I think I've only had one non Line 6 multi before. A Digitech RP3. I really enjoyed it though, I got it when I did the bar. I sold my dual rec and cab and my sax and loads of other stuff for rent, but I got that little unit and plugged it into an ancient Marshall Bass 12 combo. 

I knew the Helix would do super clean and super brewtal well, but the thing that pushed me over was a superb slightly broken fender sound with the fuzz face model. It just sounds amazing. The fuzz model even seems to react to differences in single coils and humbucker like my favourite Fuzztool Jnr does. I've never known a model to do that properly before.

And that's before I even get to the bass madness.

The tinkering is better. Faster. More options. More... betterer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2466
    Sporky said:
    The tinkering is better. Faster. More options. More... betterer.
    MORE!!!!!!!

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

I've had loads of pedals and amps and multis and modellers. They all have their place but there really just is something magical about a cranked 100watt valve amp into a 4x12 coupled with a few delay pedals. If you don't agree with that, then you're a terrorist.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think I will eventually buy a helix though. Just not quite ready yet.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 735
    edited April 2016
    Drew_fx said: I've had loads of pedals and amps and multis and modellers. They all have their place but there really just is something magical about a cranked 100watt valve amp into a 4x12 coupled with a few delay pedals. If you don't agree with that, then you're a terrorist.

+ part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor
    Bah.

The usually good people at Studiospares have delivered the wrong patch cables.

I wanted angled on 1 end and straight on the other. I've got a whole set of straights. I'll have to send them back to swap them.

Still, my Mission expression pedal has arrived, so not all is lost.

Drew_fx;1045692" said:
    I've had loads of pedals and amps and multis and modellers. They all have their place but there really just is something magical about a cranked 100watt valve amp into a 4x12 coupled with a few delay pedals. If you don't agree with that, then you're a terrorist.
    Screw the modeller
    The FX are great
  • Drew_fx;1045692" said:
    I was shocked at how well it works with my EVH. Usually things like this are a compromise (G-System etc) but the Helix really does work a treat as an effects board.
    Just checked to make sure my expression pedal is working as it should - all fine and dandy.

Had a quick flick through some of the wah models - they really are good!

I knew this would happen - I'm thinking about a second pedal now so I can have wah and whammy at the same time without toggling the pedal use.

Cabicular said:
    Drew_fx;1045692" said:
    Screw the modeller
    The FX are great
    Yeah our 2nd guitarist has one and gets some great sounds.
    Yeah I need two minimum
    Having the wah and the volume on the same pedal isn't ideal
    I use ext 2 for volume and the onboard for wah and heel down fx dry (otherwise I make my delay really wet on the way to switching the wah on)
    I'm not convinced about the workflow though so I might stick a mini wah in for the two songs I use it