Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    edited August 2017

To all you who know this thing better than me, when you, for example, drop a reverb in after an amp/cab, I've seen people drop it onto a line below, but still have it connected to the main chain....just wondering, why?

Also, what compressors and settings do you suggest?

I'm after a really raunchy early Marshall tone that will take fuzz well. Not huge amounts of gain, lots of clarity w/o the fuzz, just RAUNCHY! Advice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:
    BTW I've switched all my patches from the modded 2204 to the Line 6 epic
    a lot more mid range and a great sounding rock amp

O RLY? That's interesting, don't think I've even tried that model!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451

To all you who know this thing better than me, when you, for example, drop a reverb in after an amp/cab, I've seen people drop it onto a line below, but still have it connected to the main chain....just wondering, why?

I'm after a really raunchy early Marshall tone that will take fuzz well. Not huge amounts of gain, lots of clarity w/o the fuzz, just RAUNCHY! Advice?

I believe the parralleleelelelalelrlelelell path with the reverb is typically to stop a delay / reverb issue where the delay repeats into the reverb, or vice-versa; helps keep each FX distinct.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    FarleyUK said:

I believe the parralleleelelelalelrlelelell path with the reverb is typically to stop a delay / reverb issue where the delay repeats into the reverb, or vice-versa; helps keep each FX distinct.
    Exactly that
    Never really found it to be an issue, I'm used to the sound of delay going into reverb
    Have a look at the jumped Matchless. It may be an AC30 type amp but the sound sod all like an AC30 (I have a real one and can confirm that)
    But change the Cab to something like 4x12 with greenbacks.
    Put an hi lo cut EQ block afterwards and roll the hi cut down to where it is still clear but has more guitar like high end

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353

Ah makes sense! Thanks! Will try that.

I just cannot stop getting a really farty / bloated sound when using the 2204 / modded 2204 and I hit a low note. I know you can set the sag to 0 to help eliminate this, but that seems to take away a lot of the feel.

Anyone else come across this?
  • FarleyUK said:
    I just cannot stop getting a really farty / bloated sound when using the 2204 / modded 2204 and I hit a low note. I know you can set the sag to 0 to help eliminate this, but that seems to take away a lot of the feel.

Have you tried using some kind of low frequency cut method before hitting the amp?  Could be done with EQ or a pedal like a Tubescreamer/SD1 (though they'll change the tone a bit).
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    And here is why so many of us put a tube screamer in front of a JCM 800 back in the day!

I'd try the TS808 or for more subtle the Klon, both do that great
    peteri said:
    And here is why so many of us put a tube screamer in front of a JCM 800 back in the day!

I'd try the TS808 or for more subtle the Klon, both do that great
    Ha! Cheers guys - just tried the mic tube preamp in front, with the gain at 4.5, line level, and low cut at 140 (level set to 10). That seems to clear it up a bit :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    FarleyUK said:

Turn down the amp channel and master volume (mostly master tbh) and turn up the cab block's output level.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
    Are there any Helix amps that model the more modern Marshalls - like the DSL-50? Or what would be the closest? I use to gig one and I'm interested to see if there's a Helix model that will remind me of that tone.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7768
    Are there any Helix amps that model the more modern Marshalls - like the DSL-50? Or what would be the closest? I use to gig one and I'm interested to see if there's a Helix model that will remind me of that tone.
    Not 'sounds like' but try the Mandarin 80 - love it as an authoratative sounding rock amp 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7768
    I submitted a feature request to have the Tuner button select your external tuner...

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/906755

Red ones are better. 
  • I see there's a poll on another guitar forum about which modelling is best; Line 6 or Fractal.

Fractal seems to have run away with it
  • I see there's a poll on another guitar forum about which modelling is best; Line 6 or Fractal.

Sounds scientific lol.

I still doubt that many people have tried both for a vote on a webforum to mean that much.

It's probably more likely to be a Fractal owner who has tried Native, than a Helix owner who has tried a Fractal unit, but even then I'd take it with a grain of salt when it comes to polls about expensive equipment not everyone has tried.  The only thing that really matters if you enjoy it or not.

FWIW I prefer the Helix bass gear.  It's easier to make sound good, and there's more choice.  I'd expect the result would look different on a bass forum anyway
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    edited August 2017
    Had a chance to play mine at home loud through yammy hs7s. Playing strat into a Brit plexi bright with 412 greenbacks, 808 going into the front. The greater the volume the more it feels like playing through an amp...certainly more percussive.

However much I try I can't seem to get that 'bloom' on notes beyond the 12th fret. I tried an eq block with mids cranked into the front of the amp and it still didn't get me there.

Any ideas?

Sounds scientific lol.

I still doubt that many people have tried both for a vote on a webforum to mean that much.

It's probably more likely to be a Fractal owner who has tried Native, than a Helix owner who has tried a Fractal unit, but even then I'd take it with a grain of salt when it comes to polls about expensive equipment not everyone has tried.  The only thing that really matters if you enjoy it or not.

FWIW I prefer the Helix bass gear.  It's easier to make sound good, and there's more choice.  I'd expect the result would look different on a bass forum anyway
    Yeah you're probably right but I'm thinking if there's a large enough sample section then the Line 6 guys should probably take notice of the results 
  • Maybe. I think L6 seem pretty happy with their modelling so it's probably a taste thing too.

I'd like it if Fractal took notice of how Line 6 have handled bass gear in the Helix personally.
  • Problem is, Fractal rarely listen to anyone but themselves.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cliff is clearly obsessed with guitar. I think it sounds incredible for guitar but he could've paused at some point before hitting 250+ guitar amp models to do a few more bass amps... lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom