Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    I wish I could both LOL and Wisdom that.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    edited May 2016
    johnonguitar;1061118" said:
    So, apparently the backpack isn't released until at least July. Which really could mean anytime. However they are expecting the next batch of Helix at the start of June...

Which is now making me reconsider my "all in" leap of faith. Also @cabicular keeps posting awesome pictures of his rig which isn't helping at all.

So should I just wait for the backpack, which to be fair looks like it will be quality. Rely on the Helix for all of my pedal needs, including drive pedals (although I do have a Cornford MK50ii which doesn't really need them).

Or do I Pedaltrian 2 it. Which means it will be cased from the get go, I already have a choice of power supply and I can put on my favourite wah, my SP compressor and a quartert of drive pedals:- BB Preamp, Keeley Red Dirt, Hermida Zendrive and Nobels ODR-1 and know for absolute certain I won't ever feel I've short changed my options.

The PT2 is reasonably sized, the new soft cases seem better made than the old ones... But am I just over complicating something that was meant to be making my life easier?

Ps. I've heard the demos and heard everyone gush over the vibe... But is it really going to be able to replace my Vibronaut? Vibes and Wahs and Phasers have always been the effects where digital has left me a bit meeeh

Buy the mono gig bag that fits the pt-2 and a helix. Helix fits in this nicely with room for cables. Then buy a helix, live with it and decide if you still want your pedals. If so, you can pick up a board cheap somewhere to go in the gig bag and mount pedals etc. If not, sell your pedals and you've still got a really good bag for your helix.

Ps. I did this and sold all the pedals and use the mono bag for the helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Cabicular;1060176" said:
    Wait is that a PT2? I'm counting 5 slats? I thought it was only the Pro that was five slats?
    kjdowd;1061150" said:
    [quote="johnonguitar;1061118"]So, apparently the backpack isn't released until at least July. Which really could mean anytime. However they are expecting the next batch of Helix at the start of June...

Which is now making me reconsider my "all in" leap of faith. Also @cabicular keeps posting awesome pictures of his rig which isn't helping at all.

So should I just wait for the backpack, which to be fair looks like it will be quality. Rely on the Helix for all of my pedal needs, including drive pedals (although I do have a Cornford MK50ii which doesn't really need them).

Or do I Pedaltrian 2 it. Which means it will be cased from the get go, I already have a choice of power supply and I can put on my favourite wah, my SP compressor and a quartert of drive pedals:- BB Preamp, Keeley Red Dirt, Hermida Zendrive and Nobels ODR-1 and know for absolute certain I won't ever feel I've short changed my options.

The PT2 is reasonably sized, the new soft cases seem better made than the old ones... But am I just over complicating something that was meant to be making my life easier?

Ps. I've heard the demos and heard everyone gush over the vibe... But is it really going to be able to replace my Vibronaut? Vibes and Wahs and Phasers have always been the effects where digital has left me a bit meeeh

Buy the mono gig bag that fits the pt-2 and a helix. Helix fits in this nicely with room for cables. Then buy a helix, live with it and decide if you still want your pedals. If so, you can pick up a board cheap somewhere to go in the gig bag and mount pedals etc. If not, sell your pedals and you've still got a really good bag for your helix.

Ps. I did this and sold all the pedals and use the mono bag for the helix. [/quote]

That's actually an awesome idea. Great escape route possibilities
    Sporky;1061134" said:
    I'd say don't second-guess yourself. Wait until the Helix arrives, try it out against the pedals you love and work out your rig based on the results. :)
    I know :( but I need to get this right first time out which is why I'm blabbering on so much about it. Won't be able to afford to change anything for about 18 months until I've cleared some guitar debt. So whatever I end up with, that's going to be it for a while
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    @johnonguitar - this isn't blabbering. @thomassross20 has that set of actions nailed. If you're ever feeling bad, read his threads and you'll realise that you're just musing ;-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    johnonguitar;1061162" said:
    [quote="kjdowd;1061150"][quote="johnonguitar;1061118"]So, apparently the backpack isn't released until at least July. Which really could mean anytime. However they are expecting the next batch of Helix at the start of June...

Ps. I did this and sold all the pedals and use the mono bag for the helix. [/quote]

That's actually an awesome idea. Great escape route possibilities
    [/quote]

It's the middle sized mono pedalboard bag. Really well made and touch enough to protect the helix (certainly looks as sturdy as the helix backpack).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    johnonguitar;1061160" said:
    [quote="Cabicular;1060176"]
    Wait is that a PT2? I'm counting 5 slats? I thought it was only the Pro that was five slats?[/quote]

Oops sorry It's a novo 32 then
    I have a few and I must have used the pedaltrain on the G system board
    I know :( but I need to get this right first time out which is why I'm blabbering on so much about it. Won't be able to afford to change anything for about 18 months until I've cleared some guitar debt. So whatever I end up with, that's going to be it for a while
    Well, if it helps, I went from a pedalboard with a Castledine wah, Keeley compressor and a fair few other nice pedals to just the Helix, and I don't miss the old setup. I never A/Bd them, I just got on with it.

One patch does reproduce the entire old pedalboard to a very acceptable standard. Only the fake bass setting is much, much better (largely thanks to Mr Fretmeister's EQ advice).
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    edited May 2016
    Sporky;1061134" said:
    I'd say don't second-guess yourself. Wait until the Helix arrives, try it out against the pedals you love and work out your rig based on the results. :)
    I feel your pain. It's reduced me to blabbering too. its' the cost I think... it's a must get right purchase as it involves a complete rig change and testing it out is difficult.

Scouring TGP has also been bad - been quite a number of helix u turns over there.

Buy it , love it, eye caught by some thing else, flip it, justify it - seems to be a common theme over there.
    Scouring TGP has also been bad - been quite a number of helix u turns over there.

Buy it , love it, eye caught by some thing else, flip it, justify it - seems to be a common theme over there.
    They're an unhealthy bunch for that from what I've seen.

Thing is, Helix resale values are pretty healthy as supply still isn't fulfilling demand, so it's not a huge risk purchase.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714

not just there ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I'm pondering the rack and controller rather than the floor unit to avoid pint induced destruction.

Does the floor unit have an expression pedal socket?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    edited May 2016
    DesVegas said:

not just there ;)
    I meant more in terms of helix, rather than generally - there been some spectacular u turns.
    I'm pondering the rack and controller rather than the floor unit to avoid pint induced destruction.

Does the floor unit have an expression pedal socket?
    The controller has three expression inputs and a toe switch input. The rack also has three expression inputs and a toe switch input; you can use either set.
    Sporky said:
    Well, if it helps, I went from a pedalboard with a Castledine wah, Keeley compressor and a fair few other nice pedals to just the Helix, and I don't miss the old setup. I never A/Bd them, I just got on with it.

One patch does reproduce the entire old pedalboard to a very acceptable standard. Only the fake bass setting is much, much better (largely thanks to Mr Fretmeister's EQ advice).
    I think I'm actually just experiencing a weird GAS over pedals I already have... I just want them there so i can pretend I'm some session cat and do a mid-atlantic accent explaining how i stack gains for "toanz". I need to get a grip. Oh an they're pretty.
    Cabicular said:
    johnonguitar;1061160" said:
    [quote="Cabicular;1060176"]
    Wait is that a PT2? I'm counting 5 slats? I thought it was only the Pro that was five slats?[/quote]

Oops sorry It's a novo 32 then
    I have a few and I must have used the pedaltrain on the G system board
    I think this has cured my pedalboard conundrum. I thought i was going to be able to fit the Helix and a couple of pedals on a PT2 but if its going to be a Novo32 sized board then I'm out. I need it to be as reasonably compact as can be because i dont intent on have a "B" setup for tighter gig situations or home.

Which also knocks dead the Mono bag idea because i would only do that to put the Helix on a small flat board with some pedals but as we have now discovered that won't work

I have however found that the old Pedaltrain 3 will fit the Helix and have space for a Line 6 ex1 expression pedal beside it and some sideways turned drive pedals along the very back row.

However, they are discontinued which means i need to search for a second hand one... which means ill need to take a chance on a second hand old style soft case which weren't the best. Especially with the Helix having such a large screen

And no one makes a Mono style bag to fit the PT3... which means hard case... and i dont want a hard case.

This is bloody stressful haha
    I suppose i could always just plonk it on the PT Pro i already have and go big.... but wasn't the point to make my rig more concise?

And then id need two power leads because my Hot Stone Deluxe doesn't have an Ac out

Man, these are first world problems like no on knows 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    @johnonguitar - Well, if you wanted to sell the PT Pro, assuming its the 80cm wide jobby, I'm on the lookout.....
    I use the mono bag just to carry the helix.