Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    It only has one relay jack for amp switching. You've got to be kidding me on man. Arghhhhh fuck sake
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's an actual disaster for me. I'm going to need a Mini Amp Gizmo or something similar now. That's an utter nuisance because I'm probably going to have to put this on a board now when I really wanted just to put it in that swanky looking backpack that's getting released

And if I'm putting it on a board I'm going to end up sticking a bunch of other pedals on it because i can't bloody help myself

Wtf Line 6!!! Couldn't you have at least made one of the exp outs a dual purpose one?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016
    Hmmm I suppose I could wire it up to the DIN so that it changes channels and overdrive. I can live without the dual master (I'm sure there's a way to balance my volume in the Helix) and the assignable loops.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Some people have successfully used the CV output to operate another switch
    From memory it requires putting a resistor inline
    (Or the voodoo labs amp switcher is another option .. I picked up one on here for 70 quid)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    The single amp control out does have two relays (one on tip, one on ring) though it sounds like you need more?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    From the Helix forum
    I'm currently using the CV output of My Helix to drive a relay input on my AMP. I measured the properties of the CV output and it delivers 0-5V at an output impedance of approx 660ohms. This is far too weak to drive a relay coil directly (which my AMP uses) so I've embedded a Field Effect Transistor (FET) into the body of the Jack plug inserted into the CV output socket of the Helix (I used a 2N7000 FET - cheap and easily obtainable).

The Gate of the FET connects to the CV output, the Drain connects to the AMP switching line, and the Source connects to ground.

I then set up a Helix footswitch (from the control centre on the Helix) to toggle the CV between 0 and 100. This drives the Gate of the FET and turns it ON and OFF (the Gate saturation voltage of the 2N7000 is around 2.1V). When on, the FET effectively shorts Drain to Source, so acts like a mechanical footswitch or relay contact, shorting the AMP switching line to ground.

Simples ;-)

Doug
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I took one look at that and bought a midi switcher ;)
    Plus you can keepmthenamp switcher In the amp rather than mount it on the board and still use the backpack (if you can find one ...)
    Cabicular;1056798" said:
    From the Helix forum
    I'm currently using the CV output of My Helix to drive a relay input on my AMP. I measured the properties of the CV output and it delivers 0-5V at an output impedance of approx 660ohms. This is far too weak to drive a relay coil directly (which my AMP uses) so I've embedded a Field Effect Transistor (FET) into the body of the Jack plug inserted into the CV output socket of the Helix (I used a 2N7000 FET - cheap and easily obtainable).

The Gate of the FET connects to the CV output, the Drain connects to the AMP switching line, and the Source connects to ground.

I then set up a Helix footswitch (from the control centre on the Helix) to toggle the CV between 0 and 100. This drives the Gate of the FET and turns it ON and OFF (the Gate saturation voltage of the 2N7000 is around 2.1V). When on, the FET effectively shorts Drain to Source, so acts like a mechanical footswitch or relay contact, shorting the AMP switching line to ground.

Simples ;-)

Doug
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular;1056841" said:
    Plus you can keepmthenamp switcher In the amp rather than mount it on the board and still use the backpack (if you can find one ...)
    Yeah had been toying with that idea but it's a head and cab... but sometimes I use a different can so I can't Velcro it in there. Which means it will have to sit on top which is just another thing to annoy me lol

I think I might actually ask a tech to look at that mod the guy done.
    Sporky;1056773" said:
    The single amp control out does have two relays (one on tip, one on ring) though it sounds like you need more?
    Yeah it's got channel switching, overdrive, 2 masters and two loops. I don't need the loops though.
    edited April 2016
    So just to check.

If I use the helix in 4cm with my amp I'll need to use a loop for the preamp and be able to take it out to stereo power amps

And if I want to run my acoustic through it im going to need to use the AUX

and I can run the XLR to front of house

All at the same time and still have three loops for pedals?

And when I get the Fryette Power Station I'll be able to load my entire Cornford amp down to line level and back into the Helix, have it run to front of house with an IR and also back to the Power Station and through a cab?

Ps. Can I do all of this and record through USB all at the same time??
    johnonguitar;1056849" said:
    [quote="Cabicular;1056841"]Plus you can keepmthenamp switcher In the amp rather than mount it on the board and still use the backpack (if you can find one ...)
    Yeah had been toying with that idea but it's a head and cab... but sometimes I use a different can so I can't Velcro it in there. Which means it will have to sit on top which is just another thing to annoy me lol

I think I might actually ask a tech to look at that mod the guy done. [/quote]

Rob at Kabl might be able to sort one out for you
    johnonguitar;1056860" said:
    So just to check.

If I use the helix in 4cm with my amp I'll need to use a loop for the preamp and be able to take it out to stereo power amps

And if I want to run my acoustic through it im going to need to use the AUX

and I can run the XLR to front of house

All at the same time and still have three loops for pedals?

And when I get the Fryette Power Station I'll be able to load my entire Cornford amp down to line level and back into the Helix, have it run to front of house with an IR and also back to the Power Station and through a cab?

Ps. Can I do all of this and record through USB all at the same time??
    You could possible use the xlr with a cable adaptor for your acoustic
    You would use a loop to feed the amp out and back in hen potentionally send out to two amps via the outs (although it's getting complicated and maybe unnecessarily so) :)
    You should be able to do all that and use the usb audio interface to record as well (although I wouldn't recommend having the editor up)
    Disclaimer I have used the Helix to record but not live however there is no technical difference .. I've just not done it

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited April 2016

Hmmm....this Helix thing is ever increasingly tempting! Lots of great sounding demos (in the hands of good players) and a few weak sounding ones in he hands of lesser players...as always with gear! Anyone know how it compares say against the HD500x ?  Is it a night n day thing or just subtle improvements in tone ? Fancy getting one but the fact they're not that available means I can keep a cool head for a while and even get to sell a few bits towards one if I take the plunge....my GT100 for a start can go in the Helix fund pot.

Should I go for one methinks it might just be a fun at home toy. Running through a pair of monitors - currently got Alesis M1 Actives (only a lil 5" woofer), but even thinking of going to some 8" monitors Eris 8's or HS8s....but might compromise n go HS7 as I've heard a few say the HS8's are a bit generous on the bass....

so you that have 'em or at least have tried 'um in the flesh, do they live up to the hype ?

I've read quite a few pages of this thread and am still doing...but at 82 pages might take a while so sorry if I've asking old Qs. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    siraxeman said:

Anyone know how it compares say against the HD500x ?  Is it a night n day thing or just subtle improvements in tone ?

I had an HD500X for a few weeks, then traded it in for a Helix. I'd used the HD500 before too.

Sound-wise the Helix is noticeably better - not massively, I thought the HD500X was perfectly decent - but there's a bit more "depth" to the amp models. The Helix doesn't have all the effects that the HD500X had, but more have been added in firmware releases and there's a good range that sound excellent.

In terms of routing and control and the interface it is night and day. The HD500X was ok, but the Helix user interface is just fantastic. Very flat, very quick, very straightforward.

Should I go for one methinks it might just be a fun at home toy. Running through a pair of monitors - currently got Alesis M1 Actives (only a lil 5" woofer), but even thinking of going to some 8" monitors Eris 8's or HS8s....but might compromise n go HS7 as I've heard a few say the HS8's are a bit generous on the bass....

I'm using my Helix with a pair of Eris E8s and I don't find the bass excessive. There's enough low end to get a bit of "thump" out of the amps (not like having a 4x12 of course, but nice) and they're quiet at low volumes and go up to silly volumes.

so you that have 'em or at least have tried 'um in the flesh, do they live up to the hype ?

I have no regrets about going for one.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    siraxeman;1056948" said:
    Hmmm....this Helix thing is ever increasingly tempting! Lots of great sounding demos (in the hands of good players) and a few weak sounding ones in he hands of lesser players...as always with gear! 
    Fuck , which one am I???
    Lol
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Thanks guys....that's good helpful info! :) Cabicular....your demo sounded good!! Relax, I always overlook the playing and just focus on the toanz. ;)

but your playing sounded good as did teh toanz. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    I got round to trying the new Matchless models. Very nice!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    They are *really* good
    Sound bugger all like a DC30 but still a very nice model