Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• @Drew_TNBD my love for guitars (great guitars) has been restored now I'm not concentrating on pedals. Buy a really nice one for yourself! Or a couple! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7751
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I think I'm gonna ... *gulp* .... sell all my single stomps.... I've not really used them for months now. The Helix has pretty much replaced the following:

Timeline
    DD500
    Nemesis
    Small Stone
    Polara
    DC5 PSU
    OCD
    Micro Amp
    Ibanez DE7

Question is... what do I buy in their place!?! I'm very fond of the Timeline, DD500, and Nemesis... but there's very little point in keeping them.
    Keep the bottom 5 as a mini board? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    TimmyO said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Keep the bottom 5 as a mini board? 
    Waste of time IMO, been there and done that, went from a big board that sat unused to a small one that did the same.  I bought two new guitars with the money I got from selling my pedals.  Still have a few sitting in the classifieds at knock down prices with little interest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    I bought two new guitars with the money I got from selling my pedals.  
    Me too, best thing I ever did! I'm happier with my guitars now than I ever have been because of the change of focus and mindset. Before, it would always be "let's upgrade the pedals", now it's "what Suhr or PRS do I want!", which seems more correct, to my mind, as a 'guitarist'!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4771

Any news on 2.30?  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995

Any news on 2.30?  

guessing focus is still on native for a little while
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
    Not sure if this is the best thread for random Helix questions but...what's the easiest way to check if you are getting a decent tone using emulated cabs? I don't have a monitoring setup at home (yet?) but I want to experiment with going straight to PA at practice. It would be good to at least be able to monitor enough so I can select a cab that sounds vaguley decent before wasting everyone's time at practice.

I'm guessing the headphone socket isn't going to give a similar tone to what I get from the XLR - or is it good enough?

I notice that when I switch on the emulated cab my volume through my real power amp & cab is a lot lower than when I bypass it. If I run both at practice, what's the best way to balance the levels?

Thanks!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    Not sure if this is the best thread for random Helix questions but...what's the easiest way to check if you are getting a decent tone using emulated cabs? I don't have a monitoring setup at home (yet?) but I want to experiment with going straight to PA at practice. It would be good to at least be able to monitor enough so I can select a cab that sounds vaguley decent before wasting everyone's time at practice.

I'm guessing the headphone socket isn't going to give a similar tone to what I get from the XLR - or is it good enough?

I notice that when I switch on the emulated cab my volume through my real power amp & cab is a lot lower than when I bypass it. If I run both at practice, what's the best way to balance the levels?

Thanks!
    Spend a day at the rehearsal studio on your own and do the patches at gig volume.

Use volume blocks in the chain wherever you need them.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274

Thanks!
    I've spent very little time with my LT. I created a patch that I monitored using headphones and then used the same patch plugged into a PA at band practice. It sounded amazing through the PA (after sounding fairly decebtbthriugh headphones). I think youll get a decent opinion of cab sounds through headphones and then need to do some eq tweaking through PA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Wowzers. Just hooked it up to my new HS7s. I'm playing quietly as kids are in bed but it's several levels up from monitoring through headphones, or playing through an amp at this volume. 

Wish I had done this a lot sooner
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284

Spent the night with it again - I've now got two sets of patches - (for my LT) I'm happy with, one which is a small pedalboard for in front of an amp. Gives me all I need with four snapshots and four modifiers.

As I've said before sounds 95% as good as my G2/Wampler/Strymon main board. Honestly it sounds amazing until you compare it to the G2 rig, and I just can't close that 5% gap. There's a slight loss of punch or feel that no matter what I try I just can't get. The sound of the pick on the strings if you like - frustrating in principle but not a showstopper.

Other patch is basically the same sounds, but for headphones/PA - that sounds absolutely amazing. I'm completely maxing out the DSP to do it in snapshots but with a small bit of cleverness I've got it all where I want it.

So definitely keeping mine, happy I can make it work into an amp - with a very small compromise - and that it will absolutely kill into a PA/headphones.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    A dumb question .. what's the difference between the Helix LT and the Helix .. it's not clear from the Line 6 website.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Scribble Strips, Mic input and a few other bits and bobs iirc,

• SporkySporky Frets: 29171
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I still think its worth buying the full fat version though, you also get Native cheaper ;)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Fretwired said:
    A dumb question .. what's the difference between the Helix LT and the Helix .. it's not clear from the Line 6 website.
     The main one for me is 8 buttons available on the Lt vs 10 on the Full rack
    those two make all the difference for me
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27087
    Spent a couple of hours with my newly-arrived LT...this thing's basically witchcraft, as far as I can tell. I've already set up the patch for all of the stuff I currently do with my band - clean/crunch/lead channels of the SLO, two delays, reverb, phaser, some boosts and a cab, all controlled by 5 snapshots.

Interesting point: mine came with the 2.12.2 firmware, and I can't add a pitch block to the beginning of it (need some rumbly octaves for one song) due to lack of DSP capacity. However, Drew can add it on his Helix, which is on 2.21 firmware. It seems that the later version is more efficient somehow.

Sadly, I don't have time to muck around further today, so the update will have to happen tomorrow.

In any case, I'm absolutely stunned by it. Well played, Line 6. Well played indeed.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I plumped for the Rack version too, a lot more useful for me, one neat touch is that the Brain module has no fan and is totally silent, unlike my Axe Fx2 which is on its 3rd fan and now has a speed controller fitted
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29171

In any case, I'm absolutely stunned by it. Well played, Line 6. Well played indeed.
    And to think I remember you all adamant that you needed a bazillion amps per patch so it'd never work for you.

To be fair I remember a lot of things that didn't actually happen.

Don't mind me.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27087
    Sporky said:

And to think I remember you all adamant that you needed a bazillion amps per patch so it'd never work for you.

To be fair I remember a lot of things that didn't actually happen.

Don't mind me.
    No, I was adamant that Drew needed a bazillion amps per patch.

I just need three, and it does that just fine :)
    <space for hire>