Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited August 2017
    The SLO is one of the best sounds in it, L6 have had a good sounding SLO model going back generations (of modelling)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27139
    The SLO is one of the best sounds in it, L6 have had a good sounding SLO model going back generations (of modelling)
    Yup. Every sound that I like in the Helix turns out to have one of the SLO models at the business end.
    <space for hire>
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2228
    edited August 2017
    Cabicular said:
    I've whacked it up on custom tone with no bells and whistles. Worth switching the flanger on for real 80s cheese!
    You can also have a look at the structure of it if its interesting. path splits, dual amps and pan blocks all included  
    https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/3189802/
    Nice juicy sound. I had to edit the file name type from .l6t to .hlx to get it to work. Is that normal?

Strange how the delay affects the sound (in a good way), even if the delay time is set to zero. I tried switching the delay off but the tone didn't sound as good to me. Having the delay switched in gives it a bit more body.
    It's not a competition.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:
    I've whacked it up on custom tone with no bells and whistles. Worth switching the flanger on for real 80s cheese!
    You can also have a look at the structure of it if its interesting. path splits, dual amps and pan blocks all included  
    https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/3189802/
    Nice juicy sound. I had to edit the file name type from .l6t to .hlx to get it to work. Is that normal?

Strange how the delay affects the sound (in a good way), even if the delay time is set to zero. I tried switching the delay off but the tone didn't sound as good to me. Having the delay switched in gives it a bit more body.
    I don't know about the file name .. I saved it in native so I don't know if that makes a difference
    you can lost the delay and do the same thing with the mic distance but it starts to get a bit boxy sounding past 4 
    it works quite well up to about 50ms after which it gets a bit slap back
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Haven't looked in detail yet but this site looks good, there's also an IR manager for Helix on there

https://helixhelp.com/
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    John_A said:
    Haven't looked in detail yet but this site looks good, there's also an IR manager for Helix on there

https://helixhelp.com/

Looks like they're still building the information in. But its got a lot of potential.
  • Cabicular said:

what I do these day is stick a send block before the cab emulation and use. If I ever go into power amps etc. And save the XLRs and 1/4 for PA and if I'm bringing my own monitor ... the monitor
    So, do you have to set the 'dry thru' to something other than 0.0dB to get a signal to the emulated cab?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29209
    Don't think so. 0.0dB is unity gain, so the dry signal goes through at the same level it comes in.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Don't think so. 0.0dB is unity gain, so the dry signal goes through at the same level it comes in.
    Yup - just checked...cool. That's easy then. Thanks :)
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
    edited September 2017
    Sorry - another probably stupid question but I can't quite see where I am going wrong. I wanted to set the Helix up in 4CM with my Orange TH-30 just so I have the option of using the amp tone. I've used 4CM before so I'm pretty sure I have the cabling right but I'm not getting any sound out of the Orange pre-amp. Well...I do get a very faint signal through but barely audible.

When I switch back to the modelled amp then all is fine. I checked online and people do use the TH-30 in 4CM with the Helix so it's not anything weird about the amp per se. Is there something I should do with the loop? I am using FX loop 1...I've tried both line and instrument level.

It's probably something stupid...

[edit] oh - the mix is 100%, so all the signal should be going through the s/r block.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Sorry - another probably stupid question but I can't quite see where I am going wrong. I wanted to set the Helix up in 4CM with my Orange TH-30 just so I have the option of using the amp tone. I've used 4CM before so I'm pretty sure I have the cabling right but I'm not getting any sound out of the Orange pre-amp. Well...I do get a very faint signal through but barely audible.

When I switch back to the modelled amp then all is fine. I checked online and people do use the TH-30 in 4CM with the Helix so it's not anything weird about the amp per se. Is there something I should do with the loop? I am using FX loop 1...I've tried both line and instrument level.

It's probably something stupid...

[edit] oh - the mix is 100%, so all the signal should be going through the s/r block.

you checked you've definitely got the send > input and fx send > helix return?

I got em all muddled setting up for a gig, and looked right stupid till I pulled it all out and started again.

• Pretty sure...just connected a cable between the send and return on the amp to see if the loop was borked in some way but that seems fine...

I'll go check the cables again... :anguished: 
    I don't know, but I can make some suggestions for how to troubleshoot it.

First just put a patch lead across send/return 1. That'll tell you if the issue is in the amp or in the Helix.

Then try a patch lead across the amp's send/return to see if there's a problem with its loop.

Then try guitar straight into the amp's return - from what you've said, that'll work.
  • @gearaddict I'm sure you've not done this but is the loop (Helix one) bypassed? I've done that before. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Figured it out. It's a volume thing. I remember this from the Pod too. You basically have to have the volume on the unit set to maximum. It means I have to turn the channel volume on the modelled amp down to virtually nothing in order to switch between real and modelled pre-amps.

Problem is not having a master volume on the power amp on the TH-30.

Hmm...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7782
    don't use 4CM myself but by way of troubleshooting:

did you use the template 4CM patch (in the templates bank)? if not maybe try that first to rule anything major out.

And/or post pics of your screen inc with parameters showing for the send/return bits 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I suppose I could put a volume boost just in front of the S/R loop and have them go on and off together...
  • I suspect I will rapidly tire of trying to balance these volume levels and just go direct.
    Have you looked at the template 4CM patch as timmyo suggested?
  • Sporky said:
    Have you looked at the template 4CM patch as timmyo suggested?
    Sorry, yes I was just looking at that. Thanks for the tip - I hadn't looked at the templates. The main difference is that the template uses the pre-amp version which is quite a bit quieter than the full amp. I guess this makes sense in theory but I was hoping to have a feed to the PA as well so I'm not sure how it would sound in that context.

Running through the amps and pre-amps on the Helix, I generally preferred the amp sounds (this was going direct into the fx return of the TH-30 or into the Magnum 44) so I had pretty much discounted the pre-amps.

I would still have to fiddle with the channel volume, even with the pre-amps so probably doesn't make too much difference. Just means I have to have it at 4 instead of 1.