Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    for reference I put the input pad on in the global settings and it makes a pretty significant difference to the tone.
    It seems quite harsh and fizzy without it. I don't have particularly high output guitars it just sounds better to me.
    I encourage you to try it if you haven't already
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    Cabicular said:
    for reference I put the input pad on in the global settings and it makes a pretty significant difference to the tone.
    It seems quite harsh and fizzy without it. I don't have particularly high output guitars it just sounds better to me.
    I encourage you to try it if you haven't already
    I'll 2nd that. Input pad on all the time.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9708
    My Full Fat Helix Floor is in the house... bloody stunning thing !!

Wow. Im really digging it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I didn't want to post a new thread but also don't know where else to put this so... as it's THE Helix thread.

I was using mine into the DAW the other night and also listening back to rehearsal from last week (first time using it there) and I noticed both times I feel like I am hearing a hint of the original signal in there - as in the DI. I know you can output it to DAW for re-amping but I was set to Multi input and output was on that too (I think...) but when I changed it to Digital out (for L6 etc) it seemed to go away.

Not experimented a lot with it but anything you can advise? The Mix setting is fine - I started with an empty preset and built it up - Cab/IR/Amp made no difference - I was using headphones but at rehearsal was 4CM using real amp channel with Helix doing post and pre FX.
    What tracks are you recording with the daw?
    out 1 and 2?
    are you monitoring the Direct signal (7 I think)
    Cabicular said:
    out 1 and 2?
    Out USB 1/2 and monitoring using headphones - not got anything to monitor out to yet but as I say I felt I was getting the same thing in 4CM at rehearsal. Not hearing it on chords so much but single notes - I think the reverb enhances it too - the reverb seems to add a metallic overtone - this is only on gain sounds - clean is fine but you wouldn't notice a DI in there too I guess.
  • Vaiai said:
    Cabicular said:
    out 1 and 2?
    Out USB 1/2 and monitoring using headphones - not got anything to monitor out to yet but as I say I felt I was getting the same thing in 4CM at rehearsal. Not hearing it on chords so much but single notes - I think the reverb enhances it too - the reverb seems to add a metallic overtone - this is only on gain sounds - clean is fine but you wouldn't notice a DI in there too I guess.
    I know this is basic but is it possible you have a dry signal going through path b?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Vaiai said:
    Cabicular said:
    out 1 and 2?
    I know this is basic but is it possible you have a dry signal going through path b?
    Good call
    ive done similar by accident loads of times
    can you post the patch or a pic of i?
    So got everything plugged in last night to investigate and had it going out to my PC speakers (not monitors) but it actually sounded really good! I changed the output to 1/4 only iirc and it sounded great but quieter than the Digital out.
    I never thought of path B but will check - good shout. Is that enabled by default when you start a new preset?

I actually ended up playing with it so much I forgot to really dig in to the issue and I don't think I heard it - need to get this down to the rehearsal rooms again and put it thru the PA too. Would love to use it at next gig - back at The Jam House in June but it's a big gig so I need to be comfortable with the rig.

Will have another look tonight and export the patch

On another note - 2 diff cabs are fun eh :) Some huge sounds! 
  • Can someone do me a favour? Will one of you delightful Helix owners record a short video/demo of a Hank Marvin kind of setting? 
    We know it does the metal thing - how bout the Hornrims?!??
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24844
    Can someone do me a favour? Will one of you delightful Helix owners record a short video/demo of a Hank Marvin kind of setting? 
    Sorry. I'm under 60.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Can someone do me a favour? Will one of you delightful Helix owners record a short video/demo of a Hank Marvin kind of setting? 
    I'll give it a go
    not exactly my go to style but I'll give it a shot
    Ok Forgive the playing and my term is sprung down but it seems similar from what I've heard

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:
    Ok Forgive the playing and my term is sprung down but it seems similar from what I've heard

Nice!!! Good effort indeed.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Cabicular said:

Thanks so much @Cabicular !! Great example :) Was that a multi tap delay mixed with reverb or just a delay? 

Ps for the benefit of @fretmeister , I'm under 60 too lol.
    Dont slag off the Hank - the guitar gig today would be different without him (just left myself open there for more grief lol)!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    It was a compressor, Fender Twin, tape delay (mixed back) 63 spring reverb and a 60s Trem on a very mild setting on a parallel path (it was too prominent inline)
    I changed the mic to a 160 ribbon to round it out 
    all in all it took 5 minutes to build. Someone more familiar with Hank could finesse it with a bit of background knowledge of his rig
    i just listened to Apache and used my common sense
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    You know what is really dope as fuck? Sending midi clock to Helix via the USB connection whilst also recording and reamping digitally via the SPDIF. Sexcellent!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    So this here sceptic got to see and hear a real life Helix at the weekend. Unfortunately I didn't get time to play it. Impressions are:

As an item of allure, it is up there with Apple iProducts when they were new and good. It's like catnip to anyone who appreciates tech and all round good design. Basically it looks the business. Even the clean graphics of the tuner make you want it.

The ease of setting up sounds from scratch and the flexibility in routing etc is not in question, very very well thought out. 

Unfortunately, what we really didn't get to test was the sound - it was going through a PA and the concentration was on setting some sounds up quickly, so they weren't tweaked at all and that came through.

So juries still out for me on the one thing I needed answers on. Oh well, maybe next time!

• Cool that you got to see it up close finally. You really do need to spend some time with it to get the most out of it, hope you get to do that soon too! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 368
    I'm sure this is a simple thing but I can't see how to extend a serial route past the 8 on line 1? Also why would you want to take a delay or other effect out of the serial route and then back in at a different point? Sorry if these are daft questions.....