Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Cool makes sense just thought I'd check if we could save you some ££'s!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    I dont want to appear as daft as the angry yanks after a failed update so would rather clear things up before I mess up ...

How do I update my firmware on a brand new machine without any software on already? 

The release notes all say to backup your Presets in 'current' editor so you don't loose them at factory reset stage. But I don't have any software installed at all. 

Am I right in thinking I need to;
    - download the L6 updater thing
    - download latest editor 
    - connect helix 
    - back up patches in what In editor I just got 
    - follow instructions on release notes from there... 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    I really do have a love / hate relationship with this thing.

Came back to it last night after not playing for 2 weeks - and I hate the tone. Really not liking it; so it's back to the drawing board again.

Not sure if part of the issue is me doing a w/D/w style setup with it with 2 FrFr speakers, or if I'm trying to chase the tone you hear from Gary Moore / Doug Aldrich etc., but I'd have thought a Plexi or 2204 with a boost in front would be roaring; but it just sounds a bit.... flat? 

Grrr... back to scratch again it is then...! :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    FarleyUK said:

Came back to it last night after not playing for 2 weeks - and I hate the tone. Really not liking it; so it's back to the drawing board again.

Not sure if part of the issue is me doing a w/D/w style setup with it with 2 FrFr speakers, or if I'm trying to chase the tone you hear from Gary Moore / Doug Aldrich etc., but I'd have thought a Plexi or 2204 with a boost in front would be roaring; but it just sounds a bit.... flat? 

Yes a 2204 with a TS, through 2 cabs and a bit of reverb is a good place to start, ditch the second FRFR til you get the core sound right.
  • FarleyUK said:

Try the epic
  • John_A said:
    ditch the second FRFR til you get the core sound right.
    Why's that?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sgosden said:
    I dont want to appear as daft as the angry yanks after a failed update so would rather clear things up before I mess up ...

How do I update my firmware on a brand new machine without any software on already? 

The release notes all say to backup your Presets in 'current' editor so you don't loose them at factory reset stage. But I don't have any software installed at all. 

- download latest editor 
    - connect helix 
    Not quite. Check the firmware version on your Helix (it'll show on the screen as you power it up). Then work out when that firmware was released, and look for the last version of the Helix software before that firmware release, install it and back up your patches. Then download the latest firmware updater, and install it. Then get the latest version of the Helix software, install it and restore your patches.

It's a proper faff; I was talking to @Digital_Igloo and he says they're trying to work out a better way of dealing with it all.
    <space for hire>
    John_A said:
    Why's that?
    Just to keep it simple, get your base sound sorted before trying fancy wet dry wet set-ups
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    sgosden said:

- download latest editor 
    - connect helix 
    Not quite. Check the firmware version on your Helix (it'll show on the screen as you power it up). Then work out when that firmware was released, and look for the last version of the Helix software before that firmware release, install it and back up your patches. Then download the latest firmware updater, and install it. Then get the latest version of the Helix software, install it and restore your patches.

It's a proper faff; I was talking to @Digital_Igloo and he says they're trying to work out a better way of dealing with it all.

I seemingly managed to do it with 2.14 firmware & 2.20 editor only a few minor confusions in my patches. I've only really got 4 important ones so have fixed them now.

now on 2.21 firmware and looking forward to updating my bass patches and comparing b7k to obsidian7000 :)

There's only one feature I appear to have lost. but think its due to firmware. I'll play at studio later see if I can fix it.

• John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Why's that?
    Just to keep it simple, get your base sound sorted before trying fancy wet dry wet set-ups
    Ah I missed that bit, thought it was just for straight up stereo, apologies.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Why's that?
    Ah I missed that bit, thought it was just for straight up stereo, apologies.
    No apologies required, I'm the one that normally mis-reads stuff :)
    I've heard of a few people putting a verb before or after a cab / IR block in a dual cab setup; why is that? Does anyone here do it? And if so, what are your settings?
  • FarleyUK said:
    I've heard of a few people putting a verb before or after a cab / IR block in a dual cab setup; why is that? Does anyone here do it? And if so, what are your settings?
    Did you have a download of my dual amp patch?
  • FarleyUK said:
    https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/3189802/
  • Quite a few people have posted dual amp and time delayed stereo clips, here and elsewhere.  Being completely honest I find them disorientating, especially when one sound is bassy and one sound is bright and the sounds are hard panned.  Listening on a pair of headphones with some clips it feels like someone has drawn a diagonal line straight through my head and I feel like I'm leaning to one side.

Maybe it sounds better on speakers that are physically spaced a few feet apart, I've not tried it for myself.  I do not get this feeling with different performances L/R and a lot of my favourite recordings have different sounds L/R, and I don't get this feeling with fake doubled vocals etc... just guitar and specifically anything that goes between palm muting and open chords.

YMMV, that's just how I hear it
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/3189802/
    Yep - but when I copy that delay block to my patch, it has a very weird effect...! I'm just using one amp and a split afterwards for 2 IRs, mind...

I'm assuming that, from looking at the patch you made, it's just used to thicken out the amp on that path?
  • It's just applying a delay to one of the speakers
    unless you are running in stereo it won't do anything other than give you weird phasing

I'm trying to replicate this rig:

http://images.equipb...pg?v=1424625771

One thing I thought about, is that in the Helix we typically have the amp block followed by a cab / IR block... but I'm wondering about having the cab or IR block as the last block in the signal path, kind of similar to how the rig in the link would work (looks like all FX are front of amp as well I think).

Anyone tried it with cab at the end of the path? To me it would seem more like a natural thing, as the signal would hit the amp, then the 'FX loop' area in the helix between the amp and cab.

...or am I over-thinking this? 

• FarleyUK said:

I'm trying to replicate this rig:

http://images.equipb...pg?v=1424625771

One thing I thought about, is that in the Helix we typically have the amp block followed by a cab / IR block... but I'm wondering about having the cab or IR block as the last block in the signal path, kind of similar to how the rig in the link would work (looks like all FX are front of amp as well I think).

Anyone tried it with cab at the end of the path? To me it would seem more like a natural thing, as the signal would hit the amp, then the 'FX loop' area in the helix between the amp and cab.

...or am I over-thinking this? 

Which way sounds best? Go try it and report back :) for me I prefer Reverb and delay post CAB / IR.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    According to Frank over at TGP, the next firmware will have 7 new amps and 7 new effects.