Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Wow congrats on 17 years. Have a nice day don't worry about any clips 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    No. Screw your 17 years. Give more clips.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    With that said...unless you're listening on headphones through your phone, you really won't hear it properly. Obviously.
    Yup but I have that technology:)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7781
    Drew_TNBD said:
    No. Screw your 17 years. Give more clips.
    haha
    Red ones are better. 
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
    Quick question on routing...I wanted to split my signal so I can send one feed direct to the 1/4" output for backline and one feed to the XLR for the PA. It seems that the 1/4" feed bleeds through to the XLR though, unless I turn the output down to -120db - which then means I get nothing to the backline. I must be doing it wrong.

I really need to find time to read that manual!
    Can you show me the routing?
    The other way to do it is out a send block and take one of the outputs from that
    Ah, ignore me. I was doing something stupid  I was using the headphones for monitoring and didn't realise they got their feed from 'multi' by default. D'oh!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2354

I managed to approximate the tone of the more recent QOTSA releases over the weekend. I still need to dive in to do more work on it, but basically I used the Stone Age 185 through dual cabs, one being the 1x12 Lead 80 (I think - definitely one of the 1x12s) and a bass cab (one of the 1x18s) and I messed with the mics a touch. I obviously added fuzz (Triangle) and a Minotaur right at the beginning of the chain.

Lot's to perfect with it, but it sounds great!

Ah, ignore me. I was doing something stupid  I was using the headphones for monitoring and didn't realise they got their feed from 'multi' by default. D'oh!
    yep - you've probably seen it now but you can select what feeds the phones to make it just one of those if you prefer 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    yep - you've probably seen it now but you can select what feeds the phones to make it just one of those if you prefer 
    I had assumed that whatever came out of the 1/4" was probably what was sent to the headphones, for some reason. Not knowing much about these things, I thought the XLR signal was probably 'special' in some way that would mean you couldn't just send it to headphones. It's a learning experience :)

I'm also not sure about the instument / line level choice...for sending a signal into a real power amp and cab, I'm guessing instrument level is appropriate? Not sure about sending a XLR signal to a PA or the same signal to headphones...
    TimmyO said:
    I had assumed that whatever came out of the 1/4" was probably what was sent to the headphones, for some reason. Not knowing much about these things, I thought the XLR signal was probably 'special' in some way that would mean you couldn't just send it to headphones. It's a learning experience :)

I'm also not sure about the instument / line level choice...for sending a signal into a real power amp and cab, I'm guessing instrument level is appropriate? Not sure about sending a XLR signal to a PA or the same signal to headphones...
    Xlr into the PA is very very hot at mic level and needs padded down ime so I generally choose line level
    The XLR outs aren't special but you can make them that way
    what I do these day is stick a send block before the cab emulation and use. If I ever go into power amps etc. And save the XLRs and 1/4 for PA and if I'm bringing my own monitor ... the monitor
    You could put 1 XLR to the PA and the other to your monitor but I run in Stereo so that's no use for me

Cabicular said:

Xlr into the PA is very very hot at mic level and needs padded down ime so I generally choose line level
    The XLR outs aren't special but you can make them that way
    what I do these day is stick a send block before the cab emulation and use. If I ever go into power amps etc. And save the XLRs and 1/4 for PA and if I'm bringing my own monitor ... the monitor
    You could put 1 XLR to the PA and the other to your monitor but I run in Stereo so that's no use for me

Thanks...helpful.

Using a S/R block is probably much more efficient and neater than the way I have it routed atm. I'll give that a go.

Not sure if this is a normal part of the Helix ownership cycle of despondency but I'm considering sending it back. I think I'm just not very good at setting up the various parameters on the amps and effects to get the best out of them...I think I might be better off with the limitations of physical boxes...
    Yeah, I'm thinking maybe this isn't for me. I'm getting bored of the constant fiddling and feeling like I'm just not quite getting there. It's just sucking up too much time. The guys in the store are ok with me returning it so I think I'll do that while it's still an option.

I'm just too simple minded for these clever devices I think. And ham fisted...the joystick really frustrates me. I keep changing models by mistake and I can't see a way to undo that so I keep losing my settings. Or I brush against the footswitch with my hand and suddenly I'm adjusting some completely other thing by mistake.

I'll sleep on it but I think I should maybe stay away from this high tech stuff.  =)
    I've knocked up this patch in Native. Liking the big guitar sound. Anyone want it?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    I've knocked up this patch in Native. Liking the big guitar sound. Anyone want it?

that is 100% hairspray and and further 100% lipgloss

awesome
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've whacked it up on custom tone with no bells and whistles. Worth switching the flanger on for real 80s cheese!
    You can also have a look at the structure of it if its interesting. path splits, dual amps and pan blocks all included  :)
    https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/3189802/
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    edited August 2017
    OK, here's a patch I knocked-up for the gig last Friday; first time trying the mic pre-amp in front of the 2204 amp as a clean boost (gain at 4.2, level at 10). Sounds pretty decent I think (excuse the crappy playing, singing, drums etc.). Plus, this was the first time I tried the bassist through the Helix as well....

https://www.facebook.com/daryl.greaves/videos/10159275398065437/
    Cabicular said:
    I've whacked it up on custom tone with no bells and whistles. Worth switching the flanger on for real 80s cheese!
    You can also have a look at the structure of it if its interesting. path splits, dual amps and pan blocks all included  :)
    Which amp(s) are you using?
    Cabicular said:
    Download it and see ;)
    im using the slo and the badonk. I have a 22ms 100% wet delay on one side of stereo to give that double tracked feel and open out the stereo

Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    Download it and see ;)
    im using the slo and the badonk. I have a 22ms 100% wet delay on one side of stereo to give that double tracked feel and open out the stereo

I'd have to unpack the Helix :)

Interesting...I've not really played much with those.